1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Thunderfunk with which speaker configuration?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rabid_granny, Mar 31, 2006.

1. Which speaker configuration would work best with a TFB550-B head and a Fender Jazz or Precision? Looking for something that cuts through the mix of a delayed guitar and drums (ala old-school U2). 2x12, 4x10 or something else?

2. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    no experience, but people seem to love thunderfunk/schroeder or thunderfunk/accugroove

3. Boomer

Boomer

Sep 17, 2003
    Hollywood, FL
    I'm using mine with an Aguilar GS115 and GS210.

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    some say it all depends on the cab maker, but i have yet to use anything other than a cab 10" speakers for maximum punch and cut. my Tfunk rocks w/ my schroe, but its sounded great with whatever cab i've used it thru.

seems like you'll have a really dense sonic mix to battle thru, so i say get a 4x10.

if you have the money, i say go for a Schroeder 21012. lots of recent threads on how it cuts like a ginsu. little dough? try an Avatar Neo 4x10. gets raves 'round these parts, and heard it got a great review from terryb of bass world magazine.

5. Thanks. Just a bit of info about how it will be used. My band is a 3-piece with a U2-type sound. Heavy on delay, the heaviest it ever gets is with overdrive from an Ibandez tube screamer. The drummer isn't particularly heavy. If I do a side-project, I'd be interested in non-rock such as an R&B band.

6. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

IMO... the Thunderfunk is one of the most consistent sounding heads across a wide variety of cabinets. I find that the Walter Woods, Focus, iAmp, SWR, etc. can sound GREAT through some cabs and not so good through others. For some reason, I've yet to find a cab that doesn't work very well with the TF (the Eden heads seem to behave similarly to the TF in this regard IMO).

So.... it's a good situation to be in... you can pick just about any cab you want, and it will sound good. For your tone preference mentioned above, a nice 2x12 cab sounds like the ticket to me!

7. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I'll agree with KJung and joker, I've had the Thunderfunk sound great through any cab I've thrown at it - 1*12, 2*10, 3*10, 1*10

For what you're doing, I'd go with the 3*10/4*10 or 2*12. My personal favourite with the TFunk is the Epi UL-310

8. Big String

Big String Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Northwest Indiana
    Sounds great through the Bergantino Mini Stack BMS too.
    I've been impressed with it into an Accugroove EW and also my Berg NV215.

9. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I agree with just about everything that's been said so far! The Thunderfunk works great with every cab I have. Like Big String mentioned, it also works great with my pair of Bergie HT112's, I used to think I needed more watts for the Bergies. It is also a great match with any of my Schroeders. Have fun, there are a ton of great choices for that amp!

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    d'oh!?

when this happen? pics pleez!

11. I hope that the Thunderfunk is as amazing as everyone says. Having listened to the clips on Basstasters, the Thunderfunk was definitely one of my favourites. I currently using a Sansamp BDDI for my tone. I just remembered that I do have a 1x15 cab so would it be wise to compliment it with 12's or 10's? The 1x15 was reconed and sounds really crisp with my Jazz.

Also, are there any other amps that have the same reputation for versatility as the Thunderfunk?

12. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

IMO the EdenWT550 is similar in versatility to the TF, but the build quality is not in the same league (of course, it's less expensive also). Both the TF and WT550 are loud and lightweight, and sound good in many different situations IMO.

13. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    The thing about the Thunderfunk is it's limited to 4 ohms, so remember you're shopping for 2 8 ohm cabs.
    A Schroeder 410Light might be good with your 1-15 underneath...

14. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    My favorite pairings with either the 400w Thunderfunk I had on hand for an extended time, or with the 500/550 watt versions (which I had a very short time to 'play with') were pretty much any combination of Bergantino, EA, or Epifani cabs. I am sure that Glockenklang would sound great with a Thunderfunk as well, but I haven't tried that combo yet. The 400w T-Funk also sounded great with my Dr. Bass cabs.

Tom.

15. I have used mine with an El Whappo and still think that it is one of the best pairings of amp/cab I have tried. Currently I have mine paired with an Aguilar GS112 and really love it. Just add another cab if needed and you're off to the races.

Peace,

T

16. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    +1

I really dig the sound of the 310 w/ a TFunk. The Tfunk goes well with many cabs, but I really like the sound of the 310 with it. It's very practical as well - light, punchy, and loud. If you fing a laptop bag that will fit the TFB, you can load out your entire rig in one trip. The 310 in one hand, your bass in the other, and the TFB slung over your shoulder.

17. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    weird,

but i must be the only guy who didnt dig it all that much. sounded fine, but in the same way my iAMP-800 sounded "fine" thru the UL310, too.

but as of this weekend and umpteen gigs/rehearsals/messin' about the house, my new 1210L definitely has to be the most rockin' cab w/ the TF. just yesterday during rehearsal, i couldnt get over how easy it was to just twist the timbre knob, leave the EQ on the TF and my MTD flat, and wail away.

seriously, jive1, thx for a MOST rockin' rig. :cool:

18. HotRatz

HotRatz Guest

Mar 13, 2003
    Portland, OR
    Can I ask, has anyone tried the new T-funk 550B into a Berg HT210/115 stack? I have the older 400-watt pair. I'm very curious if it has enuff power to adequately drive them..

Oh yeah, they're 8 ohms/ea, so the 4-ohm limit is fine for me. Thanks y'all!

19. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    I use it with an NV425 and I love it.