Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thunderfunk550 vs WT550

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mr_Dave, Aug 9, 2005.

1. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    Hi, there was a thread sometime ago about this but i just cant find it, i been searching,

can anyone point me too it or help me out? I would use it with a 4ohm quad, most likely a new epifani 410ul.

both have flexible eqs, both are compact and light, both have similar power ratings... :confused: hmmm.

i've played the wt550 a quiet a number of times but i would have to get the thunderfunk on 2 week trial. (least i can do that!!!)

Question: they're both supposed to be fairly clean amps, but which one will growl the most with the pre cranked. obviously the eden has a tube... and i have gotten it to growl a bit when trying it. people say the 'funk doesn't do it, but i thought i would ask. not a driven sound, just a bit of warm growl...

thanks.

2. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

The Thunderfunk is designed specifically to not distort. You can run a boost/overdrive/fuzz on the front end tho. Dave says you have to use the limiter to hear the effect.

3. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I own both a TFB420 and an eden wt800B, and would not say that either of them provide anything close to a "driven sound."
    I used to own a mesa 400+, and it would do what I believe you're looking for.
    While I would not call either the TFB or the Eden "sterile hi-fi," neither really do the "old school grind."
    I use both for double bass amplification primarily, and I require "warm and clean."
    HTH, YMMV, etc.

4. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    just found the thread.

yeah,

my terms are probably a bit wrong. With the eden and my 62 cij jazz and the gain cranked, i just a hear a little sort of fizz. sorry i'm not explaining this very well. just i didn't hear that at all when i tried an aguilar ag500.

i believe the thunderfunk would be more like the aguilar i guess.

i want a fast quick amp for slapping and my attemped rocco prestia stylings with my instrumental 70's funk/fusion band but not "sterile" like an swr as people always say...

5. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    this quote is what made me ask the question

slinkp wrote

"- in spite of the transistor-vs-tube thing, the TF to my ears gets slightly more raucous when you push the input gain hard. The Eden doesn't really overdrive much - it's a "clean tube" preamp sound."

interesting. he says later that it's only with the limiter on. perhaps someone could explain that? is that damaging the amp :confused:

thanks for your help already!

6. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    As previously mentioned, I own both a TFB420, and an Eden WT800B (and an Eden Navigator)...I use them very much interchangebly and do not notice an appreciable difference between them.
    I've not "a/b'd them," same time, same place, same cab, same instrument...guess I should sometime.

I also own an swr super redhead, and an swr baby blue 2x8, and would describe both of them as "cleaner."

7. You are totally describing what I strive for in amplification.... the Eden is great... the Thunderfunk is perfect for this sound! +1 on Chef's comments... both amps nice and clean... the TF just seems incredibly quick on the transients and has a very nice 'slap friendly' treble response with the switch option 'down'... i.e., tube emulation off. The Eden sounds a little 'wider' to me on the bottom end... but the slightly compressed low end of the TF (IMO) really results in the bass punching through.

8. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    i've been reading so many other threads and (nearly) everyone keeps saying the same thing...

Looks like i'll be getting a Thunderfunk for a trial and hopefully too keep when i just get the rest of the money! :hyper:

Thanks KJung, i've been reading many of your other posts as you use it with the epi 410ul. thats the tone, fast, warm, punchy. maybe growly is the wrong word, just warm? :meh:

thanks

9. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    To go back to the Mesa 400+ thing again...the thing I admired the most about that amp was that even at low volumes, and "low attack levels on the strings," you could really feel all 12 of those 6L6's idling in the backround...big beefy punch on the notes that let you know there was 400 watts behind every note. Almost as if there was a compressor on there pushing gain up on the lower volume notes, which of course there wasn't...
    The TFB and Eden both do a really good job of providing that same feel, and *do* have compressor/limiters that might be what helps that.
    I guess my point is that both are fiiiine amps, and really so similar to each other (to my ears) that's it's a dang tough choice to make.
    With either, you'll have an excellent weapon :ninja:
    Given that you're choosing between the TFB550, and the WT550...I'd give the nod to the TFB's *4* section para eq...
    For a lot much more dinero, you can step up up to the wt800B, and get ~1100 watts into 4 ohms...

All fine choices, you won't find much fault with any of them.

10. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    hey chef,

thanks for your help!

i would love to get a full tube amp someday, full on sound, but full on maintence as you would know! i just can't afford it.

the new wt800b would have masses of headroom, it would be very cool but that will retail for 3500ish here in aus, not sure. i could a little bit off that. i know i can get a wt550 for 2400 from my bass shop where they look after me. the thunderfunk is 1990. great deal. although i would get the roadcase and it would have to be shipped from sydney to melbourne.

isn't it stupid with all this gas i think i've narrowed it down but it just doesn't make the decision any easier...

11. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    For buying TFB's, dealing with Dave Funk direct is awesome.

For Eden gear, search ebay US for "warpdrivemusic"

I got my WT800B for $1100 USD from them...

12. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    yeah, green square music are now distributing Tdf in australia, good price too!

only problem with the eden thing is we're on 240v power and i would have to pay to get in converted from 120. i would probably prefer to have the new warrenty too.

13. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    That was new with warranty;)

14. It's great that the TF has distribution in Australia. I noticed you are considering buying the light road case. I picked one up and it has positives and negatives...

The positives.. great quality, very high level of protection, small and light.

The negative.... no pockets or compartments for cables, etc. There is enough room for the power cord and speaker cable (if you get a short speaker cable), but no room for extension cords, etc. If you carry another bag with that stuff in it, then no big deal. I'm a 'one trip in and out' fanatic, due to the type of gigs I do, so I ended up putting the TF in a two space SKB rack.... still very light and the SKB offers good protection for most situations... and the extra space in the back of the rack case allows me to put extension cords, etc. with the amp. The SKB is larger than the TF road case, but still fits nicely on the top of a moderate sized cabs for rolling into the gig.

15. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    yes,

my brain was slowly thinkin, tick tick tick "why would a wt800b be on the market second hand..." tick tick tick
    :)

confound you!!! :D

16. kasbrey

kasbrey

Aug 23, 2002
    Northampton UK
    If you like Eden you'll love the new Markbass range :hyper:
    Warm, light and so punchy...

17. seaKamp

seaKamp

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago
    Does anyone here know if Thunderfunk will be coming out with a preamp unit? I'd love to try that through my CA9 and soon to be TRI210L!!

18. Gomez

Gomez Live from the Shire

Apr 15, 2005
    I have a WT550 which I'm really happy with. Never played a TF550 though. The guy's name is really Dave Funk?

Staggering.

19. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Orange Park, Florida
    No, his name is not Dave Funk. But out of respect for the guy I won't reveal his real name.

20. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    If his name is not Dave Funk, then he wrote his awesome tube amp workbook under a "nom de plume." His email and author name both would indicate his name is Dave Funk, and that's how he's always addressed himself to me...info here:

http://www.thunderfunk.com