Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

TI Flats= first impressions

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Monkey, Feb 14, 2003.

1. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I finally broke down and ordered a set of Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Flats for my semi-hollow 5-string fretless. I've heard so many great things about them here, but I was a little hesitant because of the lower tension that many people mentioned. I've had LaBella tapewounds on for ages, and liked them, but needed a change.

I was shocked by how tiny the G string looked. They were much more flexible than any set of flats I've used. They sound great! Very rich and full sound with a nice top end. I didn't notice the lower tension much at all.

I was especially impressed with that big B string. With the tapewounds I'd been using, I definitely had to modify my attack on the B, and I thought it was a characteristic of my home-built bass. The new B string sounds much better, and I don't have to lay off when I play it. It is much more consistent with the rest of the set.

So, I'm tickled pink with them so far. They are worth the extra money.

2. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    I'm glad to hear that. Although they are quite different, I just ordered some Jazz Rounds. I was concerned about the lighter tension everyone speaks of, but I'm going for it. They should be here next week. The rounds are offered in extremely light gauges. Something like... 43,58, 72... I can't remember. I hope I have a similar experience.

3. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I was concerned about the lower tension, too, but I really didn't notice it much, which surprised me. I'd be interested to know how the jazz rounds sound.

4. I have LaBella nylon tapewounds on one bass right now. I find the high tension tough to handle after the TI flats!

5. BigTed

BigTed

Jul 1, 2002
    San Diego
    I too just picked up some TI Flats from "The Dude" and I love them. They gave my J-Bass the thump that it lacked before. I did have to raise the action on my A & D strings a smidge due to the low tension. I'm glad I did raise them though, because suprisingly it feels a lot more natural to my playing style.

6. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I'm a big fan of TI Flats...on the right bass. They're quite wonderful on old Fenders and reissues, for instance, when you want a flatwound sound with more tone and range. And, of course, they work great on fretless basses as long as you're not going for that Jaco mwah. I also love the way they feel under the fingers and how you can setup such low action with 'em. All in all, truly great electric bass strings!

7. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    The TIs have an outrageous mwah quotient. I thought I would have to readjust my trussrod after having the LaBella tapes on for so long, but surprisingly after a week my neck is fine. Sorry to repeat myself, but I'm blown away by the B string. I'm so glad I took the chance on them.

8. my first impression was that they were warm and had good sustain..and that top end...!
    i was a JR344 user so the tension was quite acceptable
    i have yet to see how long they last
    but i have gotten used to the feel and will repace them....when they do finally die?
    :)

9. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Yes, but not a "Jaco Mwah." You gotta have rounds to really nail THAT particular tone.

10. Harpo

Harpo

Feb 1, 2001
    Kings Park NY
    How would they be on a L-2000

11. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    Harpo, I haven't played a L-2000, but I bet they would sound killer. My bass has two big passive humbuckers, and it sounds killer with TI's.

12. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Can anyone post clips of their fretless bass with flats? I'd like to try some on my fretless but not really sure if I would like the sound...I have absolutely no experience with flats on a fretless. Just curious what it might sound like.

Post 700! :D

13. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    IME you can do a pretty decent job of it with half rounds.

14. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    True, you can get close. I used to use GHS Pressurewounds on my Jaco Signature fretless and it would get me close. But still not quite that last measure of "bite" that rounds will give you!

15. How would they be on a L-2000

I liked the sound of them when I had a set on my L2K, but I went back to powerbass after not too long, mainly for one big reason. The tone I was getting was great. Very warm rich and full. However, the flats seemed to minimize the differences between the different pickup settings. One of the L2K's big advantages is the variety of quickly accesable tones, and with the flats it seemed more like variations on a dominant theme than truly different tones. I use two very different basic tones (bridge/series/passive/treble full bass cut by 1/3 and neck/parallel/active/treble and bass cut by 1/2) and the difference was much less extreme with the flats.
    Again, the basic tone was great, but it pretty much dominated all the tones, not as much of a chameleon bass as before. Now that I have two L2Ks, I may just put the TI flats on one of them, but I wouldn't use them on my only L2K.