Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thunderfunk TFB550 vs. ACOUSTIC IMAGE

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 5bassman, Dec 14, 2005.

1. 5bassman

5bassman Supporting Member

May 4, 2005
    Kennesaw,GA
    How does the tone compare on these? I have the T-funk but I do like small amps!

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    That's kind of like comparing apples and hide glue.

TF amps are absolutely made to be killer EBG heads. They have a very distinct tone character. MUCH of your sound is coming from the color developed in the preamp of the head. They sound great as what they are.

AI is designed to be as transparent as possible. They operate with "the what goes in comes out" kind of idea. That's why they are extremely popular as double bass amps for pizz players who need a little more volume in some settings but don't want to compromise the acoustic tone of their bass.

AI stuff even doubles amazingly well as an acoustic guitar amp.

If you love the raw tone of your bass, you'll like AI. If you love your TF, you'll probably be left wanting.

3. 5bassman

5bassman Supporting Member

May 4, 2005
    Kennesaw,GA
    I see the T-Funk as being very transparent! That's why I wanted to see how they compare. T-funks are uncolored.

4. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    I have owned an AMP head, not a TF, but have used AI gear as my primary rig for electric bass for about 4 years. I have owned two different Clarus heads and I also have a Focus I. The AMP tone stack is certainly more robust than the AI tone stack, but I prefer the AI for its weight and small size. The Focus head finally closed the gap between the powe of some of the larger heads i have owned and the form factor of the Clarus. That head has some real power, and driving a 4 Ohm cab like my Epifani T-210 or Avatar 210 it is as much as I need.

To compare is tough because they are both excellent at what they do, similar in power since the Focus came out, and I agree that they are both pretty transparent. I would love to have both and be able to run them side by side.

5. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Ad excited as I was to hear a TF head, transparent was not the concept that I gathered from it.

They sound great, IMO, but I think they sound like something, rather than a louder nothing.

6. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    I agree with Chasarms 100%. I find the TF further along the spectrum towards more "traditional" bass amp sounds. Now I'm being relative here, I'm not trying to imply that a TF sounds like an SVT.

The AI sounds like you plugged headphones straight into your bass, ignoring impedance mismatch issues.