1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thunderfunk TFB 750A/Aguilar DB750 Questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Joe Clark, May 21, 2011.

1. Joe Clark

Joe Clark

Jan 19, 2007
    Mid Michigan
    Hey all. I'll try to avoid as much backstory as possible, but just to give you an idea of my current situation...

I moved out to Boston 16 months ago with my jazz bass, Thunderfunk TFB750, and a Bergantino HS410. As many of you metropolitan bassist's know, and I would soon learn, when you are getting to gigs via Trains or Buses, carting around a Ceramic loaded 410 and rackmounted head is not necesarilly the funnest process. I ended up selling this rig, which after 8 years of all tube rigs, was my favorite rig of all time and picked up a Mesa Walkabout 12 Scout combo.

I'm back home in Mid Michigan and just got an offer ot rejoin my old, regularly gigging Top 40 cover band. The Mesa never really grew on me and it's definitely not going to cut it on these gigs with dual guitar half stacks and a heavy-hitting drummer.

I know the safe bet for me would be to pick up another Thunderfunk, but I've been really fascinated with the Aguilar stuff. I'll also note that I'm not into the Class D thing.

Are there any players out there who have owned both the DB750 and Thunderfunk TFB750? Will the DB750 do syncopated 16th note funk and slap sounds well? I don't play that stuff a lot but I loved the Thunderfunk for it's versatillity, and seek similar versatillity in whatever amp I choose.

I'm looking to buy used either route, and the prices seem to be pretty similar on here. Just asking for any opinions you might have. Thanks in advance.

2. dmrogers

dmrogers Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2005
    Eastman, GA
    I haven't owned a DB750 but it was one of the final two I was testing when I made my last head purchase. It is a great head, great tone and well built. It was down to the DB750 and TFB750A. I went back and forth, neither did anything bad. Final decision was the Thunderfunk. I haven't been disappointed yet!

I had other people play both heads while I listened, my wife did the same (kinda like a blind test). We both picked the Thunderfunk.

The things that made the difference:

* Thunderfunks EQ.
    * Thunderfunks Enhance and Timbre.
    * Thunderfunks DI and loops.
    * Thunderfunks limiter.
    * Thunderfunks warm solid, almost tube-like tone (from a solid state head). But it was also very clean and articulate.

Let me repeat, the Aguilar was a great head! But ultimately the TF was the head for me. I would also like to say, I'm not going to pick a head just because it is super light. The 40 pounds of the Aggie didn't enter the final decision. But it is nice having two Thunderfunks that weight the same as one DB740.

No matter which one you pick, you will have a winner!

3. Joe Clark

Joe Clark

Jan 19, 2007
    Mid Michigan
    I appreciate the input! I do love that Thunderfunk sound. What were your thoughts on the DB750 eq? Thanks again.

4. I've never owned a Thunderfunk but can help with the DB750 EQ: It's pretty weak, not too much play around the basic voicing, the mids especially are almost useless.
    Overall the amp does one tone amazingly well and the power section destroys.
    Definitely not as versatile as the Thunderfunk.

5. Joe Clark

Joe Clark

Jan 19, 2007
    Mid Michigan
    That's what I feared.

Any thoughts on the DB751 with the updated active eq section?

6. dmrogers

dmrogers Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2005
    Eastman, GA

I'll have to agree with Lookiel, the DB EQ is pretty basic. Not bad, and keep in mind I'm an old "old school" bassist. Amp, cable, bass and I'm ready to go. I could see where it would do one tone and do it well. I guess the versatility of the Thunderfunk is hard to overlook.

Since owning the TF, I have played in several way different venues and the TF amazes me in being able to dial in a pleasing tone. Makes it easy and makes me want to play!

7. Joe Clark

Joe Clark

Jan 19, 2007
    Mid Michigan
    More and more I'm thinking the Thunderfunk is the way to go. I always got compliments on my tone, and like dmrogers said, that eq is great for dialing in a crappy room.

Now, if only Jim Bergantino would get back with me regarding the recent Neodymium Shakeup. I'm really interested in what he's planning on, because I've never played one of his cabs that didn't blow me away.

8. Never owned the DB751 but tried it out at a store and the EQ is a good bit better, the mids are much more useful and the freq (750 I believe) is a good choice I think. Still won't be as versatile as the Thunderfunk though.
    Maybe a better suggestion would be a Mesa M9 since you seem to favour the versatility factor.

9. Joe Clark

Joe Clark

Jan 19, 2007
    Mid Michigan
    I'm personally kind of over the Mesa stuff after ab'ing the 400+ with some of my own tube heads I used to own. Tack on 7 months of using a Walkabout that I have yet to 100% dig, and you've got a bitter taste in your mouth.

Haven't checked out the M9 but played an M6 once and I just don't like Mesa's mids.