Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

thunderfunk

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thetaxmiser, Nov 15, 2003.

1. thetaxmiser

thetaxmiser Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2002
    Sonoma County, CA, USA
    I posted this in the pit as well but I wanted to share here...this is the best piece of gear I've run into in a while.

I have been looking for a portable replacement for my alembic f2-b / mesa boogie M-180 for a couple of years. It was 200 tube watts that I used through a 2-15 EV cabinet and it covered any room I worked (probably 1,000+ gigs over 15 years). I haven't found the right combination of tone, size, features and price until now. I have had a Thunderfunk BFT420 bass head for about 10 days and this thing is the real deal. It is a resurrection of the A.M.P. BH420 / Gibson GB440 design.

Features:
    400 watts @ 4ohms.
    2 rack space, 16 pounds.
    Controls are Gain, Enhancer, Bass, Treble, Timbre, Volume, and 4 band semi-parametric EQ.
    Rear panel includes XLR direct out(post EQ) and 1/4" direct out(pre EQ), 2 effects loops, and 2 1/4" speaker outs.
    Front panel also sports headphone and tuner jacks

It has no fan and is very quiet. I like the tone. I had tried an EA Iamp 350 and a SWR Super redhead over the past couple years but I couldn't get the fast, clear, punchy sound I want. I had given up and bought a QSC PLX 3002 to match with the alembic, put it in a rack case, and had an amp head that was way bigger than I wanted. I read about the Thunderfunk and decided to give it a try. $595 plus $20 shipping, 7 day trial period, 2 year warranty...nothing to lose. More info at www.thunderfunk.com. After hearing the Thunderfunk I am putting the QSC up for sale in the for sale forum (maybe 5 hours playing time on it).

In all honesty when I go back and forth from the Thunderfunk to the F2-B the alembic sounds a bit crisper on the low end but nothing that is noticeable in any real situation. I have an Alembic series 1, a roscoe beck 5 string, a turner renaissance 5 string, and a frankenfender fretless. Whatever I plug into this amp just sounds great.

I'm using it through a bergantino HT112 cab and I will eventually add a second cab. Great rig, super portable, fantastic price.

Regards,

Bob

2. Woodboy

Woodboy

Jun 9, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    400 watts is probably not enough to adequately power a 4 x 10" in a band situation with two guitars and a drummer. Would you agree? Everyting I have read about the Thunderfunk is positive, but my GK 700RB is 380 watts and it doesn't have enough of something (watts, current, damping factor?) to give me the punch I want in my band. So I'm figuring 400 watts isn't that big of a step up (darn it!)

3. thetaxmiser

thetaxmiser Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2002
    Sonoma County, CA, USA
    I'm no expert but if 2 amps are rated within 20 watts of each other, and both ratings are honest, I don't think you could hear any difference.

Like I said above though, I played for a lot of years and with some LOUD drummers and 200 tube watts covered the gigs fine. I don't eq with a huge low end. I feel like the room always adds some boom. I think cabinet efficiency and EQ preferences go a long ways towards reducing power requirements. I played with one or 2 EV b215-m cabinets and was able to keep up in any situation.

Good luck in your search.

Bob

4. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    Is your 4x10" cab a 8 or 4 ohm? If it's 8 ohms your 700RB is only pushing 225 watts. A buddy of mine is using the ThunderFunk with a 4 ohm Avatar 4x10" cab and is getting the full 400 watts from his amp and his rig ROCKS!!

5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    No, I wouldn't ;)

Every time someone tells me this sort of thing, I think:

1. Everyone is too loud

2. Everyone is too LOUD

3. Everyone is TOO LOUD

4. EVERYONE IS TOO LOUD

I knew a guy who owned an 800 watt head driving 2 15" cabinets and told me he was being drowned out at REHEARSALS.

There is simply no point in being that loud.

Touring bands all over the world playing on huge stages seem to do just fine with 300-500 watt amps.

How much IS enough? I mean kick it up to 800 watts, that adds 3 dB...but it's not THAT much louder. To be twice as loud..you need 4000 watts which will fry the cabinet. Where does it all end?

6. Woodboy

Woodboy

Jun 9, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    My 410 is 4 ohms, so I am getting the 380 watts of the 700RB. My cabinet, the Ampeg BXT-410, is rated at 700 watts continuous. I can get the 700RB loud enough, but it doesn't support the low E string. It starts to fart on this string before the others. No wonder, 'cause I am asking it to pump out 41 Hz CLEANLY and that takes a lot of juice to move those speakers. Tone is King in my book and I want a clean, deep sound. If the 700RB could handle the E string, I could probably live with it.

7. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I picked up a Thunderfunk amp a couple months back, and I really dig it! I just run it basicly flat, and it sounds great with plenty of volume!

8. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    p.s. If you do want a GK 700RB, my latest Musicians Friend catalog is blowing them out for 399.00.

9. +3db is NOT twice as loud. It's barely noticeably louder.

An amp with twice the wattage gets +3db louder.

10. +3db is NOT twice as loud. It's barely noticeably louder.

An amp with twice the wattage gets +3db louder.

11. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Woodboy-Sell that 4x10, and get a 8 ohm 4x10 and a 8 ohm 1x15. When two speakers are within a foot or so of each other, you get a 6 DB gain. Also, if it is within a foot of a wall, you get a few more DB. My ampeg cab is a 4x10/1x15. When it's fullrange, the impedance is 8 ohms. When you plug into either the 4x10 or the 1x15,the impedance is 4 ohms. I plugged into just one section, so that section was getting 450W. It was just as loud as the full range, which gets 275W. Just a little something to think about. Also, some ampeg cabs are pretty inefficent.

12. extreme

extreme

Mar 20, 2000
    Let me just point out that Thunderfunk is in IL and the poster who calls himself "thunderfunk" is out in NC...don't assume that Dave Funk would post bogus info. like that 3dB = twice as loud comment.

13. OK - I stand down.

"A speaker system with a sensitivity that is 3 dB higher will, to achieve the same volume level, use about 1/2 the amplifier watt of the lower sensitivity speaker system."

... or ...

"A speaker system with a sensitivity that is 3 dB higher then a lower sensitivity speaker system will sound about 1-1/4 times louder."

Thanks to all for the correction. I found it several places - this one had a nice chart:

http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/voltageloudness.html

14. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The "twice as loud" thing is endlessly confusing because although 3 dB is a doubling of POWER to our ears it is not "twice as loud".

It needs to be 10 dB louder for our brains to perceive it as "twice as loud" and that's a power increase of 10x, not 2x.

15. I wrote the below privately, but it was suggested I post it here. Always one to follow good advise, here it is:

"I am NOT the manufacturer - the TFB420's are hand made by Dave Funk in IL. I am working with Dave and from NC to get these into dealers, that is why the link. You will find my personal details at the TF web site.

"The stupid posting about the doubling of power was from the manual - which was NOT written by Dave, and unfortunately also not caught in the edit phase - we will be re-writing that - it was simply bad information that I carelessly passed along without checking.

"Having just "joined" Talk Bass, I got off to a limpy start, huh? Hopefully the TB crowd will forgive me at least this one oversight."

16. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I wouldn't sweat it Thunderfunk! You should have seen my early posts:eek: As far as working for Dave Funk, and getting the word out......more power to ya! They are great amps, and deserve wider recognition:bassist:

17. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    Ignant foo' post on my part here but:

Are the Thunderfunk heads basically the AMP420 design? If not, how do they differ?

18. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    They are basically a Gibson GB440 which was the next geneartion of the AMP420, both designed by Russ Allee. Dave Funk has made minor mods to improve the high and low end to give it a more modern tone. Also the power amp is more efficient.

19. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Where can I possibly get one? I am on the market for a new amp. I had my mind set on Eden, but this amp is pretty inexpensive, and looks like it is pretty awesome, judging by reviews. The warrantee and trial period look pretty nice as well. I checked the sites of the two dealers that were on the ThunderFunk site, but one just sold Epifani gear, and I didn't see anything about ThunderFunk on the other site either.

20. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Dave Funk usually puts them up on E-Bay every week.