Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

thunderin' and spielin' simultaneously

Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by CJ_Marsicano, Feb 2, 2003.

1. watt,

i've been on a major saturation mode with watt music (minutemen, fIREHOSE, dos) in the cd players this past weekend -- it's been a while since I played most of the minutemen and fIREHOSE stuff. anyway, on some of the minutemen and early fIREHOSE stuff like "search" and "making the freeway" I noticed that when you're spielin'/hollerin'/singin', the bass lines end up minimal if anything, so I always presumed that it was hard for you to spiel and boom on certain tunes at the same time back then. i had to do this a couple of times in my last band and if I do a project of my own I may end up working the pentagon thud staff instead of rhythm guitar if live situations come up (i'm a multi-instrumental cat like j) - any tips on how to keep the spielin' and thunderin' in sync onstage?

ceej

2. watt

watt TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

cj,

I don't know if there's any shortcuts around the coltrane method - "practice, practice, practice..." it's the only thing I've found to work for me. it comes around after a while but you gotta really put in the time which for me is ok cuz time practicing is never time wasted, it's always a good investment.

on bass, watt