Thunderfunk EQ Settings

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FunkyLemz, Dec 10, 2005.

1. FunkyLemz

Oct 17, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hello all, Im new to the EQ world and just wanted to know some of your favorite settings on the Tfunk. If you could be descriptive on what style it corresponds to. (i.e. - slap/funk drop the mids - highs 90% lows 85%) - i dunno whatever you guys feel is right

Thanks in advance,
  2. Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne

i don't own a thunderfunk, i would like too, however...

think i've seen a few places people say a great starting point for them is the enhance up one or two notches and the timbre control back about the same.

anyone got any thoughts on this?

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I start with the eq flat, adjust the timbre ccw to taste (usually 1 notch at most) and boost some low mids around 400-500hz usually.
  4. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Youse guys here prolly won't care, but:
    For Double Bass I run enhance all the way to the right. Timbre two clicks right. Low bass rolled back 1 or two depending on the room. 800hz -15db or so. That's my DB baseline, everything else flat unless the room needs something adjusted.
    For electric it's more complicated...I have 10 basses that are all very different from each other, so this can vary a lot by axe. I start with everything flat and tweak each bass as it needs. For example, the big and beefy 1972 Telecaster needs timbre 2-3 clicks right, low bass rolled out a little, highs rolled in a little. Skyline Hollowbody is sorta similar that way. The P basses need some low end rolled in to beef them up. The Reverends can run dang near flat. The G&L's I tend to run nearly flat as well.
    A lot of this varies by room and speaker cab as well.
    I leave enhance all the way right for everything...I run my eden's and swr's this way as well. Probably a character flaw on my part;)
  5. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    1) 85% boost on *any frequency* with a TFB is likely not to work real well-the eq section is pretty powerful and small changes are pretty effective.

2) Home eq doesn't equal live eq: true dat.
  6. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    You mean we are supposed to eq these things? ;)

I've futzed around with the eq, but usually end up back at flat :cool:
  7. FunkyLemz

Oct 17, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Anything more specific? Im not saying what you guys aid didnt help, but Im just greedy :D
  8. Even with my very different sounding basses, as many have stated above, I usually just tweek the timbre control very slightly, usually toward 11 o'clock, and then use the enhance between off and 9 o'clock depending on the room and bass. Depending on the cab, I might add just a small touch of bass. Lastly, I use the switch based on the room, the bass, and the style of playing.... with the switch 'down' for more aggressive slap and funk playing, and 'up' for 'mellower' gigs or in very boomy rooms.

The only amp I've ever had to EQ less is the Walter Woods, where just a touch of extra bass is virtually all I've ever had to do to get a great sound out of it.... maybe a touch of lower mids depending on the cab, but that's it.
  9. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    too true,

still, the "timbre" knob is like the "TF will now mind meld w/ whatever cab you're using and room you're gigging" knob. just amazing what little i have to do w/ just that little knob!

the parametric is quite good, too. i was pleased to find that the knob seems to be accurately tuned to whatever frequency they're centering, which is problematic of most basscentric para'd amps/pre's i've used.

e.g. boosting +15dB, i can sweep the lows para knob until i reach a point where the cab no longer responds, demonstrating the lowest possible "published by the manufacturer" frequency of my cab, and the accuracy of the EQ!

how's it gigging? well, again, BIG thx to mr. DW for allowing me to use the TFB for some moderately levelled gigs. i tried the TF w/ my Acme, and good lord, they were stupendously great w/ one another!

i mostly use the timbre knob, and WAMMO, joker tone. but, some rooms, i like boosting the lower mids until i hear something that's agreeable. then, i'll pull bck some in the middle mids to give my keyboard player some room to breath. then, i'll add a dash of the enhance knob for a touch of upper end air. not too much, cause abusing the enhance knob will rob the overall sound of too much "present" fatness, akin to the Eden line of amps. if the room is especially boomy, i'll pull back on the timbre knob, which did a surprisingly terrific job! sure, its not surgical like my Demeter HBP-1, but it worked! at times, i felt like i was pulling too much away, and thus had to compensate w/ the semi para section, but all in all, not too shabby!

bottom line, ALL AMPS SHOULD COME W/ THE TIMBRE KNOB. really, it adds sooooooo much to the amp's versatility and its place in the great amps pantheon.

but Funky,

if you're having trouble dialing in your TF, maybe the amp isnt a good match for your rig or your preference?
  10. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Actually I found that interesting. Think I might try that out. I've already been using the enhance knob quite a bit to dial back boom on DB. Are you running an external preamp to match input impedance for the thunderfunk? I know the specs indicate that it isn't peizo freindly on input impedance, but I haven't really experienced the need for it personally. And, as long as I'm being nosey, what pickup are you using?
  11. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    I just started using my TFB-420, since I picked up a used (perfect!) accugroove 210. The amp was not a good match for my EBS 1x12, not at all. Sounded quite harsh, really. With the accugroove it sounds much smoother, but I still seem to have a little trouble dialing in a sound that will work for both fingerstyle and slap at the same time.

Perhaps it's just the combination of my basses w/ this amp. Of course, I'll give it some time, I have to learn this thing... but I was hoping for plug and play.

My EBS HD350 seems to be the other way, I can get a pretty good slap tone easy, but have to work for the fingerstyle. Generally, I can find a great compromise w/ the EQ flat and a touch of overdrive, bright, and character switch. I guess the translation of the TFB would be to use my multidrive (slightly!) and dial in more enhance and highs.

...or then again, maybe it is just new strings that are in order!
  12. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    My suggestion for finding slap tones would be enhance all the way to the right, timbre 3-4 clicks to the right from center, and then with EQ flat, tweak to taste from there.
  13. FunkyLemz

Oct 17, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA

I give it a run for asap.
  14. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA

Ack! No switch on the TFB-420. How do you simulate the switch's effects w/ the eq?
  15. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    On slab, about 10 o'clock on the timbre...everything else flat.

On DB, about 2 o'clock on the timbre...everything esle flat.
  16. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    Enhance at 1 or 2 (ultra slight bass/treble boost.)
    Everything else flat.
    Adjust timbre if need arises - usually ccw.

That'll do, pig... that'll do.:)

EDIT - For reference, I play my active jazz basses through either a Schroeder 1210 or Eden 410XLT.
  17. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Same here. Even rotating dozens of basses, I don't use the EQ... it sounds great flat. I rarely touch the timbre (tone balance) control. I set the volume for the room and that's it. Plug and play.
  18. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Most people, when they're trying to dial in a sound usually make the mistake (IMO of course) of tweaking the highs first. IMO IME you're better off dialing in thump first and the simplest way to do that is start with everything flat and turn your gains up. Then, even small tweaks of the highs can make a big difference and you'll probably have a sound that will carry in the mix too.

To recap: Set everything flat (including your bass), above all else don't cut anything. Mids are your friend.

Bring the amp's gains up to give you the loudest general volume that you'll need. THEN, if you still need some highs (and have an active bass), roll them in from there.

The same general idea works with passive basses but instead with a passive tone control start with the tone contrrol rolled off maybe a quarter of the way. Get the gains up, dial in your thump and THEN you can add highs back in by turning up the tone control only as much as you need to. I keep the volume control on my passives wide open.

I get people asking this about my live sound all the time. The difference is that I don't do what most people do. I've actually seen people set their EQ by eye instead of ear... as if a sound can look like it'll sound good.

This is how I get a very full full range sound... and it takes practically no time to accomplish.

19. The switch is pretty subtle and seems to impact the tone 'above and below' the on-board EQ, so I don't think you could get there by EQ alone. However, I would be very happy to play through the TF without the switch (or with the switch set in the 'up' position... which is the TF default).
  20. +1.... especially for slap playing... don't dial in the 'smiley face' EQ or, in the TF case, don't crank that enhance control... it will sound good when you are playing alone, but will disappear in the mix. I set the EQ for the room and control everything else from the on-board EQ or with my technique for the rest of the night. There's no reason to have to change the EQ on the amp for different styles of playing (i.e., slap, muting, fingerstyle, etc.) Different right hand positions, touch, and style (thumb muting, fingerstyle, slap) should be able to give you all the tonal variation you will ever need.

Edit: Just bounced back and forth with Chef.... He's using a semi-hollow body bass with flats... I'm using a Celinder Update with new roundwounds.... no wonder we have radically different views of EQing the TF :bassist: