1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thunderscreech's Review of the Metal Muff

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Thunderscreech, Mar 15, 2009.

1. I've owned this beast since early 2007, when I was but a foolish gui****. I actually sold it and then bought it back. It belonged to my cousin for awhile and was then re-appropriated for a friend, and has now been reassigned to bass.

First off, it is a monster. And I mean this in the best way possible. It does a good job (to my earplug-filled ears) of making a distorted sound without getting "fizzy". Your Results May Vary, but with a Laney RBH800 driving a 4x10 and 1x15, I detected minimal fizz. This was also with a heavy mid scoop. Having the "Top Boost" on actually makes it sound a little edgier i.e better on my amp with my setting (which I am too lazy to go look at right now because it is 12:35 AM. I'll make not of them tomorrow).

Secondly, the notes are pretty clear. Sure, the low B on my five string is boomy, and I had to actually use the tone control (!!!!!:eek:!!!!!) on my bass to remove some of the highs. Methinks those rocking P's or slightly favoring the Neck on their J's might be liking this pedal (if a rude sound is what you are after. I will say that EHX can make rude and over-the-top pedals). Also, turning off the "Top Boost" will remove lots of the treble-y scream but re-arranging the knobs will be in order. That's the only caveat I have right now at this stage of testing. Expect a full-er video review in my Distortion Megatest Thread. But back to notes, they sound pretty good. I can sorta play the intro to Om's Flight Of The Eagle and still sound good, sans Rick and wall of green Matamp clones.

Thirdly and Finally, I am so far impressed. I can get that high pitched squeal feedback heard on Orphan, Lighthing Bolt, Om, and others' tracks, something I've had trouble getting elsewhere. My luck with the Metal Zone has been limited, so this is a refreshing and less fizzy-sounding (to my damaged and now protected ears) change.

That's all for now. More later as time progressed.

2. +1 to all that.

This pedal is my main distortion, and it does a great job in my metal band. I usually play with the mids at 3 o'clock, bass cranked, treble at 1 o'clock and top boost off. To me the top boost is a bit too much, making a nice low D sound like a wall of grey noise.

but overall, a great pedal, my only grumble is that the breakup isn't very smooth, but this is a lot less noticable with the top boost off.

The feedback you get off this thing is awesome. :p

3. UPDATE:

After tweaking with the settings on this beast I've gotten something almost useable out of it, but then my bass to a trip downstairs in it's hard case (thank C'thulhu) and I had to get the neck re-adjusted, and thus haven't played yet today.

I'm thinking of making a feedback looper to use with the Metal Muff so I can pull off Goatsnake/SUNN O)))/Burning Witch-type stuff for my new band, Ganon. The feedbacker shouldn't be hard to do at all, as I have jacks and switches and a box lying around at this very moment. ;)

4. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP

Sep 26, 2008
    I just bought a Metal Muff after trying my guitar player's.

I'm using it with a Boss Line Selector, so I can blend some of my clean tone in too.
    Sounds ****ing amazing. I love the massive bass, and extremely raw punchy mids.

I had been using a Keeley RAT, which I still like.......but this takes it to a whole new level.

I get all of the note clarity I need and the raw intensity I've been searching for.

Only negative is the pedal is noisy. :(

5. maybe

maybe

Oct 19, 2008
    Clips? I can't seem to find any on bass.

6. I had one when they came out, the price is good and its got a lot of tonal variety in it, in fact both guitarists in my old band went out and bought them (one was mine)

it is a great sounding distortion IMO, but i just couldnt get the low punch i wanted out of it, so sold it on.

7. josbroek

josbroek

Jan 22, 2009
    belgium
    fuzz face ftw!!!