Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ekohen, Dec 11, 2004.

1. ekohen

Aug 31, 2004
    Well I got my Thunderfunk, Kicks Ass!!
    My other rig is an Aguilar DB359, but this is the amp goin on the gig. This thing is absolutely all it's cracked up to be. Warm, loud and clean with lots of attack but no brittleness to the mid or highs. The simplest amp to get good tone with that I've owned. Soon I'll be getting my Accugroove Tri210, Ill send an update then.
    "Ain't no music like Fusion Music!"
  2. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas

I bet the TF and Tri 210 will really sound nice together; looking forward to a report.
  3. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    Ahhhhh another convert!

4. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Congratulations! great amp!
    The more you play it out, there more you'll be impressed! :D
  5. rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Hey ekohen,
    I just sold my DB359 a couple months ago and been kicking myself ever since. I've been looking very hard at the Thunderfunk as a possible replacement. How would you compare the 2? Similarities, differences, etc. Basically, is it a difficult transition going from an all tube head to a solid state? Thanks for any input you can give me.
  6. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Dying to hear the update with the Tri210.

My first impression of my Thunderfunk? "Wow, maybe I don't have to haul tubes to have a warm, agressive, punchy sound!"
  7. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Thunderfunks are really nice. I really like mine. I plan to get Accugroove (Whappo Jr) in the future to match with it, though currently my Aggie GS112s do pretty well.
  8. ekohen

Aug 31, 2004
    Haven't done any recording with the TFB420 yet but judging by live usage I think it will work out fine. As a matter of a fact I would consider selling the DB359 if I needed the cash, but it is a nice luxury. The TF to me sounds as warm and I easily get the sound I'm looking for, I don't think you'll be sorry if you go with the TF. Also this thing weighs 15lbs!!!
  9. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    You tempt me sir! Thanks for the posts. I am considering a Thunderfunk paired with a BergieHT112/Ex112 combo.
  10. the dude

Sep 19, 2004
    That's my setup.

Sounds great.
  11. goat1234

Mar 17, 2004
    El Dudearino, how well does the thunderfunk power them? I would love to downsize to a thunderfunk with my Ht/Ex combo. My Ca-6/ Demeter setup is just too heavy!

(love the avatar!)
  12. the dude

Sep 19, 2004
    My "big rig" is a similar setup (CA9/Kern or SVPCL with 2 stacks.) It certainly isn't the same sound, but the TF certainly has enough to open up the Ht/Ex - I think it sounds great!
  13. GRoberts

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Dude, Does the Thunderfunk have a clip light for the input or output? What I noticed when I did demoed an HT/EX stack this weekend was that the Behringer head I was using (BX3000T - it is anAshdown MAG 300 clone) was clipping a little at what I considered band volume to be. The Behringer is 300W@4 ohms. While a Korean made knock off, it is a reasonable facsimile for the Ashdown which is 200@ @4 ohms. So you've never had any power related concerns with the HT/EX stack and the Thunderfunk? The TF amp sure is looking appealing. The more I play, the more I realize I am a plug and play kind of musician. I love keeping it simple. - Gary

edit, the Behringer is a "chinese' made knock off.
  14. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    I have a DB359, and just ordered the Whappo Jr. from a new dealer here in NC, and I like the Aguilar sound, so I'm gonna grab me an Aggie AG500SC when they come out. Do you think the TF would be better? I probably won't be swayed to the TF but I'm curious to hear everyone's opinions on which would be better.
  15. thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    now now the behringer is a Chinese made knock off, not a Korean one, just to be a technicality-nazi

-a non offended ethnically korean sib-par skills bassist

16. GRoberts

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Another Thunderfunk question. I plan to use it with Bergantino cabinets. Does the Thunderfunk have Speakon outputs? What about input or output signal clip lights?

I;m guessing it must have enough power if it is often used with Accugrooves. But they have an impedance switch as I recall which allows them to be set at 4 ohms. That would get the full 400W from the Thunderfunk. Are there any plans for a higher powered Thunderfunk Amp?

Thanks! - Gary
  17. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
  18. jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    Congratulations, the TF is an awesome amp, I'm using it with a Berg NV610 and it ROCKS....I also own the Aggie db680/db728, but I take out the TF alsmost evertime I go out to a sounds great in any setting!
  19. GRoberts

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Is the Berg NV610 8 ohm or 4 ohm?
  20. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I used my Thunderfunk with either two Bergie HT112's or one of Jorg's 1210's.............sounds great either way :cool: