Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tritone, Aug 12, 2004.

1. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    OK, I was really skeptical of all the hype I was hearing about the Thunderfunk TFB-420. I went ahead and bought one to try out, and all I can say is WOW.... :hyper:

I used it at rehearsal last night, plugged into an 8 ohm Mesa Road ready 4X10. My bass was a Lakland 55-94 with Barts. The bass and treble were both slightly boosted, which is how I have it EQ'd 95% of the time. I set the amp EQ flat, and I turned the enhance knob halfway up.

When I played I was greeted with a sound that one of my bandmates described as "punchy bottom". I turned the "Timbre" knob one click to the left, and that was all I did to EQ the amp. The "Timbre" knob seems to be the trick to getting the most out of the amp, but I really haven't had it long enough to be sure. The amp handled everything I put into it, and was VERY quiet, just like I had read.

This is really a great sounding amplifier! It's warm, punchy, and clear. I didn't believe what was being written about the amp sounding great with the EQ set flat, but it really does live up to the claim. I've been a Mesa player for years, but this just might put my M-2000's into retirement. Kudos to Dave Funk!

2. clarksouter

Aug 12, 2004
    Artist-Warrior Basses, Artist for T.C. Electronic Bass Equipment
    I just have to preach the gospel of Dave Funk and his amp that has given me the tone I always wanted and at only 15lbs.! Everyone should hear what this can do for their sound! From the heavy rock of my band The Up to my gigs with Kristeen W's house music hit machine it always makes me happy. Clark-
  3. Tritone

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    Testify!! I believe!!

I also have to give props to Peter at, here in San Diego. He is a Thunderfunk dealer and a great person to work with. He also is a dealer for several other brands. He makes his own cabinets under the name of Wan Professional Audio. His 4 ohm 2X10 cab was DEADLY with the Thunderfunk!! I think I'm going to retire my Road Ready cabs.....
  4. Hmmm.... another Thunderfunk thread... when does the madness end? ;)

I know I said the Avalon U5 was the best sounding preamp on basstasters in the "Avalon U5" thread, but I stand corrected, the Thunderfunk takes the crown (a very close race, though).

"Warm, punchy, and clear"? Sounds right up my alley. I can just hear the compliments now (hopefully, from non-bassplayers especially).

The Thunderfunk will be my next amp; no doubt about it.

As always, I could be right.... err, maybe not....
  5. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    I'll second that! My Thunderfunk arrived yesterday also. I was knocked out by how good it sounds with the EQ's set flat.
    I cranked it up and the sound stayed clean, tight and focused! Can't wait to get it out on a gig! :hyper:
  6. vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    I too was really surprised how great the Thunderfunk sounds. All you Eden players out there, it seems to me that you'd like the Thunderfunk even more. Worth checking out, for sure. Every time I plug the TF in, I'm shocked at how smooth it is - and how those harsh highs just aren't annoying anymore. Sounds great with botique basses too, don't be wary of trying the amp because you think flat is where it's at. Flat is sure one way of hitting the tone, but TF goes in another, equally good direction.

Definitely on my short list!
  7. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    As most everyone knows, the TF design is based on the old AMP BH420. I once put a bunch of my amps on the bench and used a scope to check out the freq response with the EQ controls set flat. Guess what, ONLY my AMP heads were actually flat :cool: All the other amps had significant treble boosts built in :meh:

As has often been said (but probably not believed by many) flat EQ usually sounds kinda dull and lifeless to people. Ever wonder why the beloved Sadowsky preamp is BOOST ONLY? The original 2-band StingRay EQ is also boost only, ditto with the EQ on old Fender tube amps, Alembic preamps, etc.
  8. lsimy

lsimy Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2003
    Virginia, USA
    I'm very interested in one of these myself. I think Dave's choice of components and construction is just what the doctor ordered for my currently pathetic tone.

I do have one question: I notice the preamp has a compressor on it adjustable by the input level sort of ala Eden. How is the compressor ?? I really like compression myself and appreciate what it does for me. Having one built in would be a real gem and one less unit to carry around.

Thanks !!
  9. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    It's actually a Limiter. It has an on/off sw. and the limit level is adjusted via the gain/limit control. It's function is much different than a compressor. It's designed to prevent the input signal from exceeding a preset level or as Dave puts it "to squeeze the sound into a smaller dynamic range".
  10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Still haven't used that function. It's just way too easy for me to control dynamics with this amp and my hands. Like the AMPs I used before it, maintaining an even level is a piece of cake and it stops and starts notes as quickly and evenly as I do.
  11. jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    Are there any plans for these to be introduced in a highter wattage version? Say 800 watts ?
  12. Tritone

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    I remember a thread about that topic, and I seem to remember something about 800 watts not going to happen. Perhaps Dave Funk could chime in and clarify. Honestly, this thing is killing my 600 watt M-2000.....

Regarding the limiter, it's pretty smooth and doesn't seem to clamp down on things too hard.
  13. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Man! The more I play with this thing the more impressed I am! Such a thick sound! The "Enhance" and "Timbre" controls are like magic knobs! There are so many quick usable sounds with just tweaks of those 2 knobs! It's transferred my Goliath Jr. III into a boutique cabinet. :eek:
  14. duncbass

Dec 28, 2003
    I think the answer was that an 800 watt model would be more expensive to build than two 400's.