1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Thunderfunk Owners and Electronically Adept People - Please Help!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Proton Lenny, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Proton Lenny

Proton Lenny Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2006
    Portland Oregon
    Hello fellow TBers. I need you help, or at least your advice. I own a TF 750-A. I had an out of town gig last weekend, and had some amp issues (the first ever). I was playing, warming up before the sound check, and then all of sudden I lost power. I couldn't get it to come back on. I tried all the outlets in the same wall spot. Occasionally the TF would get power for a second and then shut off. And then sometimes I would get power for a minute and then it would loose it again. I tried a separate power cable and multiple other wall sockets. I couldn't get it to stay on. When I got home I tried my house's outlets. Still no power. I checked the fuse, and it is not split. Did I overload something? I am kind of electronically illiterate. The amp itself did not feel hot or anything. I didn't have the amp up terribly loud (Gain/Limiter knob was about 3 o'clock and Master was at 12 o'clock). Is there a failsafe inside I don't know about? Anyway, any suggestions would be very appreciated. I love this amp so much, I need to get her up and running. :)

Proton

P.S. I sent Dave two emails and called him. He hasn't gotten back to me. He is probably just swamped. So, until he can get back to me, "You are my only hope". ;)

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Best guess from afar would be an intermittent connection at some point along the power line inside the amp. Like a cold solder joint that broke loose.

3. Proton Lenny

Apr 24, 2006
    Portland Oregon
    Thanks for the suggestion Bongo. Damn, if only I knew anything about electronics. Then I could just open it up and look. I really need to get on this whole soldering thing and learn how to do some basic stuff (at least so I could see what was wrong). I'll probably just have to send it to Dave. But keep the suggestions coming guys. I'll gather a list for myself, and maybe for Dave as suggestions.

Proton

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I think the best advice I could give you is wait for Dave to get back to you ;)

5. 4-string

4-string

Jul 23, 2006
    Norway
    +1.

It could of course be a cold solder joint, it can happen to any brand. The TF seems so extremely well built that I really doubt it though. Just my layman opinion there.

I am not sure what self protecting circuits the TF has, but it could be that the amp shuts down simply to avoid going up in flames. :eyebrow:

6. Proton Lenny

Apr 24, 2006
    Portland Oregon
    I'm definitely going to wait for Dave. I'm not going to try and do anything myself that's for sure. And I don't really trust anybody to work on it except Dave anyway. But I still like hearing peoples opinions. If nothing else it adds to my tiny electrical knowledge by making me look up terms I don't know. :D

Proton

P.S. Jimmy you must be as nocturnal as me. You seem to be one of the few that is up late enough to even see my posts. Hehe. :bassist:

7. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Just keep calling Dave. The last thing you want to do is go wandering around inside your TF with a soldering gun and no idea what you're looking for.

8. JOME77

JOME77

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    This actually happened 2-3 weeks after purchasing a new TFB-550B's 2-3 years ago. Dave responded quickly, put together a new amp and had it at my house within 2 days! :) He even shipped the new one prior to me returning the defective unit!
    Now that's service!

Dave later told me that it was indeed a cold solder joint. With all of the solder points on the PCB's it's bound to happen from time to time.

I'm sure that he's temporarily out of pocket. He won't leave you hanging!;)

9. Proton Lenny

Apr 24, 2006
    Portland Oregon
    I had no intentions of opening this thing up, and definitely not soldering anything considering I've never soldered anything in my life. :D

It is in the mail. Dave had gotten screwed over by some ATT&T guys, and consequently had no internet. I just hope it arrives safely. It will be nice to get a tuned up amp back. It will be better than new!

10. G FUNK

G FUNK

Mar 12, 2008
    The same thing happened to me, about a year ago, when I purchased one of the last of the TFB550B units. It worked fine for a couple of months, then all of a sudden it gave out one night at a rehearsal. I Contacted Dave and had it sent back and he confirmed it was indeed a human error. If I recall correctly, it had something to do with the wiring. He corrected it and sent it back within a couple of days and it's been working fine ever since.

11. Loel

Loel Blazin' Acadian

Oct 31, 2004
    Pure bliss to have an amp and it's builder
    stand behind his product...:cool:

12. Proton Lenny

Apr 24, 2006
    Portland Oregon
    Indeed sir, indeed.

13. did you check the fuses?

14. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    Probably an intermittent connection early in the power supply.
    Any good electronics tech could most likely fix it quicly.
    And, of course; if you don't know what you're doing, don't open it up. :)