1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thunderfunk or Eden WT

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RobbieNuke, Oct 15, 2013.

Thunderfunk or Eden WT series bass amp?

Poll closed Oct 25, 2013.
  1. Thunderfunk

42 vote(s)
    42.0%
  2. Eden WT

58 vote(s)
    58.0%
  1. RobbieNuke

RobbieNuke

Jan 22, 2008
    Baltimore
    Contemplating adding either a Thunderfunk or Eden WT. Opinions?

I like the design/layout of the old AMP BH420/Gibson GB 440 (and the SWR 400/500 for that matter), but want to get something still in production.

BTW: speaker cabinet would most likely be an Eden D410XLT.

2. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2005
    I've AB'd the TFB-420 and WT-400 many times. I like em both but the TFB always came out the winner for me. It's a little less "polite", in a good way.

/rick

3. Interceptor

Interceptor

Mar 29, 2005
    Madison, WI
    I've owned both and won't vote.

Both are great amplifiers. The Eden is deeper sounding, the Thunderfunk is voiced with a thinner (but by no means weak) bottom. Both are well made and have superb eq. Great DI on both, and they share the basic design in power amp sections.

Personally, I like the Thunderfunk more. The voicing works for me on stage, and Dave Funk has been amazing to deal with for "aftercare." But, I could happily live with either.

I wouldn't worry too much about production status. The parts in a 420 are nothing weird.

4. extreme

extreme Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    I voted for the Thunderfunk. I've owned and used both an early Thunderfunk and an early Eden WT-300. I like both amps. That said, I still have the Thunderfunk. It's noticeably louder and I really like the timbre control on it.

5. 4-string

4-string

Jul 23, 2006
    Norway
    I gigged a WT-600 for a few years. I also bought a TFB-750A that I sold on right away.

Even though the two probably are more similar than different I couldn't get the Thunderfunk to sound as good. YMMV.

6. Psychobassguy

Psychobassguy Banned

Oct 14, 2013
    Sneedville
    A big +1 to that. The AMP/TF sound sound works best, IMO, when squished by a big fat 2" Studer. The Eden WT is punchier without help, though it can't cop the AMP's upper-mid articulation without becoming excessively brittle.

7. acedabone

acedabone

Nov 11, 2010
    Thunderfunk! How could you go wrong with a name like that?! Unless there's an amp called, 'The Nut Crusher', I'd go with the T-Funk on name sake alone! lol :smug:

8. Can the Thunderfunk be eq'd to have a bigger bottom equal to the Eden ? - like the TFB800b2. I'm considering a Thunderfunk for Reggae.

9. Interceptor

Interceptor

Mar 29, 2005
    Madison, WI
    My experience is with the older TFB-420, I haven't heard a current model. As such, I don't know how the '800 sounds.

10. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    -1 on the Eden being punchier. It has a more... I don't want to say pillowy low end, but it definitely has a little give in it. The thunderfunk gives the feel of a quicker response. The low end feels like it is always under control. This translates to more punch from the thunderfunk.

+1 on the Eden getting slightly more brittle up top when goosing the upper mids.

The thunderfunk works with every cab that I've ever thrown it at. Although I don't have as much experience with Eden, I do recall them being, not tempermental about the cab, but not being as able to make any cab work. Think it is the low end give in the Eden. Couple that with a cab that a cab with extended low end response and it can get a but much for my tastes.

PS: The thunderfunk seems to work well with piezo pickups even without an external preamp. Strange as the input impedance would suggest that a preamp would be needed. I still use an external preamp/DI with mine, but I don't really need to. Probably doesn't matter to most people, but I double on most gigs. Nice to know that if my Fishman goes down, I won't sound like poop.

11. svtb15

svtb15 Banned

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    I have owned both... They are both fine sounding amps.. The Eden has a larger fuller bottom end with a silkier more organic top end. The TF is truncated on the top and bottom... Tf may be a little punchier but that is because it is more mid focused IMO.
    I think you could get the TF sound with the Eden but not the Eden sound with the TF.. And to me the TF's watts seem a bit exaggerated in its ratings to what you are actually hearing if you EQ it to sound like an Eden ... Just m .02

12. svtb15

svtb15 Banned

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    I would say that Thunderfunks are not known for a HUGE bottom.. Tight bottom maybe.. But not known for huge..l.. There are many amps that have a much larger bottom end that remain tight and that would do reggae style for much less $$

13. GK Breivik

GK Breivik

Apr 23, 2013
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    I gigged an Eden WT-800 for almost a decade.
    The TFB-750 I have now is better in every way.
    Far more musical and natural sounding EQ section too.

And it's not shy in the bottom end. Sounds like a great channel strip with a little tasty "smoky flavor" in the high mids. In the tube setting it may be a little less sparkly than the Eden. Cleaner and brighter in the SS setting.

Sounds great with every cab I've tried. (Quite a few).

14. I've never played an Eden but do own a AMP 260 and a TF 550B. I bought the TF hoping for a louder, more flexible AMP, but they sound nothing alike. They look similar but aren't. The AMP is brighter up top and wooly down low, with a mid presence that's really there. The TF is very smooth and polite IMO with a tighter low-end and darker top. I like the TF low end better but everything else about the AMP gets my vote.

15. GK Breivik

GK Breivik

Apr 23, 2013
    I’ll also add that the Thunderfunk is without the annoying hiss the Eden had, and that the Enhance control is far superior.

Eden’s enhance has too wide a scoop, and adds too much clanky upper mids. That control is fairly unusable above 9 o’ clock IMO. Thunderfunk’s version is a lot more predictable and usable.

If there’s one design flaw / bad choice it is that the sweepable treble only goes up to 4k. I know Dave thinks this is a more usable range, but I disagree. Some people like to boost in the 8-10 and even 12 kHz range. Even though I rarely do that anymore, I find it unneccesary to limit one’s options.

16. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Both great choices, and, actually more similar than different, really.
    Since you're running the Eden cab, I'd get the Eden amp.

To me, the TF is a little cleaner, and the eden a little woolier, but, I used them more or less interchangeably when I had both.

17. Does your TFB-750 ever clip -in the power amp section- when you dial in low end like 40-80 ? I'll be using a large double 15 cab that can soak up a whole lot of power. I'm looking at the TFB-800b2. Does your amp heat up ?

18. GK Breivik

GK Breivik

Apr 23, 2013
    No, I've never heard it clip, and I like a lot of "60 Hz pillow" in my sound. It's also noticeably louder than an SVT thru the same cab.

It does get hot if you really push it, but it's designed to not be damaged by that heat.

Great amp.

19. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Opinions about what? What is the intended application? :eyebrow:

MM

20. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    In which case, you will be easy pickins for every slippery marketer who comes along. Good luck with that!

MM