Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thunderfunk / Epifani UL502

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ozbass, Oct 6, 2005.

1. Ozbass

Ozbass

Apr 11, 2005
    Hi All
    I'm in the market for a second amp head and the Thunderfunk is interesting me now it's available here in Aus.

I have the Epifani UL502 and rate it highly. I also have the Epi UL310 and have a UL410 on the way.

Has anyone done an A/B comparison between the TF and the 502....

Cheers
    Oz

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    calling Kjung? ;)

but if all goes according to plan, i should have a TF550 on the way, too. :cool:

3. Ozbass

Ozbass

Apr 11, 2005
    Hey Joker

Are you hoping the TF is gonna offer something different to your Epi? :)

Cheers
    Oz

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
  5. Hello guys! I have not had the pleasure of playing the Epi amps... but have heard great things about them. I'm (as you know :) ) very happy with my TF EpiUL combination, so have not been very motivated to check them out at the moment. However :D ... after they've produced the 902 for a while .... I might just have to check that out!

K

6. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

If you are considering these two heads, you may also want to give the Aguilar AG500 a look/listen. It's roughly in the same price range, weight wattage and tone as the ones mentioned...

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    actually, i'm getting the TF to mate w/ my Acme B2.

lots of guys seem to think that super punchie tone of TF is a terrific match w/ the more neutral accugroove's, so i figured maybe my Acmes would fare just as well.

8. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I formerly used a TFB-420 and now use a UL-502. Both great amps.

Caveat: My direct A/B experience consisted of playing through both of 'em for several hours at a local dealer, going through an Epi 310UL... so it's not based on an actual gig, or even rehearsal, scenario.

Personally, I preferred the sounds I was hearing from the 502... sounded 'fuller' to my ears, and also cleaner/clearer in the high-end. There was a certain high-mid presence in the TFB420 that helps in terms of articulation and cutting, but which I also don't care for as much... not unlike a sound I hear from Eden amps. Great sound for many people, though I prefer to dial that timbre out. Again... both great amps, but for me the sounds I was getting from the 502 (tried both flat, as well as with various EQ modifications), esp when playing slap, were more to my liking.

Of course, the two amps also have different features.... a big part of my decision to go with the 502 was the 2-channel design, which I find very useful for transitioning between fingerstyle and slap. Dave Funk very graciously modified my TFB-420 with an additional input on the rear so I could run an external preamp into the power amp section of the TF and switch between the two pres using an A/B pedal... worked well, though better with some preamps than others. In general I liked having the 2-ch capability designed into the amp from the outset. Alternatively, you may love the Timbre & Enhance knobs on the TF, or may decide that you can't live withoug the mid-cut setting on the 502 (which is great, by the way).

9. Ozbass

Ozbass

Apr 11, 2005
    Of course, I could just get the Epifani UL902 as my second amp head.
    This would make for a nice neat inter-changeable gear list
    of the UL502 and UL902 heads with the UL310 and UL410 cabs :hyper:

Anyone got any news on whether the 902 is available anywhere yet? :confused:

10. That would be nice. How about a 6x10Ul then?

Ultimate basses in Canada is saying that they have a 902 on order on bassgear.com!

-Christian

11. Ozbass

Ozbass

Apr 11, 2005
    .....Yeah, i saw that too. Nobody listing them as "in stock" tho :meh:

I did consider the UL610.....but that is getting up to the weight of my old Eden Metro(and is larger)I never enjoyed lugging that sucker! :eek: ...so I decided to go with the UL410

I like the idea the UL902's 900Watts into that 410 :D

12. I'm also waiting my 4x10Ul!

Have you concider the Epi poweramp then you run both your epi cabs together? Maybe later add a 2x12UL :smug:

-Christian

13. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Any more recent experiences with both these amps?

14. The PS600 has come out since the start of this thread, and I've heard nothing but good things about it... single channel vs. the two channel 502.... half the weight, 2/3rds the price, an additional 100 watts (although has a switching power supply versus traditional). It is also designed to be rack mounted, versus the optional 'bagability' of the 502.

Unless someone needs the second channel, it seems the PS600 would be a better bet. I love my TF, but would enjoy hearing the PS600 sometime.

15. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I was considering the same.

BP mag said that they couldn't tell the difference in the tone between the UL502 and the PS600, but I'm not real sure if that tells me anything or not.

I think Tommixx has (or has had) the TF and UL -- I try searching on his name and the various monikers.

16. Chace90

Chace90 Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Not positive, but I'm pretty sure you can't run a 310 & 410 together with the UL502... It won't bridge that low.

17. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    correctomundo,

but the 902 will handle both with ease, tho it might sound a little funny.