1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Thunderfunk + MarkBass 104HF equals pretty darn good.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Red Planet, Jun 12, 2018 at 11:24 AM.

1. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Talking Rock GA
    OEM Manufacturing Supplier
    So I gambled on a used older MarkBass cab to pair with my my Thunderfunk 550B.
    I needed something bigger and higher wattage than what I was using with my Thunderfunk head.

On a side note is it possible I got a Thunderfunk 550B that's been upgraded to 800 watt specifications? The dang thing is extremely powerful even with the bigger MB cab it pushes it hard at half way on the master volume. How would one tell if the amp has the upgrade?

So I have been very critical of the MB heads as they seem to fall short in an 8 ohm load and the amps are at full power at halfway on the master. Other than that I really like them my favorite being the LMIII, I have owned a good number of their offerings.

Anyway I had stayed away from the cabs due to all the negative comments but I find this cab works really well with the TF head, its the MarkBass 104HF 4x10. This one is a made in Italy cab with the B&C drivers in it and looks new.

I realize both these items are out of being the latest "got to have" gear but I thought some might want to know this is a good pairing.

The 104HF sets really well with the overall tonal characteristics of the TF head. Something I hadn't considered until starting to do some serious research into what would work with the TF. The lower zealous tweeter on the MB kind of goes with vibe the TF has going to start with. I guess my main point is make your own decisions bout what gear will work for you.

So kudos to this particular MarkBass cab design it works quite well.

Obligatory pic with it's cousins.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018 at 11:57 AM
    Jaco Pastashoot likes this.
  2. jastacey

jastacey

Feb 8, 2009
    Houston,Tx
    I think you'll really enjoy the TF550B, it will take just a bit of fiddling with the tone controls, to find your tone, when I acquired my, I had it updated, mine was the "A" 550, and what they did was upgrace some components in the pre section to "Gold Dot' Spec's, they add more capacitors in the power supply and a improved heatsink for the output section, and they changed out some switches, it did make a difference

Red Planet likes this.
  3. I used to have a 4 ohm Italian made STD104HF with B&C drivers which I only ever used with 500 watt Markbass heads. I never wanted for more volume even in marquees and outside stages. It was a brilliant cab but too large for most of my gigs so have gone to two single twelve or two ten cabs. Markbass cabs are excellent IMO and I regularly gig two NY121P cabs instead of my Bergantinos if I'm feeling lazy and want an easier carry with little appreciable sacrifice of sound quality (not quite as deep). I would've happliy put the STD104HF up against any single cab, even a fridge.

Red Planet likes this.
  4. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Talking Rock GA
    So mine is 550B version so far as I can tell but I kind of wonder if it's had some sort of update because it seems a lot more powerful to me than 550 Watts I mean even with the 800 watt MarkBass cab if you turn the master volume till about 1 it's freaking loud I'm afraid it's going to fly apart I don't even turn it louder than that and I'm about the liudest damn bass player I know. It's quite unusual for me to reach the loud limit if that makes any sense.

As far as the EQ so far I'm leaving the semi parametric section set flat and just using the timber knob the treble control a little bit of bass boost and the aural enhancer a little bit 2 RC.

I'm quite surprised by the way this amp is so warm and wooly sounding it really sounds like a tube amp I had no idea what this thing was going to sound like.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018 at 7:51 PM
  5. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Talking Rock GA
    So as you can tell by the pic I've got some rigs that are much smaller than this so don't have the problem you do or did. The Thunder Funk head and the 410 cab is my big rig now.

I do have two 1x12s to choose from with my GK mb500 and of course the little Trace Elliot elf that I have as well. So I got the small stuff covered as well as the large stuff.

I went this route as my newly formed rock band is quite stinking loud it's very difficult to keep up with this drummer and guitar player these guys are freaking loud so I went to the Thunder Funk rig to compete the GK rig will but I'm stroking it to do so.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018 at 7:53 PM
  6. MarkA

MarkA *** Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Wouldn't have thought to pair the TF with a Markbass cab, but I can kinda see that head working well with one. I am interested in the latest and (one hopes) greatest, but I'm also interested in older tech -- I still haven't found a small, class D head that's convinced me to give up my GBE 1200, for instance. I am open to the possibility -- it just hasn't happened yet.

As for the TF 550B, I have one and talked, awhile back, with Dave Funk about what the possible upgrades were. There are some upgrades that could be done to the power section (I'd have to scrounge through my old emails to see what, exactly), but I don't believe that it can be upgraded to 750 or 800 spec. Even then, the 800 isn't making 800 Watts at 4 Ohms, but at 2 Ohms. Per the product page, it's 630 Watts @ 4 Ohms, 305 Watts @ 8 Ohms. (Note, don't try to run the 550 below 4 Ohms -- it's not intended to do that.)

The Thunderfunks aren't known for being super-loud heads -- one old TB comparo thread with the TF 550 and an LMII/III had the Little Mark as having more headroom, but I am skeptical of that. I don't remember whether the comparison was at 4 Ohms or 8 Ohms, though.

I've only had the TF out on a couple of gigs -- one was quieter, but other other pushed it pretty well. I can't comment on its absolute loudness vs. your typical 500 Watt micro (though same ballpark, I think), but, going back and forth between it and my Kustom KXB500 (on the gig) the TF did feel more present and detailed -- more solid and reassuring overall -- in the mix than did the KXB (and I like the KXB).

The TF doesn't have a super-deep bottom and is, to my ear, slightly compressed. I could see those things, in combination with the Markbass cab's voicing, giving you a lot of presence-per-Watt in a mix.

I haven't played that particular Markbass cab (I don't think) and I'm still not super-duper familiar with the TF, but that is my semi-educated guess.

Glad you're digging it!

7. The STD104HF is an efficient cab and 500 watts (if you have the 4 ohm version) will be more than enough to take it to very high SPL. I have to say that for even more depth and volume my two Bergantino HD210 cabs do beat the Markbass and are a better speaker configuration ( the square 410 arrangement isn't the best).

8. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Talking Rock GA
    Good words, I bet that GBE 1200 is a beast!

I remember seeing a couple of post from a certain someone about the mark bass amps having more power than the Thunderfunk but I just think that was hyperbole.

As far as the Thunder Funk not having much bottom I don't see that. With the timber knob turned slightly to the left it puts out a lot of bottom, into this cab at least.

I've got the GK MB 500 Fusion and it has a good bit of heft but the Thunderfunk appears to be able to outrun it easily.

Anyway I'm loving it.

9. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Talking Rock GA
    I like the Berg cabs I had two of the HT 112 ER they were just a little too heavy for a small cab like that though. So I ended up making my own little version I've got these GK Thiele 112 cabs that I replaced the drivers in to make them much lighter. They had a set of EVM 12Ls which I absolutely love the way they sound but they're just too damn heavy.

Yes this Markbass cab is 4 ohms.

10. MarkA

MarkA *** Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    The GBE 1200 is indeed beastly -- it will manhandle just about any cab, however unruly.

I might have been unclear when I said the TF "doesn't have a super-deep bottom." I didn't mean that it can't get big in the lows -- timbre just a bit too the left is plenty for me -- just that it doesn't extend into the deep, deep lows the way that some heads do. This isn't necessarily good or bad -- depends on the rig and the situation -- but it does free up some energy (and some "cab headroom") to devote to the rest of the audio spectrum. Long way of saying that it's voiced to make the most of its Watts.

At any rate, it sounds like you're digging it and it's kicking butt with the 410!

Red Planet likes this.