Thunderfunk vs. ABM 500RC EVO II vs. Ashdown Labs Mark King vs. DB750?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by demon666, Nov 14, 2005.

1. demon666

Jul 16, 2005
    Providence RI
    I'm considering all of these amps. Just wanted to see everyones opinion on them. I play a King doublebass with EMG/KIng pick up set up through a bergie NV610. I wanted to see which amp people would choose and why?
  2. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    My top 3 heads when I was shopping were the Ashdown ABM ,t-funk and Aggie DB750. And I use a cab from the nv series.

I ended up going with the t-funk (very similar to the 750 but cheaper) cause it's the closest sounding to my fav amp which is the Acoustic 360.

They are all killer combos, it really comes down to personal preference.
  3. msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I almost posted this exact thread recently. My SM-900 died and I'm trying to decide whether to get it fixed or go with something new (since I hate the "new" look). I love all of the heads mentioned as well as the offerings from Eden, and of course there is the pre/power thing to consider with the two Navigators for sale right now.

All in all, it's a good problem to have. :)
  4. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    if you dont have much to spend, the Ashdown gear is topnotch. my fav big company manufacturer.
  5. Ya, that's a tough one... I've tried the TF and am going to try another very soon.

I would however appreciate more feedback about the Ashdown Vs. TFB550. I'm not very familiar with the EQ on the Ash.

I had a DB750 recently and loved it, but found it too open in the lows, not tight enough for me, and not much EQ there. Great powerful amp though.
  6. coldtrain

Aug 19, 2004
    Middleburg, VA
    The Mark King head is probably going to be the most dissimilar of the bunch -- precise, tight, clear. But not harsh or sterile. I've gotten some really nice warm sounds out of it with a MIA Jazz. The graphic EQ is handy too but it may take some time to get used to it. I haven't played the other three at all.
  7. demon666

Jul 16, 2005
    Providence RI

Yeah i read a review on here about it being kinda similar to a walter woods which I've been gassing for for a while. Is that amp loud? would it be about the same as my Mesa M pulse 600?
  8. Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    For close to a year now, I've been gigging my Epi 310UL with a GK1001RBII. The last few gigs, I started using the Ash 500 EVO I've had for several years. WOW, what a difference! While the GK isn't bad, the Ashdown does the modern vintage thing really well. Modern control and definition but with the sweetness and fatness of a more vintage sound. Far more musical and muscular. I had to use the deep switch on the GK to fatten it up, which made the E string louder than the other ones. The Ash isn't nearly as treble happy as most other heads, so if you're a big time slapper, it may not have the hyper treble edge...but engaging the scoop switch instantly gives you an edgy slap tone. I would rate it as the most musical amp I've ever owned...more than the DB750, WT800, Demeter pre, GK, get the idea. Interesting how I had to try something else for a while to realize the Ash works better for me...but when I grow tired of it, I can go back to the SS GK for a new flavor.

Try them all. It doesn't hurt to own two or all three at once. Buy used, sell the ones you don't like...kind of like renting them for a while...which you may also consider if available. The Ash has been completely reliable...but it does have a really really noisey fan compared to any amp I've ever owned...maybe the EVO II's fans aren't as loud...not an issue with a band though. Oh, and though only rated at 500/4 ohms...its always been plenty loud...never have turned the master vol past 1 or 1:30 (well, not as loud as the DB750, but weighs half of the Ag...I owned them at the same time and chose to keep the Ash...far more versitile).