Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thunderfunk owners,I have noise!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 5bassman, Oct 3, 2005.

1. 5bassman

5bassman Supporting Member

May 4, 2005
    Kennesaw,GA
    My 550 is making a "ocean" sound from Vol. setting 4 and gets louder as you go to 10. The Gain does not affect this. Is this normal? I usually play with the Gain high and volume low so that may be why I didn't notice it before. Again, is this normal before I send it in for repair?

2. westland

westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    I get this as well. It's a bit more pronounced with the limiter on, and with the Gain up. Also, you can hear each of the frequency bands in the 'ocean' being amplified when you turn up each of the parametric EQ ranges. This is just the ambient noise at the phone plug and in the preamp. I'm not sure I've heard an amp that won't have some of this 'ocean sound' when the preamp is cranked up.

Do you have another amp for comparison. I'd be curious to know whether you can 'hear the ocean' with Aguilars, AIs or Walter Woods amps as well.

3. 5bassman

May 4, 2005
    Kennesaw,GA
    No other amps. My gain doesn't affect mine at all. Just the Vol. and the noise gets louder as it's turned up.

4. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    I had a similar issue but I tracked it down to my bass pickup, not the amp.

Sometimes I even pickup radio stations with my bass .

5. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Mine's dead wuiet, and engineers and sound guys have all commneted on how quiet the DI is. I think you have other issues...perhaps shielding in your axe, noisy electricity issues, cable issues. I'm very happy with my TFB420 in this regard, and find it to perhaps be quieter than my eden bits...It could also be your horn attenuator needs to come down a little?

6. westland

westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Hard Rock or Easy Listening? :bassist:

7. westland

westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    I get this with all the cables pulled. On the outputside I have Accugroove Tri112Ls (attached with Planet Waves speakon to speakon 5' cable). These have a pair of tweeters. These may need to be turned down (I'm not sure quite how to do this)

What do you mean when you say 'noisy electricity'. Is this something that, e.g., a Furman power conditioner might clean up?

8. unity bass

unity bass

Dec 15, 2003
    Modesto, Ca.
    I don't know if this helps or not but this is from page 2 of the owners manual:

'a small time delay is built in to the limiter to prevent it from "riding" the low frequencies, causing an audible "pumping" effect. Using any limiter or compressor will affect your sound, so you should adjust it by ear.'

Is the "ocean sound" noticable when you play?

I just sat in front of mine and tried everything I could to hear the ocean.
    I couldn't hear it.

I wonder if power has anything to do with it? Maybe plug in at someone else's house and listen again? (This is just an ignorant guess!)

Keep us posted. especially if you solve the mystery.

Good luck,
    Chad

9. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Yep, that's a possibility. Try another rig and see if it's effected before you shell for one tho....

10. 5bassman

May 4, 2005
    Kennesaw,GA
    I'm playing thru a EA Wizzy, so no horn. I left the amp on a little while last night and the sound went away and is still gone today. It wasn't a tweeter type sound. It was more like an AM radio sound that wasn't set on a station.

11. 5bassman

May 4, 2005
    Kennesaw,GA
    It does it with or without cables plugged in. I can hear it thru headphones with everything else unplugged. I've heard it other places too.

12. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Phone or email Dave, he's been really helpful with any questions I had...