1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

TI flat B, E, & A + D&G from ?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Thumper, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Thumper

Thumper

Mar 22, 2000
    Syracuse Ut
    I really like the TIs on my Zon 5/1 but don't like the skinny D & G due to the feel/pressure. Since TI doesn't offer other diameters I wonder if I could use other flats for those 2 strings. Do any other flats sound anywhere close?

I know someone will say just try it but all my other flats are cut for Fenders. Maybe some rounds?

2. lmfreeman9

lmfreeman9 Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2007
    Arizona
    LaBella DTF FL or FX gauge may sound similar.

3. Thumper

Thumper

Mar 22, 2000
    Syracuse Ut
    I wonder if even some light chromes would work. I know most people probably think this is a bad idea, and maybe it is. Still, I think the B, E, and A have more impact based upon how much more vibration there is in the bass itself when they are played.

Thanks for the suggestion.

4. braydensharrar

braydensharrar

Feb 21, 2009
    California
    Hate to say it because they're so expensive, but Pyramid Golds would probably be your best bet.

I've played just about every set of flats out there and I think the only string that tension wise that feels remotely similar to the TI's are the Pyramids. Not exactly the same (which you wouldn't want anyway, obviously), but I think they'd give you exactly what you're after.

PyramidGolds are my second favorite flat set ever, maybe even the first because the only set I've ever played that I like more was a set of 10 year old La Bella 760FL's that I stupidly sold. But I have a set of the Pyramids on standby for anytime I need the flats (I primarily play La Bella's 760RL set).

Good luck, I know you're pain as I've definitely been there with the TI's!

.B