Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thunderfunk DI recordings

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Norwegianwood, Mar 22, 2005.

1. So I contributed to this contest at another forum...I recorded some clips and people should "guess" wich songs I were playing. I used my Thunderfunks DI with pream section left flat. No EQ done. Bass is a passive Warwick Corvette.
    This sounds nothing like the amp with my Shcroeder, but if you are interested in hearing it recorded on my crappy soundcard:

http://home.online.no/~pertlars/Thunderfunk/

(Oh, and don't mind my sloppy playing. And yeah, I use a pick on number one!I should also add, I hear now, that this were very dead strings. So it really does not do the amp any justice. )

2. ardorx

ardorx

Sep 23, 2004
    Sugar Land, TX
    that's badass. i think #2 is from the game "paperboy" but i doubt it.

3. LOL, being a bassist and not recognicing number 2!Shame on you!

4. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    5 is Orion. 1 and 3 sound familliar but I can't place them. The rest draw nothing but blanks.

Oh yeah, I dig the tone.

5. isnt #2 chameleon

6. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Uh oh....I think I may have G.A.S.!!

7. HELLO! try the "technique" forum or something!....Has our amp section turned into a sound bite for MP3's?....If I'm wrong please forgive me but I thought this was a discussion forum and had to do with information we can all use about Amp, cabs and the use of them and maybe problems we have....Maybe I'm wrong here but to me this thread is just silly...............

8. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    I think the sound of an amp through a DI is a pretty useful thing to know dude. :eyebrow: It's a DI recording of a specifc AMP, no? Relax.

oh, right...HELLO! :rolleyes:

9. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    As far as I'm concerned you couldn't be more wrong! You don't think what an amp sounds like is information we can use about it?

You're comment about trying the technique forum was pretty rude too!

10. Cool! crank up your computer speakers and tell us all what you have learned about sound with this particular rig!

11. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    That's the point. It's not a rig, it's just a D.I.

12. 1.) Muse-Hysteria :hyper:

2.) ? :confused:

3.) Jaco - Portrait of Tracy

4.) ? :confused:

5.) Metallica - Orion :hyper:

6.) ? :confused:

13. ardorx

ardorx

Sep 23, 2004
    Sugar Land, TX

:meh: :help: :crying:

14. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Dude... (!)

Before I got to your wet-blanket post here, I was thinking how relavent this is! My wife (former bassist and music store manager) and I sat down and carefully listened to each of the tracks - having this great opportunity to first hear controlled, direct recordings of this amp I'm (we're.. gulp...) thinking of investing in. What's with you, Man??

Anyway: Thanks, N. Wood - this is the most critical listen I've had yet of this amp that's.. bothering... me so much. Yup - it's been really bothering me. (..and it's just a couple-hour drive from here down to the TF World Headquarters, where I could go and decide on one with help from Mr. Funk himself!)

Cheryle was saying that the low-end sounded kind-of 'blurry'. I think that's related to what I like about this kind of sound. I DON'T think it sounds blurry, but a little compressed compared to the more open-sounding upper-mids. I'm still learning, but I think that maybe I'm not one that goes as much for the real open, crystal Hi-fi-headroom sound. I think I like an amp to sound more like 'it's gritting its teeth', or like it's 'under pressure' or something - know what I Mean?

What I'd like to know is - instead of me making up these terms out of my head, what are conventional sort of amp-conesseur ways of describing or quantifying this major division between 'colored' and 'un-colored' amp types or amp sounds?

I notice that at the TF site - on the page that goes over some 'preamp details' -
    http://www.thunderfunk.com/TFB420_Preamp.html
    it's said that the power supply is intentionally set up to have "sag", which they say is 'tube-like'. That's interesting to me - I know what 'supply sag' is; it's generally an undisireable condition assosiated with a supply exhibiting 'poor regulation', but I also know that when it comes to guitar amps, there can be a natuaral sort of dynamic range compression that comes along with having a tube rectifier in the amp's supply (the most extreme I ever heard this effect is on a special amp mod that I made once to a Fender VibroChamp - where I used the vibro circuitry (just the tube socket, really) as extra gain stages, and pretty-well duplicated a Marshal front-end with it (even a real 'presence' control in a feedback loop!). That thing had TONS of great-sounding natural compression!).

Joe

15. jeff schmidt

jeff schmidt no longer red carded, but my butt is still sore.

Aug 27, 2004
    Novato, CA
    Yeah - - we dont want to actually HEAR what various amps sound like. We just want to GAS over pictures and opinions!

;)

16. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    "Tell us all" ?

Why is it that in your singular person you are trying to create the effect of a majority?

17. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Good one, Man.

Joe

18. Well, like I stated in my first post even though I find it obvious; this doesn't give my rig any justice. But it sounds like my Thunderfunk going straight into a mixer. I don't think I was all wrong when I thought that somebody might find that interesting. Also note my comment about dead strings....The sound is a lot clearer with new strings - and "opens" more up.

And the song guessing...well, that really doesn't belong in Amp sections, but that wasn't the intention of my post either. So if I'm really that "bad" when I do this, feel free to moderate the very last part of my post anyone.

You have gotten this songs right so far:
    1) Muse - Hysteria
    2) Herbie - Chameleon (oh well, I don't groove - but nevermind:) )
    3) Jaco - Portrait of Tracy
    5) Metallica - Orion

19. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Well I found it interesting enough to realize what my next amp will be if funds ever permit.

20. Hey Norwegianwood, do you remember what settings you used on your TF to get these sounds? that tone is killer

3 cheers for thread reserection :bassist: