1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thunderfunk + Wizzy = ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Crockettnj, Nov 28, 2006.

1. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    Curious, any one have experience with a t funk, or one of it's ancestors, on top of a M-line wizzy or two?

2. allenhumble

allenhumble

Oct 22, 2004
    Acworth GA.
    I don't own a thunder funk but I do have an M-line wizzy and it is a fantastic cab. I would think that it would be a great combo.

3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    +1 But keep in mind, Dave does not recommend running a 2 ohm load with his amps, and the Wizzy is a 4 ohm.

Tom.

4. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

Just curious, any other opinions?

I have a regular Wizzy (not an M) and I'm thinking of driving it with a Thunderfunk. Would this be a good match?

LeonD

5. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    No experience using the TFunk with the Wizzy but I've tried my TFB-550B through Berg's, Accugroove, SWR and Epi and they all sounded great.

That being said, IMO the Tfunk is one of those heads that just sounds great with any cabinet.

As Tom stated though, it's not recommended to be run down to 2 ohm's so if you plan on using two cabinets stay with 8 ohm cab's.

6. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

I hear what you're saying although I've read some posts where Dave says it's OK to run the amp at 2 ohms.

Right now, all I have is one Wizzy so it looks like I either add a second and run the amp at 2 ohms or find one cabinet that sounds like two Wizzys.

LeonD

7. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

I just reread the thread after my last post and saw the above.

I did find a few threads where Dave said it was OK to run the Thunderfunk at 2 ohms. It just wouldn't produce any additional power.

Now I'm confused.

LeonD

8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    To the best of my recollection, Dave has indicated in some posts that yes, the Thunderfunk will 'handle' a 2 ohm load, but he made it clear in other posts that the recommended minimum load is 4 ohm. He is very responsive, though, so I would just contact Dave directly on this issue.

Tom.

9. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    So i guess it is a matter of 400 watts into the 4 ohm cab, with tons of headroom to spare over the 200watt cab rating, or 400 watts split dividedup into the 2 cabs, each getting 200 watts- their rating- with what I would figure is less headroom.

I tried it with a GB440 and preferred the tone with one MLW. cant put my finger on it... with 2 it seemed to have a lot more upper mids (1-2 k ish) that I kept wanting to eq back.

Admittedly I only tried it for one set of one rehearsal. Interesting though.

the gibson + 1 mlw was very very satisfiying.

10. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    This may be helpful on the 2 ohm subject:

What D. Funk says:

My test load only goes to 2.66 ohms, so I haven't done any 2 ohm testing. If you run 2 ohms and it doesn't blow up, then you're good to go. It should theoretically work, but you WILL strain the transformer and the output transistors if you drive it too hard, which is the whole point. You won't get more power out of it as the max power computations are all based on supply voltage and load, and is why it's a 4-ohm amp. I have another post about 2-ohm loads somewhere. You need to understand that a 4-ohm amp isn't designed to work at 2-ohms OR 8-ohms. 8-ohms doesn't strain it, because it puts out less power. 2-ohms WILL cause strain, but how much? Depends. I wouldn't do it. Many amps don't do 2-ohms. And bridged, many only do 8-ohms. Maybe you need different speakers?

My testing would be very abusive. Your playing probably isn't. I've tested the amp to the point of the aluminum chassis hitting 200 degrees F, and the emitter resistors unsoldering themselves. It didn't blow after 12 hours in this steady state. That's 100% continuous full-power. Your playing is probably 20% of that. You hit a note and the PEAK is 550-watts, but it fades immediately, averaging (I estimate) 20%.