Thunderfunk - what cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jacove, Aug 30, 2004.

1. jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    I was wondering if any of you Thunderfunk owners out there can recommend any small portable cabs for this amp. I was thinking that a pair of Aguilar 1x12 would be a great match, ot maybe 1x12 Bergs...I know Dave recommends accugroove, but I like my cabs to have a little more of that dark vintage flavour without the mud and boominess.....:bassist:
  2. Hman

Jan 8, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    I'm using the Accugroove Tri 1 x 12 and Epi 1 x 12.. They are both great cabs. The Accugroove is more clear and punch with the boominess to me. I even tried a SWR 6 x10 with it and sounds great too!! I don't think you can go wrong with any of the Berg or Aguilar. :D
  3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    You shouldn't have any mud or boominess with Accugroove cabs (at least not with a quality amp like the ThunderFunk). They are full-sounding, though. That said, when I had a ThunderFunk on hand, it sounded the best with my Epifani cabs (T-112 and T-110UL) and my Dr. Bass cabs (custom 2x10 and 1x15 neo models). It also sounded great with my Mesa Boogie 4x10 and my (now sold) Eden 212XLT. It didn't shine as well with my EA VL-series cabs.
  4. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    I've only played my Thunderfunk through SWR and Bag End (2-10) cabinets and the sound that I got out of those was pretty awesome (advantage Bag End). I could only imagine that the Berg's or Aguilar's would have to be even better (I prefer Berg's). If you've heard the Berg's and Aguilar's and have a preference then I'd say go with that. The TF will just make the cabinets sound better! :smug:
  5. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    I plan on pairing mine (on order) with either an Ampeg SVT4X10HLF, SWR Henry the 8X8, or a Bergie 6X10.

Another option I was looking at was the SWR 8X10 Big Tower.

6. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I'd love to hear the TF with a Berg HT112/EX112 stack. I bet that would be an incredible rig.
  7. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Very, very nice.
  8. Thunderfunk

Mar 27, 2004
    McHenry, IL
    I recently heard the amp with a pair of Bergantino 1x12's. Don't know the model but they were very small cabs. That might be a reason Bergs need more power? (so I've heard?) The Bergs sounded great, and soooo small. Jim Bergantino is a great guy and I think you can't go wrong with his products.

Dave Funk
  9. Mel Monihan

Mel Monihan

Mar 30, 2004
    Would someone on this forum please send Dave some of your sound bites using his amp and whatever cabinets you are using.I am a computer hopeless and he asked me for anything I had.Thanks in advance.I guess he still hasn't found what he's looking for...Where's a drummer when you need one?
  10. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Having heard the ThunderFunk head, and the Bergie HT112/EX112 mini stack (though not hearing them together), I would strongly suspect that this will be a match made in heaven! I have great respect for both products, and think that they would work really well together.
  11. Our good friend Jerry from Hawaii had this combo and has commented on how great it sounds. Jer were you at my Brother? :cool:
  12. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    How about with larger cabs? Like the Ampeg SVT4X10HLF, SVT6X10HLF, the SWR Henry the 8X8, or even the SWR Workingman's 8X10 Tower?

I want to melt my guitar players! (and sound good doing so).

13. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    I've been playing mine through a WBS 4 ohm 2X10 cabinet. They are made here in San Diego by Peter at Liberty Sound ( Mine has Eminence Neo drivers, and it is VERY lightweight. This particular cabinet (he makes several types) matches up quite well with the Thunderfunk. I'd describe the sound as being punchy, with nice depth. The cab has been able to take everything the Thunderfunk and I have thrown at it. Peter is a great guy to deal with and his prices are quite reasonable. I'm going to be trying a NEO 2X12 next week.
  14. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Hman had his Thunderfunk by my house yesterday. I thought it sounded pretty good through my Aguilar GS-112. I have no doubt that Bergantino and Accugroove sound even better.