SOLD Thunderfunk TFB550-B amp

Discussion in 'For Sale: Amps, Preamps, and Cabinets' started by ric426, Apr 18, 2018.

1. ric426

ric426 In my defense, I was left unsupervised.

Mar 27, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    Price:
    $550
    Sometimes we pay the price for uncontrolled G.A.S.

I bought this here on TB last November in a moment of weakness, impulsiveness and nostalgia (and an understanding and indulgent wife). I love this amp, but the reality is, I don't need it. I don't gig anymore and this is way more output power and EQ power than I'll ever use. I can't afford to have money tied up in something this nice that isn't being utilized the way it should be. It deserves better than to be restricted to a whisper in my practice room. As you can see in the photos below, this amp has been well cared for and is in exceptional condition.

I've been a fan of Thunderfunk amps for a long time and this is by far the nicest one I've had. It's got all the most current features including "The Switch" that at higher output levels can emulate a tube amp power stage or give you the standard solid state performance. At the meager levels I'm using at you can't even hear a difference.

It's got the most versatile EQ section I've ever used, with standard bass and treble shelving controls, 4 bands of semi-parametric control, along with an Enhance control that gives a variable contour and a Timbre control that when centered is flat, left gives a great low end boost and right boost the highs. This description doesn't begin to describe it adequately, but most of the time I get all the EQ I need with one click on the Enhance or Timbre, maybe both. I rarely usethe parametric or shelving controls because the amp sounds so good with no EQ added, but I'm not playing in different settings, so my EQ needs are minimal.

For detailed specs you refer to the TFB800 specs @ Thunderfunk: TFB800-B2
    The main differences being that the TFB550 is rated at 550 watts @ 4 ohms and 300 watts @8 ohms and is non recommended for 2 ohm loads, and is only set up for 120v power. Like the TFB800 it features 2 DI outs (pre and post) and 2 effects loops (pre & post), a switchable limiter, front panel line out jack. Rack ears are included.

My price is $550 plus shipping. I'd prefer payment by USPS Money Order, but Paypal is acceptable too. The only trades I'm interested in would be a Mesa Subway DI/Preamp plus cash or a Genzler Magellan 350 plus cash, but feel free to make other reasonable offers. I'm all set for basses, speakers and effects, and have no need or use for any amps over 300-350 watts.
    I'm a fanatic about careful packing so this amp will be well protected for travel.
    Please PM any questions or offers.

TFB550B-fullfront.jpg TFB550B-front1.jpg TFB550B-front2.jpg TFB550B-fullback.jpg TFB550B-back1.jpg TFB550B-back2.jpg TFB550B-top.jpg TFB550B-side1.jpg TFB550B-side2.jpg

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  2. speyer

speyer Supporting Member

Top Tier Amp... Hard to find amps like this anymore! Semi-Para EQ, timbre control, Pre AND post balanced outs AND dual effects loops. Seriously? All in a musical sounding solid state punch factory! I wish I had the cash I'd be buying this to feed my nostalgic gas attack. Throwing donuts. GLWTS

3. ric426

Mar 27, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    Hey @speyer, is it possible that I bought an earlier model Thunderfunk from you like 10 years ago or so? Maybe a TFB420?

4. speyer

speyer Supporting Member

That is a possibility! About 10 years ago I sold my TFB420... but I recall it being sold with a home made 2x12 cab I built at the time. (which was an EBS 212 cab with different drivers). All that said... I could be wrong :facepalm:

edit... too much gear and so many memories. :)

5. CryingBass

CryingBass Ours' is the only Reality of Consequence Gold Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2016
    A great amp at a great price. GLWTS.

6. ric426

Mar 27, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    Thanks guys. I'm sure the right buyer is out there and I'm not in a hurry.

7. Red Planet

Red Planet Inactive

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    I'm cranky in my old age.
    I will take it.

I have the funds (cash) would need the time to go by the post office Saturday or Monday but I will take it. I have been wanting one of these for a long time.

8. ric426

Mar 27, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
  9. speyer

speyer Supporting Member

$1 per watt! And not your average sounding watts either.

Red Planet likes this.
  10. ric426

Mar 27, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    And we're talkin' good old US standard watts. None o' those metric watts... :roflmao:

Red Planet likes this.
  11. Red Planet

Red Planet Inactive

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    PM replied to consider it mine.

I been looking for another head to pair with an extra set of cabs I have and this will fit the bill nicely.

12. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    Congratulations...great sounding amp at a wonderful price!

13. ric426

Mar 27, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    And SOLD pending payment.

Red Planet likes this.
  14. Red Planet

Red Planet Inactive

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    Cant wait!

15. You will love it!!!

Red Planet likes this.
  16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2022