TI Flats intonation question

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by megiddo, Jul 31, 2004.

1. megiddo

Apr 5, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    I'm in the process of upgrading my MIM Fender Jazz. I've bought a BadAss II bridge and some DiMarzio DP123 pups. I'm going to have Kevin at Great Southern Guitar in Houston install them. (I also need to find out if I can get an after-market S1 switch - but that's another thread.)

I'd like to try a set of TI Flats because I want some thump to my tone and I don't like string noise. When I told the gu*tar player in the band I'm in that I wanted to try some flatwounds for a change he said that I would hate them.

My question is, if when I have everything installed, if I don't like the tone / feel, can I easily change back to my current favorite strings (B52's)? Would the intonation between those kinds of strings be way off? And if the tech files my bridge to accommodate the TI Flats would that cause trouble with the B52's?

Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

Oh, and any idea of what kind of TI Flats I should try? I'm thinking the Jazz Flats.
  2. TI Jazz Flats JF344 if it is a long scale bass. Note: these strings use a .100 for the low E but do not let this fool you...these strings have a huge thump and low end.

Anytime you change strings to a different brand they will be off to some degree.
    I found changing from TI flats to GHS Infinity Steels to be quite off in intonation.

As far as the question of filing frets causing problems with B52's, No, I do not think so. The TI's are lower in tension and tend to vibrate more, thus possibly needing some attention to frets or neck adjustment.

The TI flats play like butter with no finger sliding sound at all. They have a good thump to them. The only thing some do not like is they are a little floppy on the Low E especially.

Being a Guitar player I understand your guitarists statement. The TI Jazz Flats are so easy to play and no string noise by sliding fingers that it tends to ruin your technic if you switch back to guitar. For a Bass player who is only a bass player...I think the benefits of using them far out way the any negatives. Your fingers will love them and you will be able to do some things easily.
    I personally like the DR Low Rider but it is a compressed round wound and even though there is not as much finger sound it is present if not careful.

You will find the TI Flats to be the easiest string you have probably ever used.
  3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    The comments about TI flats ruining your technique are hooey. I play my fretless almost exclusively between my two basses, and it has TI Flats. I've also been playing guitar quite avidly for a few weeks, and if anything, my technique has improved.

I think your guitarist's comments about you not liking them are based on the sound. He's probably never heard TI flats before -- there's a world of difference between TI Flats and any other kind of flats. They're absolutely and entirely a unique kind of string. Yeah, they've got the thump, but they're...well, you'll have to listen to them to understand. They're easily the best flats I've ever heard, and then tension on them is WAY better than on the other flats I've played on (I had a set of Ernie Ball Group III flats on my bass for five months, and I played a friend's bass with D'addario Chromes for a couple hours a week or two ago). Have a ball with them, I know I did.
  4. megiddo, you might have some problems with the slots that are filed for the BadASS II Bridge, these slots do not come pre- filed in the saddles on the Bad Ass II and may need to be reslotted for a heavier or lighter gauge string if you decide to change once your tech does the work, I forsee no problems but be aware they can happen!

Let your tech know how you feel and he can advise you on this.

5. ''The comments about TI flats ruining your technique are hooey"

You are probably a more disiplined player than I am. The TI flats allow you to slide up and down the fingerboard without finger noise. After a time I begin to slide rather than lift the fingers..then when I get on the guitar same thing happens but with finger noise because I use round wounds on the guitar and not flats.