Thunderfunk - "pop" problem?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jacove, Sep 28, 2005.

1. jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    Hi Guys,

First of all I love the Thunderfunk, great great amp....but everytime I turn it off, it says a loud and annyoing "pop" sound...have any of you noticed the similar problem or is it just my amp?
  2. Sounds like something might be wrong... mine is totally quite at turn-off. Email Dave and he will take care of you.
  3. Is the bass (pedals other electronics) still plugged into the amp?
    If so, turn down the volume on the bass before shutting down the amp.

If nothing is plugged into the amp and the volume is down on the amp, shut the amp down. you shouldnt hear the pop. if so, there can be something wrong with the amp.
  4. jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    OK, steve66, I'll try to unplug the bass from the amp....
  5. jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    Well, I've tried to turn the amp on/off with the gain/master turned all the way down and no bass plugged in....The amp still makes this LOUD "pop" sound whenever I turn it off...So I guess the amp is broken???? :crying:
  6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Mine doesn't do that. Contact Dave.
  7. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    Mine doesn't do that either.
  8. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    No pop here either!
  9. rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    No pop here either.

10. jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    I've just send an email to Dave, I'll let you know how it goes....
  11. westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong

I have a TFB550. There is no POP when I turn it on, but there is a POP when I turn it off, whether or not anything is plugged into the unit (I use an Accugroove T112L plugged with speakons). I've just been turning the Volume all the way down before I turn off the amp (always a good idea anyway).

But, this should not be happening according to the user manual which says:

"Similarly, the amp shuts down without the "POP" caused by DC bias shifts in other amps not similarly equipped."

Anyway, I just sent an EM off to Dave Funk about this. Dave's been outstanding at every step of my purchase of this unit (as has Mark Wright at Accugroove). So I expect he'll have a quick answer to this.
  12. unity bass

unity bass

Dec 15, 2003
    Modesto, Ca.
    Mine does it, then it doesn't, then it does. Weird.:meh:
  13. mtirey

Aug 9, 2005
    Dayton, OH
    I asked Dave the same question jacove. His answer is toward the end of his message to me. Hope this helps :cool:. I do the same thing Westland does...just turn the volume all the way down before shutting it off.

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Tuesday, July 12, 2005 10:37 PM
    To: Matt Tirey
    Subject: Re: FW: Trade in old gear - Thunderfunk

Do you mean the large rubber bottom foot? I can't see how it could fall off as it's screwed in as you saw, and i couldn't have missed it being there as we place the amp flat on a work table to work on it. It really should be in the box, but I'll ship you a new one tomorrow.

The fan is run off DC and will slow down as the DC fluctuates. This is normal when you play through it. It doesn't matter as far as cooling goes. It doesn't really need the fan unless you're driving it hard for a hour or more. The amp can get hot enough to boil water without damage.

It makes a slight click when you turn it off. I don't use any relays in the circuit.

-----Original Message-----
    To: "'David Thunder Funk'" <>
    Sent: Tuesday, July 12, 2005 9:13 PM
    Subject: RE: FW: Trade in old gear - Thunderfunk

I received the amp yesterday. Thank you very much. Everything seems to be fine I just have some questions.

1. One of the bottom feet on the head unit is missing. I thought it might be that it popped off when I was taking it out of the box, but I see their screwed in. I didn't really notice it till later on in the day at work when I had more time to look at the amp. Weird..I looked all over the place and couldn't find it. Can you send me out another, or is their a store I could buy from?

2. I had time last night to fool around with it. I used it with my Mark Bass 2x10 cabinet. They seem to work well together. The amp is definitely more warmer and tighter sounding I think than the Genz. I tried turning on the fan in the back and it works, but it sounds like to slightly fluctuates in speed, like a gust of wind coming through it. The sound of the fan doesn't come through the amp I just hear it in the back. Is this normal? Please explain.

3. When I turn the amp off you hear a snap sound through the speakers before it shuts off. I know some amps do that. Is this normal as well?

Also just to let you know the replacement knob for the Genz Benz came in at work today. I will ship it out to you tomorrow and email you the tracking number.

14. jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    OK, thanks guys....I've just got a email from Dave....He says some of the power switches make this sound, that just how they work!..and it is NOT a defect. However he has just found a fix by soldering a .047 @ 600V film cap across the black to black contacts on the power switch. That should cure it....
  15. westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    ... I got a similar reply back from Dave. He also suggested that since we have 220VAC in Hong Kong (as I suspect you have as well) that it may actually take a couple of these capacitors to silence the off-pop. This is why we are only getting the pop on the turn-off, since since the Thunderfunk delays powering up when the switch is switched on.
  16. jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    Will it do any damage to the amp to unplug the speakon cable everytime I turn it off, do you think?
  17. elwood

elwood there is no spoo

Jul 25, 2001
    Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
    I think you might want to check this with Dave first.
  18. westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    .... uh ... on second thought, I don't want to do this
  19. Mine doesn't pop, but it makes sort of a draining sound.

Often, the power section shuts down sufficiently fast, that this doesn't really get put through the speakers, are only very quietly does. But it goes through the DI pretty well.
  20. elwood

elwood there is no spoo

Jul 25, 2001
    Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
    My Ashdown Electric Blue does that, too. Weird sound.