Thunderfunk thru Aguilar

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rayzak, Dec 20, 2004.

1. rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Has anyone played a Thunderfunk through Aggie cabs? I've been trying to narrow down which head to buy and am strongly leaning toward the Funk. I've heard amazing things about it being played through Accugroove's, but not really Aggies. Any input is appreciated. Oh, it'll be a 4ohm 2-12 cab. Any other suggestions are highly encouraged and appreciated. Thanks.
  2. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    I haven't played my TF through an Aguilar 212 but I did play it through a 112 Aguilar cabinet. It had a very nice sound. It was actually a very full sound with just the 112 but it vastly improved when we connected a SWR Goliath Jr. III 8 ohm cab in parallel. We really cranked it up and it stayed clean at very high volumes. I would think the 212 Aggie cabinet would sound great. IMO the TF sounds great through my SWR Goliath III and Goliath Jr. III too. Real hard to get a bad sound out of a TFB-420! :smug:
  3. rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks JOME77, I figure it'll probably sound great. I just want some reassurance because I want this to be my last amp purchase for a looooong time :) . I'm all ready to pull the trigger, but that Santa Clause fella's supposed to be stopping by Saturday and my kids sure like expensive toys. So, I may have to wait a few more weeks... but, I think the TF's a callin'.
  4. jeflepard

Nov 11, 2003
    USA Atlanta, Ga
    The Thunderfunk is excellent. It will sound great with any good cabinet. It is lightweight and easy to use.
  5. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    My current rig:

I play my Thunderfunk through two Aggie GS112s. It sounds very good and strong, yet the aggies do have their own tone. I like them for the tone/price/portability, but I do have aspirations of upgrading to an Accugroove Whappo Jr when I can work up the money (which may be a while).

The Thunderfunk sounds great through probably most cabinets. It has a versatile tone that can be adapted for voicing of various cabinets.

I play this rig live in a loud funk band and have great tone and plenty of volume
  6. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    I play my Tf's through 4 ohm WBS 2x12 cabs. It's a great combination. The warmth of the TF seems to really shine with 12's. And I totally agree with JOME77, it really is tough to get a bad sound sound out of the TF.
  7. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I've used the Thunderfunk through most of my cabs including a Bergie 4ohm 2/12, like everybody has said already, I haven't heard the TF sound less than great yet.
  8. rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks for your help guys. I've got to get one of these. Time to start saving my pennies.
  9. Thunderfunk through Aguilar GS 212 is exactly the rig I just got, after lots and lots of searching, reading, and trying out various amp-speaker combinations.

Sounds like you have the cabinet and are wondering whether to buy a Thunderfunk. I would sure say yes. You will almost certainly be pleased. It is conceivable that some other amp will suit you better, but this one is really excellent, and a good match IMO for the cabinet.
  10. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    When I was shopping for a new Bass a while back, I played through an Aggie 212 and an Ashdown ABM500 EVO. That combination was EXTREMELY nice, full, rich. I would guess the TF-420 would be KILLER with that cab. How can you miss?