Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Vinpaul, Aug 25, 2005.

1. Vinpaul

Aug 24, 2005
    Melbourne, Aus
    hey was just wondering if those who have this amp could tell me if it is suitable for a hard rock band context, i hear its greqat for funk/jazz but what about gnr, pearl jam, metallica typer of stuff? I am not after svtr distortion but something with a bit of punch and balls at least. thaNKS
  2. Rumblebee

Rumblebee Guest

Mar 16, 2005
    Read this thread:

Also, do a search on here for Thunderfunk... that should give you a good idea... Of course, it will all eventually depend on the subjectivity of your own ears, but maybe it can answer some questions for you. Hope that helps.
  3. I think you aren't getting many responses due to the fact that most of us TF users play more jazz/pop/funk music and can't really comment on using the head for the more aggressive rock stuff. While it is rather warm sounding for a transistor amp... an SVT it ain't.... seems like there would be more growly, tuby options out there there might be better for what you are talking about... maybe one of the big Ampeg hybrids. However, if you want it light, loud and clean... the TF is great.
  4. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Sounds like you are describing some of the Mesa Boogie stuff. If you got the coin for a TF, you'd be able to do a Mesa M Pulse 600 or similar.
  5. +1 on the MPulse600 for a great, tubey rock tone and tons of volume.
  6. Vinpaul

Aug 24, 2005
    Melbourne, Aus
    thanks guys but the mesa stuff like the m-pulse 600 is a bit out of my league round here it costs twice what the Thunderfunk does
  7. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    The Thunderfunk CAN rock!!! :bassist:
  8. I only paid about $200 more for a new MPulse600 versus the TF550 with Switch and rack ears. Has the MPulse600 increased... they were selling for about $1,300 about a year ago (in the US)...are you somewhere else?

Edit... from your 'around here' comment, I assume you are not in the US, which does change things (update your profile and tell us about yourself, by the way :) The TF is possibly my favorite amp of all time... although I don't play the type of music you do. As said earlier... If you are not looking for a full SVT grind, I can't imaging a better amp than the TF550. The switch option will give you a little more sparkle... but I don't think that would be necessary for the type of music you are playing... so you might be able to save the $75 on that if you are on a budget. :hyper:
  9. Vinpaul

Aug 24, 2005
    Melbourne, Aus
    well the M pulse is available at normal retail stores which are a huge rip off. The thunderfunk is available from this online store which basically doesnt make u pay extra for shipping etc. The problem is they only stock the 400 watt version, does that one have the switch as well?
  10. Ozbass

Apr 11, 2005

Try this;
    It's in Aus......I think they offer a 2 wk trial period on the TF550

11. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Actually last I spoke to David at Green Square Music, he was saying the newer 550w version isn't far away.
  12. philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    Oh yeah? Where's the boat now? :D
  13. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Indy what do you guys recommend as a light weight alternative to the SVT for hard rock?
  14. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    My solution is to use an iAMP 500 and throw a SansAmp in front of it when I need that SVT tone. I also use an overdrive pedal(s) when I need a dirty sound.

The nice thing about this modular approach is that I can get a lot of different sounds. As a bonus, I get the light weight of the iAMP plus a couple of pedals.

Purists will say that nothing sounds like an SVT. I play to bar crowds. Crank up the volume and they cannot tell the difference. :D

I am sure the Thunderfunk would work well too.
  15. Thunderfunk

Mar 27, 2004
    McHenry, IL
    The boat should arrive in a week or two.
  16. Thunderfunk

Mar 27, 2004
    McHenry, IL
    I did Bruce Brown's favorite Fender amp, one part at a time. Bruce played with Charlie Daniels for a long time. When we got to the last cap he preferred a ceramic disc to the better sounding film cap. It put just enough grind into it. Now, one of the many changes I made to the Gibson amp was to change almost all the ceramic discs to film caps, as well as the electrolytic caps to films. Electrolytics are used because the large values needed for bass frequencies are expensive. You basically go from a 5 cent part to a $1.50 part. Don't think that these older amps used these parts because they wanted the amp to grind. They did it to save money and increase profits. What you're really hearing isn't grind, but a harshness that makes piezo drivers (IMHO) unusable. Sam Bollé is using his horns again. But I also increased the power filtering by almost double, to reduce low freq distortion and hum. This is what gives it the smooth, deep, low end. If you want grind you should get a tube overdive unit. Transistors don't sound good when they distort. Compare a Marshall to a Rat pedal. The amp does have a guttiness to it, and many have replaced SVT's with it. It seems to be the upper mids that they like. I've heard plenty of rock bands with bad sounding basses. In my experience the good sounding ones were using Eden. Shania Twain's bass player also had a nice rock sound with Warwick. (In case you don't know, the definition of country music is it has a steel guitar in it. Take the steel out of Shania's or Trisha's records, and you have pop or rock.) Of course the definition of recorded bass is the Ampeg B-15, Period.
  17. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds
    SSSHHHHH! Don't clue others to what we country folks are recording. LOL
  18. cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses

You have to try the Tech21 Landmark 300 or Landmark 600! :bassist:

All the tubey, SVT-like rock tone you could want and a helluva lot more besides! But not a 'tube' in sight...! :D
  19. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds

I would have to agree! Or get an RBI pre and a Stewart single space poweramp. Super light.
  20. Hey, "country" is the only thing that keeps us steelers in business. If it weren't for "country" we would be as popular as sitars.

Thanks for the info on your amp improvements, Dave. One of these days I'll get over the mountains to Denver and see if I can find one. The reviews sure sound like an amp I would love.