1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

TI Flats for 6 String Tuned E-E?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Aka Nameless, Dec 9, 2006.

1. Aka Nameless

Aka Nameless

Oct 24, 2006
    Hello everyone, i'm looking at picking up some TI Flats, but I tune my 6 string fretless E flat to E flat (I'm mainly a guitar player..), Will I have problems tension wise? Most 6 string sets seem to be designed for balanced tension when tuned B-C. So I imagine that Tuning all the strings higher will make the balance of the tension out of wack, and probably even break a couple of the strings from too much tension. Any way around this? I really want to try TI FLats..

Thanks for any responses.

2. Your best bet would be to use the EADGC from a 6-string set of the TI flats, and then find something else for the high E. Since you wouldn't be able to tune the full 6-string set up the 5-steps without them breaking.

Finding the high E though...I dunno. I think TI makes some flatwound guitar strings. I don't know how it would compare tonally, but you could try using a guitar's G-string, tuned down to E. Longer scale of the bass = higher tension (if it were tuned to a guitar's open D), so tuning down a few steps should be okay tension-wise I would think.

Or try and find a flatwound F-string for bass. I know there are some...

3. The high C on the TI JF346 set is 0.033, and is the smallest JF string that they make, so you would be on your own for a high E.. The good news is that that string might be plain steel and not wrapped, since you might be looking at a 0.028 or something. I wouldn't sweat the halfstep detuning to Eb. The tension will be lower but it shouldn't be a problem. Tuning a BEADGC set up to Eb will result in broken strings and/or a broken bass. Not the way to go.

FWIW, I play a 5, also fretless, tuned EADGC, and that high C is a 0.027 roundwound nickel string offerend by Zon. I buy singles to fill out a light gauge 4 set. The whole set runs: 095, 075, 055, 035, 027. That set is pretty darn light, and since you are looking at Eb tuning you could bump up to a 0.100 set (or heavier) and be looking at something like 100, 80, 60, 50, 35, 25. They aren't TI Flats, but check out Zon at http://www.zonguitars.com/ and click through the Shop Zon, then Shop Online. Their nickel strings are excellent and they offer everything in singles. You could also buy a stock 4 string set and then fill out the high strings from the singles. I think the smallest they make is a 0.025. Might just do the trick. Also check out their piccolo sets. The highest strings are plain steel, but they run down to 0.018!!!

I use a LOT of TI strings, but honestly TI is not great for "out of the box" tunings. They only offer one gauge for each type/scale set, so you can't cherrypick between part of a medium gauge set and part of an extra light set.