TI Chromesteels?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by bill spangler, Mar 10, 2006.

1. bill spangler

bill spangler

Mar 4, 2001
    Albany GA
    "I have an old-new set of TI Precision Steel strings. They are Chrome-steel and have never been on a bass & are in pristine condition. They have black silk on both ends."

I'm not trying to crosspost (or crossdress for that matter) b/c I have these for sale, but I've never tried this string & I'm not planning to try them. Out of curiosity, does anyone have any insight about the characteristics of this string? If this question has already been asked, forgive me & please direct me to a relevent posting.
  2. They are basically TI's student string. They are a bright metalic sounding solid core string and are stiff feeling. Not a good choice unless one can't afford anything else IMO. They were TI's first step in the evolution of steel strings. You can use them for arco and pizz, although neither is great.
  3. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    It's very old technology.
    The first Thomastik steel string design. (and other manufacturers were also using that before the use of steel rope-core)
    They have a solid steel core, are quite rigid and the tone is very metallic.
    Spirocores on steroids!
  4. bill spangler

bill spangler

Mar 4, 2001
    Albany GA
    Thanks guys. I got them at Pied Piper's (in Huntington, WVa) 'going out of business' sale for a blow-out price. I have to go back to my ad & drop the price. I used to be a dyed-in-the-wool TI Spirocore fan & I went from there to D'Add's Hybrids, then Corelli's tungsten & my bass seems to really like the D'Add's Orchestra for pizz & arco.