1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Thunderfunk Growl

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jirishman, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Jirishman

Jirishman

May 16, 2011
    Chicago
    I was wondering if anyone can recommend EQ settings to coax some good growl on a TF550b. I have tried different settings (all with good results) but wouldn't say I've hit the nail on the head.
    Playing a Gibson Thunderbird through two TC Electronic cabs.
    Thanks for the help!

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Not real familiar with ThunderFunk, but I believe they are known for super Hi-Fi clean tones. You might consider a light overdrive pedal in front of the amp.

3. 4-string

4-string

Jul 23, 2006
    Norway
    +1. I found nothing but clean in the TF I had. For me, that is entirely a good thing, but for those who crave some dirt a pedal is it.

4. Jirishman

Jirishman

May 16, 2011
    Chicago
    Let me rephrase: Can anyone recommend TF EQ settings to enhance the inherent growl of a Thunderbird?

5. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Does your Thunderbird growl how you want it when plugged directly into a PA, test mixer, or right into the efx return of the TF? Preamps do mask/change EQ curves, so make sure you are happy with what you are starting with, then go from there.
    Wes

6. Jirishman

Jirishman

May 16, 2011
    Chicago
    I actually just had new Thunderbuckers placed in my 90s tbird, so to be honest I haven't given them a full test drive yet. I did run the bass through headphones and found they do produce a very nice ringing, piano-like growl.

However when I plugged it into the Thunderfunk yesterday at practice, I couldn't quite duplicate that sound. I understand the TF550 is clean, but I figured with its powerful EQ I would able to coax something out of it.
    I'm not worried about the dirt part, I have a VT bass pedal for that, but I would like to achieve that piano growl with the pedal switched off.

7. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Try through the efx return and see what you get, then report back. I have a hard time using headphones because bass sounds bad in most of them. What kind are you using? Is your cab "growl" proven?

8. watspan

watspan

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    Chef had a setting where you turn the enhance all the way up, timbre two clicks to the left, boost the 40hz and one other high hz setting I forget--maybe he'll weigh in.

9. otherclef

otherclef

Aug 10, 2011
    Charleston
    I had TBF550A for while... punchy clean all the way up.
    I replaced it with a Demeter VTBP-201 and QSC.
    I would have loved to hold on to it though..

10. Jirishman

Jirishman

May 16, 2011
    Chicago
    Definitely no problems with the cabs, I usually run the amp through a TCE rs212, very rich sounding for how small it is. However we have a big show tomorrow and I think I'll use my rs210 as well for added punch.

Normally this problem would be solved with my Terror Bass, but honestly I'm a little wary of it because it was cutting out last practice. I'd rather just not chance it and the TF has always been reliable.

11. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    I've only been able to get clean, deep deep clean tones out of my Thunderfunk 420. Now with a VT pedal it's a different story. However, I don't have a Tbird to run thru it so no help there. I can try a number of settings with my Warwick Thumb tonight to see if I can get it to growl like it does in my SVT-VR rig, but I kind of doubt the Thunderfunk will get that nasty.

12. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    I get what you are saying, you want to hear the growl of the instrument, not from the amp. The T-funk is good for that. Try using your headphones from the amp itself. Could be the cab is limiting you?

On my 420, I keep enhance all the way off and bring it up slowly depending on the bass. Then, I use Timbre to add heft to the tone without getting too boomy. That's it. Everything else flat.

13. Jirishman

Jirishman

May 16, 2011
    Chicago
    Thanks for the tip! It just occurred to me I didn't think to adjust the coaxial tweeter on the RS cabs. Perhaps if I open it up some, that will help.

14. RickC

RickC Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2005
    How high are you running the preamp volume? I keep mine at 3:00 for passive instruments. Enhance at 12:00. I also like to add some boost on the leftmost parametric halfway between 60 and 80 and the next one in between 150 and 180; the amount of boost tweaked depending on the bass, cabs, and room but always at those frequencies. I have no trouble getting growl with those settings.

/rick

15. Jirishman

Jirishman

May 16, 2011
    Chicago
    Perhaps boosting low mids would help obtain some growl? What frequencies would I want to boost? Thanks for all the help.