TI flats advice

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Gordo350, Jul 10, 2020.

1. American performer PJ

80.0%
  2. Squire jazz

12.5%
  3. VM jazz

17.5%
  4. Ibanez musician mc924

2.5%
  5. Epiphone thunderbird

7.5%
  6. Hagstrom viking

7.5%
  7. Cort B4

5.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Gordo350

Gordo350

Sep 20, 2018
    I have ordered my first set of TI flats and don't know what bass to try them on. I play mostly classic rock and standard covers. Who wants to give me any pointers ?

nixdad likes this.
  2. jchrisk1

jchrisk1 Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Northern MI
    Honestly, they may not be the right match for all of your basses. I would start with the bass that requires the least amount of string trimming, and work your way down until you find one you like.
    I like them on my p/j. Really great strings, IMO.
    I liked them on my jazz bass as well.

nixdad and FRoss6788 like this.
  3. WillyWonka

WillyWonka Yes, I act just like this in person. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2019
    The same answer as all bass related questions...

Pbass

Robus, Vintagefiend, Chrisk-K and 3 others like this.
  4. uwrossl

uwrossl

Nov 13, 2009
    Huntington Beach
    Love this. This is the "Ron Swanson" of answers.
    000407_1308444.jpg

WillyWonka, TN WOODMAN and nixdad like this.
  5. FunkyYeti

FunkyYeti

Oct 10, 2019
    TIs on P, Pyramids on J

6. AboutSweetSue

AboutSweetSue

Sep 29, 2018
    There is absolutely zero way for anyone to know what you will prefer TI’s on. With that being said, I’d put them on the Thunderbird. I think the mids of the TI’s and the tone of the Thunderbird could get pretty unique, definitely peaks my curiosity.

Bassist30, pacojas and trothwell like this.
  7. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I just got my first set and put them on a Precision. Now I want to either put TI flats on all of my basses, or just start getting rid of some of them because they are the only strings I ever want to play.

Bassist30, Eikari, Troy Eggen and 5 others like this.
  8. I've got TI Flats on a P and a PJ and an ABG. Absolutely love them on all three. I keep wanting to try them on a Jazz Bass but so far I haven't.

TN WOODMAN and nixdad like this.
  9. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    I love 'em. I use TI's on both of my Rics and my Fender Starcaster (hollow body.)
    I'm in the process of add a Jazz Bass back to my collection, and will likely string it with TI's as well.

I suggest trying them on one of your Fender Basses. I'm pretty sure you'll love 'em, but if you don't, you'll likely have no problem reselling them.

Bravo!

Nice!

TN WOODMAN likes this.
  10. Tim Skaggs

Tim Skaggs

Sep 28, 2002
    Probably the PJ, but I have a few more basses than you have listed, and I tried them on almost all of them & didn’t like them on anything. I finally tried them on my Sigma Acoustic fretless & that’s where they have stayed The the last couple years. I play EB Cobalt flats on my Pbass.

nixdad likes this.
  11. jbhaugh

jbhaugh Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2018
    ABQ, NM, USA
    They sound good on everything. I’ve had them on a Rick, P-bass, PJ bass, Music Man Bongo, all good. Put them on the bass you like best, but keep your old strings. Switch back and put them on something else if you don’t like them on the #1. I will say they are not my favorite on basses with tall frets, if you have any of those (but that’s a feel issue, not sound).

nixdad and TN WOODMAN like this.
  12. I’ve got TIJFs on my Fretless Jazz, my number one bass. They sound and feel incredible on this bass. I’m going to get a set for Ibanez AEB5E acoustic at some point.

If I had your stable I would start with the P. Then I would buy sets for all of the others.

seang15, nixdad and TN WOODMAN like this.
  13. blastoff

blastoff

Sep 5, 2007
    way out west
    is the hagstrom a short scale? if so, youll need short scale TI flats for that bad boy. or the labella beatle bass flats are good too

nixdad and TN WOODMAN like this.
  14. jkazam

jkazam

May 25, 2007
    Can you put flats on a neck thru or too much tension?

15. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

There’s very little tension on TI flats no matter what you put them on. And yes, you can put them on a neck thru bass. But I wouldn’t advise stringing them through the body. Stick to top loading only.

jkazam likes this.
  16. trothwell

trothwell

Apr 9, 2008
    Why is that?

17. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Not all flats handle the break angle at the bridge with a string thru very well. Some flats can actually break because of it. So when it comes to flats, top loading is usually the safer option.

trothwell likes this.
  18. Gordo350

Gordo350

Sep 20, 2018
    It's a medium scale but I get away with long scale strings because of the tailpiece being set so far back

19. superiorpine

superiorpine Superiorpine Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2007
    Milwaukee WI
    Be mindful that TI JFs take a really long time to break in. You will definitely know when it happens because they will feel better and sound better. The point is, don't make a judgment right away, they need some time to mature. After that they last a really long time as well. Thats one of the reasons they are easily sold used here.

BassyFred likes this.
  20. Pretty much this.

I've been using TI JF's for well over 10 years now. I've had them on P-bass, P/J (maton) & Rick 4003. They sound great on all three, but they have that *sound in my head* on a P-bass. They'll last you forever.....

FWIW, I tend to tune down to C on some of my basses, and when it comes to flats, TI JF's are THE one to do it IME.
    But I don't tune them down, I tune the 5 banger set UP to C. It will increase the tension a little, but I find it's perfect for me as these have such low tension to start with.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021