Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thunderfunk vs Ashdown ABM500 vs ?? for REGGAE

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AJ Love, Jun 17, 2004.

1. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    I've got the funds to get a good amp for around $1000 (preferably slightly less, but whatever...). Narrowed down my choices to the Thunderfunk or the Ashdown ABM500 but I have my mind open for other suggestions

currently have an 8 ohm Epifani T-210 as a cab, and within time I plan to add another Epi, either a 112 or a 115

my main band is a Reggae band. I am playing a Fender P Bass. as with any Reggae sound I am going after the big huge deep BASS tone

at the same time, I am also playing in a rock band and a funk/Hip Hop band, plus I do fill-in work and studio work here and there, so versatility is important, but the REGGAE thing is first for me

so, your feedback is important to me. I have a big recording session coming up in about 9 days, so I need to pull the trigger on my new amp purchase pretty soon here

if there is another suggestion you can make (Ampeg perhaps?) besides the two I mentioned, I am all ears

thanks in advance

2. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    I can't speak to the Thunderfunk, but an ABM500 will do nicely filling all those roles. The ABM has a contour switch that makes it sound nice and dubby so your specific reggae needs should be easy to meet.

3. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I use the ABM500 with a 4 ohm Epifani 2x10 currently. It will definitely cover a reggae gig. Pretty high-fi for old-school reggae tubey tones though, though the ABM dumbs is down a notch toward the old-school side of things.

If you have the back for it, I think the Ampeg 410 HLF is the quintessential reggae cabinet.

4. Mel Monihan

Mel Monihan

Mar 30, 2004
    I guess this is really not a fair comparison because I only have the small Ashdown electric blue 180 x15, so there is not tons of power there in reserve.I do have the Thunderfunk as my main rig though, and there is no comparison in the tonal capabilities and functionality of the two.I reiterate that my ashdown is the smallest one now made and it was bought for one nighters and society type gigs, but I have gone back to my Thunderfunk and Dr. BASS CAB single 15 cabinet because side by side there was an audible difference.The Thunderfunk can sound like almost anything you want it to from the deepest Reggae rumble to a slap happy machine.The big difference I guess is the four band parametric EQ.You can find the frequencies you want to boost or cut and do so accordingly.The frequencies are not pre set by the manufacturer as on the Ashdown.The enhance feature is also a big plus on the Thunderfunk.Ultimately YOUR ears are going to be the determining factor, but Dave now gives a 7 day trial period on the Thunderfunk amp, so you can take it in your local store and A-B- it for yourself.Good luck.

5. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    I'm saving for an amp that meets the same needs, and in addition to the Ashdown and Thunderfunk I've also been eyeing Mesa Boogie amps. But I've never a/b'ed any of it. Being an Ashdown EB owner as well I'd probably purchase the ABM if I didn't have a chance to try them all. A neighbor plays an ABM 500 and it sounds so warm, deep, and beautiful with his bag-end cabs. Much less "honky" than my EB sounds flat.