Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thunderfunk vs Walter Woods Ultra

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassvegas, Sep 10, 2004.

1. bassvegas

bassvegas

Jul 6, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    I'm considering purchasing one of these amps. I've read great things about both of them...but have not played either. I'm curious if there are any TBers that either own both or have A/B'd both. Price, wattage, and size are the obvious differences, but I would like to know more about the differences in tonality; low end - tight/loose, mid range - smooth or aggressive, clarity/presence, overall volume and headroom, - and any other factors that are relevant to tone and performance. :help: Thanks!

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The closest I come is owning both an AMP BH-420 and a WW Hi-Power (300/450 watts). The amps are similar in wattage and volume. I'd expect the Ultra would be noticeably louder.

I find the Woods EQ a bit more "musical" sounding and the amp is a bit brighter and more open.

I will say that the ONLY reason I bought the WW was because I was unhappy with the sound of my upright through the AMP. For electric bass only, I actually prefer the AMP.

My advice is that unless you are doubling or plan to in the future, buy the Thunderfunk.

3. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    I've owned both the ThunderFunk and the WW Ultra. The ThunderFunk is a very good amp, but you have the bread for the WW Ultra I would HIGHLY recommend it. The Ultra has a very tight sound and has plenty of power for any situation which was my main complaint with the ThunderFunk. 800 watts @ 8 ohms vs 240 watts @ 8 ohms. The Ultra has a much different sound for electric than the Hi Power described above. I sold my ThunderFunk and have 2 Ultras and will be my amp forever.

4. I can only speak for the WWU not the TF or any of the other WW amps. The WWU is; as NeedMoreBass said, very powerful and I have yet to run out of headroom. That being said I am still intrigued to no end by the TF, and since Dave is not far from me I fully intend on trying one for myself. Why? Because it's there... I must find out for myself as you all know ... if any of you pay attention to my constant blabbering about gear.

I still intend on trying, A/B ing, experimenting with gear full time someday. Doubt if I get paid though. Hey, everyone is passionate about something...

MY INNER VOICE ON ..... :help: ME!

5. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I've not tried the Thunderfunk but hear great things about it. If you double on acoustic and electric than there's just no comparison, the Woods is your amp. I've heard that the Thunderfunk doesn't do the acoustic bass thing.

I will have to add that if you don't mind a two space rack bag than I highly reccomend that you check out the Glockenklang Soul Top. I've always wanted a Woods but I was looking for more warmth. The Woods is quite a warm sounding amp but the Glock reacts just a bit slower which I like a lot. I can't imagine going without this Glock amp now. It's so cool to hear the sound in your head come out of your speakers. Of coarse this is the sound in MY head and not yours. If you want the best and you want really punchy, accurate and fast than the Woods is exactly that. If you want something of the same quality that also gives you the sound of your bass that's a bit warmer but also very quick and accurate than go for the Glock. If you want warm and small and to save some cash, and you don't double, than I'd check out the Thunderfunk. Again, as you've heard before, when the amps are this good it's a matter of taste. Oh yeah, I know that Woods is a lot louder than the other two amps that I mentioned but unless you're playing in a really loud rock band or a metal band than I'd say any of those amps will be loud enough.

6. Mel Monihan

Mel Monihan

Mar 30, 2004
    Great post guys!I have a Thunderfunk and I love it, but even Dave will tell you that if you have the money, the Woods is superior.The Thunderfunk is a great bang for the buck though.

7. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    The Ultra has enough power for outdoor gigs. I can run eight BagEnd cabs off an Ultra, at 1200 watts, and it'll get the sound "out there" into the crowd (supplement with subs as needed, I run an external Stewart 2.1 off the WW "line out" for that purpose). Can't beat that for a 7 pound amp. The WW has two preamp sections with parametric mids, so you can use two instruments or dial up two different sounds. The line out works great through the board too. Nice little amp.

8. OK so I'm not too smart.. how the heck do you run 8 Bags off the WWU to get a 4ohm load?

Also, you must not use the line out to the board when using subs. Must have to go direct through DI from bass. That is what I usually do because when using the DI from the line out the signal is way weaker for some reason. Walter said some DI, and instruments just react that way... ?

9. Daniel L.

Daniel L. Guest

Aug 30, 2002
    I've thought about buying a Woods myself. But I came up with a better plan.

Buy a Thunderfunk and an iAMP800.

Then I can do the old school sound with the TF and the crystal clear thing with the iAMP. All for the price of the WWU!

10. bassvegas

bassvegas

Jul 6, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    Guys, thanks for the input!

Brian – thanks for the info - I’ll be electric only. – 1 for TF

NeedMoreBass; thanks for your valuable input! Did you ever run the TF at 4 ohms? Was it the same scenario with a lack of power? My Eden WT400 sucks wind at 8 ohms, but short of some outdoor situations, has plenty of power into my 4-ohm 2x15 cab. 1 for WWU

Big String – I’m with you on that “official gear tester” (OGT) gig. We would have to add a house band, ProTools, a swimming pool and hoops for the testing facility – preferably in the sunbelt - with much love to the Windy City. ;) BTW – what does your Dem/Crest rig bring to the table that the WWU doesn’t? Do you have a preference? 1 for WWU?

emjazz – thanks for the recommendation – Soul Top…hmmm….good reviews…cool name….Dude, stop...your messin me up! :D I guess I’ll be busy at the winter NAMM show. :bassist:

Mel – yeah baby – one for WWU from the TF guy!

nonsqtr – good stuff – thanks. The outdoor gigs separate the men from the boys – P.A. reinforcement not withstanding. 1 for WWU

Dan: see emjazz. :D

If my math is right I've got: WWU: 4, TF: 1, Other: 2. Thanks, keep it coming!

11. Exactly, how the heck is this possible??? :confused: Do you rewire each cab in series for 32 ohms?

12. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I'm sure he meant by using his Stewart poweramp amp along with the power section of the Woods.

13. That would make sense, but I don't think so:

He said that he uses 8 Bags off of the Ultra alone, and he implied that, when neccesary, he brings and uses the Stewart only with the subs. Now why he would need or use 8 Bag End 15s is another mystery. ;)

14. Thunderfunk

Thunderfunk

Mar 27, 2004
    McHenry, IL
    If you have the money, buy the Woods.

Dave Funk

15. bassvegas

bassvegas

Jul 6, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    Dave, Your highly revered products are a testament to your good character. Thank you for your input.

16. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I don't know if this helps but The Low End has a used Thunderfunk on it's way.

17. Hman

Hman

Jan 8, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    I personally perfer the Thunderfunk over the WW...there are more sounds that you can dial in. I just love the 70's funk stuff with the TF. I can get a phat "Marcus" slap tone with the TF but not the WW. maybe just me :meh:

18. Nagrom

Nagrom

Mar 21, 2004
    Western Canada
    I bought the Thunderfunk last month. I've used it in a couple different rooms, and once outdoors. It runs an original Goliath 410, 8 ohms. If the Ultra is that much better, it must be one heck of an amp. The Thunderfunk instantly made me a better player; it hides nothing. My guitar player has finally quit saying "turn-up". Our drummer loves it.
    Indoors, the master's on five. Outdoors I went to 7.
    Runs quietly and cool. Barely feel any heat off the top, somewhat warmer on the bottom. Sounds immense.
    Thanks for TF#314, Dave.

19. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yeah H, that's makes sense. The Woods is just so clean that it won't get that old 70's J bass vibe. That particular sound needs a little dirt (not as clean). Very cool to hear that you're diggin the Thunderfunk.

20. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    dave, you rock. :smug: