Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thunderfunk & Schroeder.. I'm Doing it!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassDmb18, Sep 5, 2004.

1. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    For my first rig, thats what I'm getting. I've tried the Thunderfunk and LOVED it! So warm, and I can put as much bite as I need. Awsome amp!

The schroeder's I have not tried, but by the reviews and how much everyone raves about them, I think it looks like a great choice. I will be gettin the 1210 cab.

If I need more in the future I will upgrade to 2 1210's and maybe a SVT.

Feedback?

2. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Sounds like a great rig. Ive only heard great things about them. But the SVT might not be an upgrade at all IMO. It´s a completly different animal.

3. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    If I ever needed to upgrade to more power, and added another cab.. I'd have to move up from the THunderfunk, to something with like 800w.

But I'm getting ahead of myself. I am very happy with my choices now.

4. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    You could always do what I'm in the process of doing.....

Run 2 Thunderfunks for the big gigs. There's yer 800 watts!

5. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    Huh? Does that work? It doesn't just sound like 2 400 watt amps playing simutaniously? You really get 400? Or are ya jokin with me?

6. megiddo

megiddo

Apr 5, 2003
    Houston, Texas

YIKES!!!! You gotta be single. Us married guys would have to spend at least a couple of weeks sleeping in the front yard for that! :cool:

Two things, with that rig you need to change your screen name to THUMPER and loose that sig dudecicle. :p

7. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    I have a girlfriend that lives with me.. She says the combo amp I have now isn't cuttin it. So in a way, it was her idea, but more mine, she just added to it. She's cool. (i have naked pics of her. lol)

Anyway, the screen name stays. The sig, that can go soon.
    So I made a wise choice?

8. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    Marry her!!! :hyper:

Seriously, the Thunderfunk is an incredible amp. I've been playing for 20 years and it is one of the best sounding amps that I've come across.

Lync

9. Tritone

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    Yep it works, you just have to make sure you run each amp at 4 ohms.

10. megiddo

megiddo

Apr 5, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    Yep, I think you made a good choice. (The marrying her idea would complete the picture. :D ) Hopefully if all goes well I'll be placing an order for a Schroeder 1210 around the first of the year. I love my Ampeg rig but it's too big for our church. My SVT 3Pro sitting on top of the Schroeder 1210 would be perfect. I may be going Thunderfunk as a backup amp (or just to have a choice of amps) in the future as well.

Good luck you lucky dude! :D

11. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    Crap , I may have a change of heart to a used iAmp500. One of the members here is selling one. What should I do? Would it be wise to buy a used one to go with the schroeder? Would it be versitile? Again, this will be my first rig and want it to be versatile and durable.

12. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I used the pre thunderfunk thunderfunk :) (AMP BH-260... though the TF is based off the BH-420)

If Dave made a preamp only version I would grab it! I think a TF and 1210 would make a great rig.

13. Tritone

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    It's based on the 420. Puts out 400 watts at 4 ohms.

I never got the chance to try the original, I'd like to though, just out of curiosity.

14. Tritone

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    No you can't run 2 4 ohm cabs off of one TF, but running dual Thunderfunks into two 4 ohm cabs is killer set-up. Sorry if I wasn't clear earlier.

And I've been mulling over getting that case ever since I got my TFB-420.......

15. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Just my opinion but don't waste your time with the iamp500. Go straight to the Thunderfunk. The Thunderfunk is a plug and play amp and the iamp takes a week to get a sound. Again, many may disagree but there you have it.

16. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    I agree. Go with the Thunderfunk and you won't ever have to buy another amp. If you really need more headroom (which I find unbelievable with the Thunderfunk as it has a ton of headroom), you could always run it into a power amp later on.

Lync

17. I'll disagree. I've owned the iAmp (the one BassDMB18 is talking about buying), the iAmp 350 and the iAmp 800. I have the iAmp and the iAmp 800 right now. Both have pretty much identical tone. I have to say that it takes me only a few seconds to get the sound I want. Just plug in and hit two preset switches and I'm in love. Of course, this is 100% dependent on the individual user. The tone section on the iAmp is pretty versatile (most versatile I've used) and you could spend a long time tweaking it and finding different sounds.

I'm sure both amps are great. I'd like to try out a Thunderfunk myself actually.

Geoff

18. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I personally don't like the sound of the iamp. I also think that there is just too much stuff thrown on the front of the thing. The Thunderfunk is a much warmer amp and is easier to get a usable sound from. Again, my opinion. Of coarse, the only way for the original poster to find out for themselves which is best would be to try them both. I, in the past, have gone ahead and just bought and sold different amps when they're not available locally. I don't have a lot of money to do this but in the end I found what I was looking for. My suggestion to BassDMB18 is to start with the Thunderfunk. There seems to be little to no debate on how well that amp sounds whereas the iamp is definately a love it/hate it type of sound. If he doesn't like Thunderfunk than try something else. Trust me, you can find anything you'd like to used with some time.

19. I see your point, but IMO, he'll lose less money on the iAmp since it is already used. He might not lose any money in fact. If I were interested in both and couldn't buy both, that's what I'd do. I'm also basing this on the fact that I haven't seen any used Thunderfunks.

Cheers,
    Geoff

20. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I don't think a Thunderfunk would be your backup amp for very long! :D