Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ThunderFunk TFB420

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Steve Carr, Nov 2, 2003.

1. Steve Carr

Steve Carr

Jun 25, 2003
    They build a pretty strong case on their website but does anyone know about them? I'm in the proccess of putting a rig together. It has been a while. I have been playing through the house and monitors with a direct box for too many years. I'm leaning toward the TFB420 on top of the Eden 4X10XLT. I appreciate any info.

Steve Carr

"There's peace in the pocket!"

2. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    i am curious too....i am considering one of these as well

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I played an AMP Bh-260 on a pair of Bag End cubes during the 90's and loved the tone & volume.

This is supposed to be the same head (well the larger model anyway)... my interest is peaked too

4. fourstring44

fourstring44

Jul 22, 2003
    St. Louis
    Hi guys,
    I just purchased a Thunderfunk direct from Dave Funk. I must say Dave is one cool guy, and his amp rocks. I am just blown away by the amount of sound that comes out of this little thing. I recently sold my Eden WT800 (which I have used exclusively for the last four years) to experiment with some tube preamps and such. But I got interested in this Thunderfunk and ended up emailing Dave with a few questions about his amp. He is a very nice guy and truly cares about building a great amp.
    As far as the tone goes: I think it is very similar to my Eden. Nice lows with a very tweakable mid section (4 bands semi parametric) I think the highs are maybe a bit anemic sounding. I find myself turning up the treble knob a little more than I was used to on my WT800 but that is not really a problem, more of just an observation. I feel this amp is a good Rock / R&B/ country kind of thing, maybe not the right amp for real Hi-Fi type modern slap sounds, but a very good all around sounding amp. I have heard some people say it sounds like GK's stuff, but I have never owned any GK equipment, so I personaly can't coment on that. The amp runs pretty warm, but Dave assures me, this is not an issue. I did a R&B gig last night with an eight piece band and we were slamin' and the amp had plenty of room to spare.
    Hope this helps guys.

5. Steve Carr

Steve Carr

Jun 25, 2003
    Thanks fourstring44.. That's pretty close to the reviews I've been reading. It sounds like it's the amp I need. I appreciate the help.

Steve Carr

6. Steve:

I'm just curious if you ever bought that Thunderfunk TFB420. If so - what cha' think; if not, did you get something else?

Thanks

Jim Wheeler
    Thunderfunk

7. Ncognito

Ncognito Banned Commercial User

Jan 8, 2002
    Hoffman Estates, Illinois
    Owner, Xsonics Bass Cabinets
    The Thunderfunk is extremely similar to the Gibson GB440. I had one and sold it. I now have an Eden WT-550, and it blows the GB440 away, for about the same money. The tube preamp makes all the difference.

Get a WT-550 !

8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Different strokes... maybe the Gibson was defective;)

I'm still running some Amplified Music Products BH-420 amps and wouldn't trade either of them for a WT-800 (nice amp but I'm not all that crazy about the noise). It's the predecessor of the Thunderfunk and if that amp sounds the same as mine it should be great. YMMV.

9. does anyone know if the Thunderfunk has provisions for 240v (ueropean voltage).

Antony

10. We have done one for Europe; everything is good except for the power transformer. For that particular unit, we used the last tranny left over from Gibson days.

If you want one, it would have to be a special order. Lemme know, please.

11. I could be interested in a Thunderfunk bass head. I am curious to hear a little more from fourstring 44 regarding the sound. I would be getting one the bass side of my graphite stick. The fact that the high end might be slightly attenuated is not a problem as the stick tends to have a lot of high harmonics anyway. Could you clarify the comment about the sound not being hi fi and adequate for slap players...

12. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana
    The main amp I use every weekend is a Gibson GB-440. I love mine, and I got it in fine used condition for under $400. If someone has an Eden WT-550 for under $400 I guess I should get one for a backup :D

13. fourstring44

fourstring44

Jul 22, 2003
    St. Louis
    Hi antonyhequet,

well lets see, remember this is just an opinion and a very subjective one at that. I have been using my Thunderfunk exclusively for a while now. My original review of it still stands, although, my ears have adjusted to the sound of the amp, and I find my desire for highend is a bit less than it was. My original comment on the amp maybe not being suited for hi-fi types is based on , what I perceive as a more traditional (old school) sound of the amp. It is a thicker sound to me than most of the more recent amps I have used and heard. I noticed in your profile that you are using an SWR preamp. I think the "SWR sound" is quicker and has more sizzle than the Thunderfunk does. The Thunderfunk has a emphases on low mids and thick in the mix rock/R&B/ type sounds. More of a passive type tone as compared to an active sound. Imagine passive pickups compared to emg's. I like the sound of the amp alot. In fact, the more I use it, the more I like it. BUT- I am going into a "step back and remember my roots" phase right now, and I must say it is very liberating. I am using a G&L Asat, my old 64 jazz fretless (which sounds fabulous with this amp) and a 5 string P-bass. So I am totally going old school and this amp works perfectly. I hope this helps more than confuses.

Curt

14. hello Curt,

well that answers my question very thouroughly.

thank you very much indeed!

Antony

15. Steve Carr

Steve Carr

Jun 25, 2003
    Hi Thunderfunk..

I have not purchased a rig yet. My epuipment budget has been exceeded for 2003. It is very much a priority, next year, to put a new rig together... ...from the bass to the amp & cabinet. I am still strongly considering your amp and will probably contact you in the near future. Although I have never heard your product, (I live in Bryan, TX) your reputation is impressive. I really want to play through the amp. Maybe I can locate one in Houston or Dallas.

Talk to you soon.

Steve

16. I'm trying to get set up dealer in Dallas, Austin, and Houston.

Any suggestions - Wanna help?

P.S. to all - this applies to most the country too!

17. Steve Carr

Steve Carr

Jun 25, 2003
    Absolutely!! Try Lippman Music Co. in Bryan TX.
    (979) 846-1225. Call after 3pm CST and speak with Brian Lippman.

Steve

18. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I've been using a Thunderfunk for a few months now with my Bergie HT112's....sounds pretty hi-fi to me;) The Thunderfunk also sounds louder than my SWRSM400 & SVT3PRO....both rated about the same wattage. So far....a very nice amp, and a very happy customer:D