1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thunderfunk Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CelinderMotoMan, Aug 1, 2007.

1. CelinderMotoMan

CelinderMotoMan Banned

Apr 4, 2007
    Flint, Mi.
    I have 2 550bs and both make an audible popping sound when I switch between SS/Tube. Is that normal?

2. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Yep.

3. Yes... Dave designed that switch to be a general revoicing of the amp versus some sort of 'on the fly' tone control. It is designed to be set one way or the other, depending on your general tone preference, versus changed mid set, etc.

I'm not sure why the pop occurs, but it made sense to me when Dave explained it a while back. His concept was to provide the 'original' TF tone (Tube Emulation mode), but to allow those that want a slightly more modern tone to still consider the TF. I actually run mine in SS mode 90%+ of the time.

K

4. CelinderMotoMan

CelinderMotoMan Banned

Apr 4, 2007
    Flint, Mi.
    Then I should turn the amp off before doing the switch? I only do it to see which sounds better in certain rooms, I don't do it often. Just wondered. I had heard about a chip upgrade and was making sure that wasn't what the chip was for.

5. I don't think it does any harm at all. Just turn the master down... it will still pop, but it's not a problem IME.

6. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    Mr. Funk told me the same thing. He said he never intended the switch to be used during a song.

you can "mute" or turn your master down to like 9 o'clock.

7. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    The chip upgrade was for the preamp stage.

Here is the blurb about what the switch does, from the website:

8. That's it... I guess I should know that blurb, since there is a quote from me right under it:D

That 'upper mid' honk in Tube mode is VERY helpful in big, boomy rooms... adds just a little grit and presence to the mids at high volumes that helps the amp punch a little better. Subtle at low volumes, but when you are cranking, you can really hear it!

9. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    As a side note, this past weekend I had the exact same experience you describe in your quote. SS wasn't cutting it and the switch was the magic pixie dust that cut through it all.

I really like the idea of changing the properties of the power supply instead of just doing EQ tweaks.

10. CelinderMotoMan

CelinderMotoMan Banned

Apr 4, 2007
    Flint, Mi.
    I muted tonight and it still popped. I'm sure that it won't hurt the speakers, but it still kind of makes me on edge when I hear something pop through my rig.

11. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    yeah, i just turn the master down anyway because i have my tuner plugged into the aux input/tuner output and if i use the mute button, i dn't get any signal to my tuner...

12. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    You have to turn it off while switching to eliminate the pop. Muting it won't do it. The mute affects the preamp stage while the switch makes a change at the power stage. You can minimize the pop if you turn the volume down entirely, but even that won't make it completely inaudible.

Chalk it up to an esoteric feature of a boutique amp which is part of the its character. :)

13. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I had mine on a rehearsal last night, and heard no pop at all when flipping the switch.

I preferred the "up" position.