thunderin' and spielin' simultaneously

Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by CJ_Marsicano, Feb 2, 2003.

1. watt,

i've been on a major saturation mode with watt music (minutemen, fIREHOSE, dos) in the cd players this past weekend -- it's been a while since I played most of the minutemen and fIREHOSE stuff. anyway, on some of the minutemen and early fIREHOSE stuff like "search" and "making the freeway" I noticed that when you're spielin'/hollerin'/singin', the bass lines end up minimal if anything, so I always presumed that it was hard for you to spiel and boom on certain tunes at the same time back then. i had to do this a couple of times in my last band and if I do a project of my own I may end up working the pentagon thud staff instead of rhythm guitar if live situations come up (i'm a multi-instrumental cat like j) - any tips on how to keep the spielin' and thunderin' in sync onstage?

2. watt

watt TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

I don't know if there's any shortcuts around the coltrane method - "practice, practice, practice..." it's the only thing I've found to work for me. it comes around after a while but you gotta really put in the time which for me is ok cuz time practicing is never time wasted, it's always a good investment.

on bass, watt