TI Flat wound question

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bassgal, Oct 22, 2005.

1. bassgal

Jan 15, 2005
    I was going to buy a bass from an internet bass site one time and I wanted TI flats put on it. But they guy said it would take a speacial set up for those strings because they are "just a different breed" as he put it.

Is that true? I mean if I got close to the same gage LIke right now I have Elixers and they are .045-.105 and the TI are something to a .106 That would be almost the same gage of string right?

Why would it need a special set up?

I have always wanted to try those strings but the guy scared me off.

Thanks in advance
  2. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002

They are not that different from any other string. If the bass is properly set up for medium gauge or light gauge roundwounds there should be no real difference. You might want a small truss adjustment if the action was a little too low, but otherwise it is not an issue.
  3. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Just curious - what site.
  4. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    One thing to note is that for TI Flats, there is only one gauged set for each particular scale length. You don't get choices of gauges. TI did extensive research and came up with what they believe to be the ideal gauges for balance/sound. The TI Flats are considered by most to be lower tension than most other strings, and this probably why that guy made the comment. So, like fretlessrock said, a truss rod adjustment may be necessary if the strings that were on there before have a higher/lower tension. But this can apply for any change in string brands or gauges.

Are you playing a 32" scale bass? The .106 gauged TI Flat E string is on their 32" scale 4 string set. If you have a 34" scale bass you will want the JF344 set of TI Flats, which has gauges from .043 to .100.
  5. bassgal

Jan 15, 2005
    Thanks Zomby,

I just bought a Schecter C-4 34 scale. It has Elixers .045-.105 on it now. And the action is very low. I like it that way. I was thinking that the TI's that end in .106 would be the same gage almost? Or no?

Steve C It was a Bass I bought from Bass Northwest. The place was great, and nice bass. It was just that I wanted those strings on it and he talked me out of it. It was about 4 years ago.

6. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    The TI's with the .106 E string are for 32" scale basses, which will likely be too short for your 34" scale bass. I'd go with the 34" scale set (JF344).
  7. RHFusillo

RHFusillo Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    Switching to TI Flats is like any other string change that involves a change of gauge or tension. You will probably want to adjust the truss rod, the string height, and the intonation.
  8. doc540

Jul 28, 2003
    Beaumont, Texas
    Snag a set from the Dude over on the Pit.

Great strings that last fo'evah.
  9. dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
  10. bassgal

Jan 15, 2005
  11. +1

I'm still using my original set from Dude... almost 5 straight years now, and still sounds great.