1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TI’s from Canada

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Jeff Bonny, May 10, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    TI JF344 long scale Jazz Flats cost $81.99 Canadian at Long & McQuade. That’s about $62.00US vs $84.29US for the same set at Juststrings.com. Gotta love when the Canadian dollar goes for a dump against the US dollar but the Canadian price doesn’t rise to match the difference, eh?

2. StevieMac

StevieMac

Mar 17, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
  3. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    Wow.

4. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Go amazon.
    Usd 38.xx JF344.

5. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    That’s Amazon UK and they won’t ship those strings to Canada. No proxy on my phone so I don’t know if they’ll ship to the US. Nice if you live somewhere that vendor does ship to I guess.
    Yes the fine print is important....

6. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Try Ebay, USD 60 free shipping from some seller from Japan.

7. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    If I can find a deal that’s simple and doesn’t require a lot of my time I’ll take it. But even if I pay $95 shipped and they last 10 years (like many others I’ve actually gotten more) it works out to less than $0.03 per day. TI Flats may be some of the most expensive strings to buy but they’re very inexpensive to actually use. Given that I couldn’t be bothered screwing around too much to save one or two cents a day over a decade.

And I really only deal with companies who’ve proven themselves trustworthy and honest. That’s a huge reason I called attention to Long & McQuade.

drumvsbass and mikewalker like this.
  8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Inactive

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    An alternative...

I recently bought a four string bass with Dunlop light gauge flats. Loved them so I strung up a five and they sound and feel great on that too. Less than $35 for a five string set delivered. The only other flats I've ever cared for are TI's.

I'm a longtime roundwound user. Now I use flats on around 50% of my gigs interchangeably with my other basses. They're that good.

qwench and Skillet like this.
  9. One of my major pet peeves is Canadian retailers raising their prices immediately when our dollar falls significantly against the US dollar. But they're slow as molasses to lower prices if our dollar rises significantly.

I get what you're saying about prices not matching the difference: Fender 7150 strings are ~ $18USD but $31 Cdn at Long & McQuade. That's more than a 72% difference in price.

10. interp

interp

Apr 14, 2005
    Garmisch, Germany
    Exactly. For years I’ve been extolling the principle of gauging value on “cost-per-use” rather than purchase price.

11. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

In all fairness, not everyone is in a position to afford to take the long view like you and I can. High cost of entry is a very real barrier to a lot of potential customers regardless of the long term benefits a product may bring.

I always get a kick out of the old sales tactic that goes: “But it’s only a hundred more than what you think you can afford!” Ignoring the arrogance on the part of the seller thinking they know better than the buyer what the buyer can responsibly afford, it misses a bit of economic reality. If you’re short the money the actual amount becomes irrelevant if the price isn’t negotiable. Ten dollars might as well be ten thousand dollars if you don’t have it. ;)

michael_t likes this.
  12. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Good point, but most folks can cough up the difference pretty quick. Sell something that’s gathering dust on CL or FB. One less pizza for a month or two. Lots of places where the difference can be squeezed from if what you want is really important.

13. howlin

howlin

Nov 15, 2008
    I'm Not There
  14. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    33 dollars shipping cost :eek:

Root 5, Jeff Bonny and edencab like this.
  15. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    But wait. You forgot to add $33.70 to ship them for a total of $72.20. Since they’re coming from Europe it will take twice as long to get them to the US and when they do arrive you’ll have to pay duty and whatever state and federal taxes apply....say another $10 just to keep the math simple. That brings the real cost to $82.75

Just Strings will have the same set to you in 2 days for $84.29 plus $6.75 shipping for a real cost $94.01

Ok so you save a whopping $11.26 buying from Thomann. What are you going to do when you have a warranty issue? Thomastik’s is not exactly leading the industry in quality control. The XL set of TI Jazz Rounds I put on last week had an A string that barely got one wrap on the post when I had to cut the E D and G strings. I haven’t gotten around to contacting Just Strings but after dealing with them for so many years I know they’ll take care of me.

I didn’t start this thread thinking anyone would be rushing to stock up on TI strings. I just thought it was interesting that after the exchange rate the regular 4string street price was $20-25 less in Canada. That kinda thing doesn’t happen very often.

Attached Files:

16. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Much as I like TIs and use them, I’ve kinda gotten away from thinking about them as future replacements because the cost to benefit ratio has decreased for me due to their steady upward price spiral. They’re excellent strings. No argument from me on that point. But they’re not the only excellent strings out there.

Back in the 60s and into the early 70s they were a several notches above most of what was available as far as quality and tone went. But that’s not the case anymore. And if truth be told, I can EQ certain other flat sets to get so near a match in sound that it’s sufficient for my requirements.

But that’s me. YMMV.

Root 5 likes this.
  17. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Inactive

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    The thing that killed me with TI was when I priced a six string set. The price gap between a 5 and 6 set was nuts, considering we're talking about adding high C.
    :D

Root 5 likes this.
  18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 17, 2021