Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thunderfunk on E-Bay being marketed as a Gibson

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Poon, Jul 30, 2005.

1. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
  2. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    that is a real Gibson. I think the 'funk was modelled after it.

3. Loel

Loel Blazin' Acadian Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2004
    no!! it's not a thunderfunk,it's a gibson seller say's di works but doesen't mention anything else and that it won't be doa!!

4. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks guys...like I thought, I'm not in "the know" when it comes to Thunderfunk...

-P

5. JoshB

JoshB A great man is always willing to be little. -RWE Supporting Member

6. havuk

havuk

Jan 5, 2005
    DFW TEXAS
    That's daves serial number, I own one of these amps myself and have been told they are almost identicle to the TF minus the fan and speakon outputs.. I have been considering upgrading to a Thunderfunk 550 model but am waiting to scrape up the cash, I love the Gibson however so I'm not in too big a hurry.

7. dnburgess

dnburgess

Jul 20, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Proprietor: Bass People, Green Square Music
    The Gibson GB-440 is the predecessor of the TFB420 and 550.

Dave Funk did consulting work for Gibson and that association lead to his buying the then discontinued Gibson GB-440 bass amp inventory. The Gibson amp was evolved from the AMP BH-420 used by Jaco Pastorius, (which was evloved from the Acoustic 360, also used by Jaco). It's design was also the direct predecessor of the SWR, and Eden amps. Dave took this basic design and improved it giving you today’s Thunderfunk TFB550.

8. what does DOA mean?

sorry I'm not especially internet language savy

9. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    Dead on arrival (I think. . .) :cool:

10. DOA= Dead on Arrival.

Edit: Damn, Gruuv beat me to it.

11. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Minor nitpick... it's the predecessor of the Thunderfunk only.

And TFB420
    :D

Family pic:http://www.talkbass.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=17210

12. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    They all sound great IMO. There's a similarity to the sound of all three. Not a major difference. IMO they sound like whatever I'm plugging in... which is exactly what I want. I'm spoiled. The TF probably sounds the most modern of the three, the EQ is voiced differently. Mine has been plug and play since day one, it sounds like I need with flat EQ.

The TF adds nice stuff like speakon connectivity, the fan is nice if you crank it for extended lengths of time and the weight of the TF (and the Gibson) is nice and light.

13. dnburgess

dnburgess

Jul 20, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Proprietor: Bass People, Green Square Music
    I don't understand your point - The Gibson was the predecessor of both the TFB420 and (TFB)550 - both Thunderfunks.

14. But isn't the AMP the predecessor to the Gibson? :D

15. philthygeezer

philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    I was hoping no one would see it and post about it.

I've had the AMP and the Gibson on my notification list, and I bid the moment it came up as it is close to where I live. I've been looking for a cheap amp like these so I can ditch my combo and run with one GS112...

So I'm hoping this thread will sink like a stone and never be heard from again.

ssshhh.... :D :ninja:

pssst: What's a used one worth anyway? I read the reviews on the Gibson GB440, and one guy said he bought his NOS for $370.00. Is this what they were going for?

16. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Minor brain fart on my part. I saw 420 and though "BH", probably because even though I have a TFB420, I've had a couple of BH420s much, much longer.

Mea culpa.
    :bassist:

17. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    That would be a pretty fair price on one IMO.

18. Thunderfunk

Thunderfunk

Mar 27, 2004
    McHenry, IL
    BH-420
    GB-440
    TFB420
    TFB550

When I bought the GB-440 inventory the deal was that customers had to understand that Gibson was not responsible for warranty on the 80 amps I got. So, I numbered them with a TF. So this amp is #39 out of the 80.

It sounds similar to the BH-420, but the TFB amps have mods besides the Speakons and fan. Bass frequencies require large caps to pass signals. That's why you'll find electrolytic caps in the signal chains of mass produced amps. Bad for tone. Film caps are much better, but large values are expensive. The electrolytics are 5 cents, the film caps are $1. Same with the high frequencies. Ceramic caps are 5 cents. Silver mica caps are $1. Then you have the power supply filter caps. Expensive, so designs skimp and give you the minimum to sound OK to MOST customers = consumers. After all if you sell amps by the thousands, how many of those customers can hear the difference? By giving you a large filter bank it reduces the hum, low frequency distortion, and the low freq compression. Gibson used a single sided circuit board. That required long flying jumper wires. Bad. Those wires pick noise out of the air and when they move and act as a microphone muddying the sound. The TF139 was built 6/12/96. So it's nine years old.

19. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    If it sounds anything like my TFB420 (thanks Dave!), you will be mightily impressed with it. Fine piece of gear!