Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thunderfunk TFB550 Fan noise

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 5bassman, Jan 18, 2006.

1. 5bassman

5bassman Supporting Member

May 4, 2005
    Kennesaw,GA
    I have this amp and I know the fan is not normally needed . But when turned on it gives off an annoying whine. I just purchased another TFB550 for our church, from Atlanta Bass Gallery. BTW, Jim was great to work with! This amps fan makes the same sound. I believe it may be because it's a pretty cheap fan. I was thinking of upgrading it but wasn't sure what size these are. It looks like what may be used on a computer processor. Any ideas? But I love the amp! I was glad when my church put me in charge of buying the equipment for starting a second Praise Band! Wasn't hard to decide to go with another TF!

2. Could be a bad fan, mine is absolutlely silent....to the point I have wondered whether the amp was even on before!! Give Dave a buzz and he will fix you up I'm sure!!

Peace,

T

3. 5bassman

May 4, 2005
    Kennesaw,GA
    Both amps are super quiet, but both fans do make a whining sound. I believe since they both sound the same that it is probably just a side effect caused by a cheap fan. I believe a replacement would sound the same. I would like to upgrade to a better fan but not sure of the size.

4. westland

westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    I agree ... mine whines, and you can easily replace it with a quieter fan

5. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE

Pull it apart and measure it?

For pc fans I reccomend newegg.com

there you can do a search by the noise level and what not.

Things to consider:

How is the fan powered in the t funk?
    Fan speed
    Is the fan blowing out or sucking in?

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    my fan's as quiet as a mouse, too.

7. I can't even tell when my fan is on or off on my two TF's:confused:

8. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

Mine is almost silent.

9. Boomer

Boomer

Sep 17, 2003
    Hollywood, FL
    Mine is a little noisy, louder than my PC that has four fans.

10. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I can definitely tell when my fan is on. There is some noticeable "whine". That being said, it isn't any louder than the fan on any other head that I've used. Actually it is a a little quieter than most of them. Still loud enough that I'd turn it off if I was tracking.

Is you TFB racked or bare butt booty nekkid? I wonder if the fan is more noticeable when not racked...

11. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    The fan on my TF550 is totally silent...well, unless I stick my ear in the back of the rack. Can't hear it otherwise. Check with Dave.

Kim

12. From all of the above... and IME, the TF fan has about the same noise level as most other heads I've used (Eden, SWR, etc.). In a rack, you literally can't hear it even on a very quiet jazz trio, for example. In a 'normal' gigging situation, even out of a rack (I have one in and one out of a rack), the fan cannot be heard unless you put your ear up next to it.

The cool thing is, Dave puts an on/off switch on the amp in those rare situations (using it live in the studio, etc.) where you want the amp totally quiet.

If you are having trouble with fan noise on this amp... then it must be a faulty fan. Call Dave....

13. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    compared to my qsc plx, or eden wt800b, both of which sound like jets, the tfb fan is quiet....

14. Yeah... that's why I can't figure this out. The thread originator says he has two that have loud fans... that's not very probable... is he hearing something that we aren't? Maybe used to digital amps with no fans?

15. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hmm...

that seems ridiculously loud.

16. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    +1

the fan on my WT550 is uber loud compared to my TF, and yet, i find the WT550, not too bad.

17. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    In a studio setting the fan on the wt800b would mean "you're off to solitary confinement in a quiet room."
    The TFB might be ok, I'd have to hear it to say for sure....

18. Boomer

Boomer

Sep 17, 2003
    Hollywood, FL
    To be fair, I used very quiet fans when I built the PC and you really can't hear the TF fan if other things are happening in the living room. I'd just turn the fan off if it ever went into a studio.

19. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    check,

and wow, nice to see a GD'er here! :cool:

20. 5bassman

May 4, 2005
    Kennesaw,GA
    I wouldn't say their both loud, they just have an annoying whine. I play in church and things get quiet at times and that's when you hear the whine. It's the same in both 550's. I believe a better fan would help but I like others here rarely use the fan. But when I do I want it quiet. And no, nether amp is racked.