Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thunderfunk TF420 or Eden WT800?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jpoprock, Jun 15, 2005.

1. jpoprock

jpoprock

Jun 7, 2005
    Kokomo, IN
    I'm getting close to making a decision on a head. I think I'm going to go w/ a Thunderfunk 420 or an Eden WT800. Both will be used, and both reside in the same price range.

I will be probably powering both with an Avatar 210NEO 8ohms and an Avatar 115NEO. There will be times though that I'll just run ONE cab at 8ohms.

I play pop/rock covers, and small to med gigs. Which amp do you think I'd be happiest with?? The Eden has gobs more power I think. But both have exactly what I'm looking for feature wise.

Thanks!

Jason

2. They are both wonderful, and that Eden 800 bridged mono into a high quality 8ohm cab is the voice of you know who. However, until very recently, you could not run the 800 bridged at 4ohms, and running it stereo into two 8ohm loads doesn't give you that much juice. So, it seems that either of the cabs you described wouldn't be able to handle the huge output of the Eden bridged mono, and considering the '4ohm' problem described above, I'd buy the TF.

3. jpoprock

jpoprock

Jun 7, 2005
    Kokomo, IN
    Thanks. I'm looking for more input, but this probl sums it up. I was never comfortable with the 8ohm thing. And I didn't want to have to run it stereo. Just give me the juice at 4ohms and let's be done with it. This is probl why Eden decided to change things around w/ the new unit.

I know that if I power the 210NEO 8ohm cab w/ the TF, i'll be cutting down the wattage... but didn't I read that it really doesn't make a huge difference in "sound output"?

If that is the case, and considering that most say the TF sounds louder than it's rated, I'll probl just get one 210@ 8ohms to mess with for a while, and worry about another 210 or 15 later.

j

4. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    If you use one cab just use one side of the amp!

5. That would of course work, but what you would basically have is about a 240 watt amp, which is just about what the TF420 puts into a single 8 ohm cab. You would still have the same problem in combining the two cabs, unless you want to put the reduced wattage in each one in stereo. Surely nothing wrong with that approach, but it seems kind of strange to have an 800 amp that usually runs at a little over 200 watts!

6. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    If I am not mistaken, the new Eden WT-800 "B" can now be bridged into a 4 Ohm load.

This is from the website:

7. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    This is correct, the newer WT800B pumps out 1100 watts@ 4 ohms, twice the power of the TF. I'm torn between it and the new WT1205.

8. jpoprock

jpoprock

Jun 7, 2005
    Kokomo, IN
    yes, yer right. It can. AND it's like $1600, which isn't in my best interest. I'm talking about the comparison btwn a used 800 vs a TF, which is arguable I suppose.

j

9. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    $1299 at Washington Music.

10. The 800B is a totally different story... but the original poster was talking about a used 800.

11. jpoprock

jpoprock

Jun 7, 2005
    Kokomo, IN
    That's a pretty good deal! I wonder what BassNW charges? They are very competitive.