1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TI Acousticore on Thunderchief Question ...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by RustyAxe, Sep 11, 2008.

1. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    I know, I know ... I'm getting to be PITA. But ... I don't see an answer in searching the forum. So here goes ...

I got a set of TI Acousticores, and know that they exert half the string tension of the OEM 45-100 roundwounds. For those who have changed to TI's, did you need a new setup to accomodate the lower tension? I just had this set up for the 45-100 PB's, and would wait until next week to install them if I know the TI's might buzz ... but then again, the smaller gauge might actually make the action too high ...

What say you guys who have been there, done that? TIA.

2. jibreel

jibreel

Apr 12, 2005
    Seattle
    I have three basses that I have gone back and forth with Acousticores and other TI and LaBella strings with higher tension. I also own a Thunderchief.

Most likely, you will only have to adjust the truss rod. Piezo saddle bridge basses can be a real pain to adjust. I have four of them.

Good luck

3. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    I use the Acousticores on my acoustic bass guitar. I set the action a little bit higher than I normally would. Because the Acousticores are a little bit "rubbery", they respond well to having a little extra room to vibrate. IMO.

Jeff Scott likes this.
  4. I have TI's on my Thunderchief and slightly loosened the the truss to accomodate. Love them.

5. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass

May 10, 2006
    @RustyAxe What did you discover? I'm considering a trial of these strings on a Taylor AB-1 acoustic bass guitar. Currently it has La Bella Black Nylon Tapewounds. Tone is fantastic. I have no experience with TI Acousticores and am wondering what they might bring...

6. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    Actually, at the time I continued using LaBella tapes, and sold the TI's to a friend (who never used them as far a I know).