1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TI Flats...Meh...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by BaileyMan, Feb 5, 2016.

Tags:
  1. BaileyMan

BaileyMan Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2012
    San Francisco
    I know lots of people love their TI Flats (That's Tomastik-Infeld, for those not in the know). I'm probably stirring up a big hornet's nest, by saying this, but these strings totally did nothing for me. They're a lighter gauge than I usually play, which was my intention when purchasing them, and felt ok under my fingers. Not amazing, but not worse than any other string I've played. The tone just wasn't there for me though. Not thick and full enough for me. They left me wanting a fuller bottom end, particularly on the E and A strings. I just couldn't get get the notes on the E string to stand up and declare their presence... So after one rehearsal, off they came... Maybe they'll be a better fit on a different bass. I'm playing a P-Bass with 62 reissue pickups...I like the DR Flatwounds much better on there.

Camaro likes this.
  2. alltomorrowsparties

alltomorrowsparties

Oct 18, 2014
    Sorry bout your experience. Sucks cause they're so pricey. I've never tried them but I've decided I'm not interested cause of the lighter string tension, and I like the higher tension of flats compared to rounds, it's part of the reason I play them.

3. twinjet

twinjet Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Were they too bright? Or just meh all-around? I was looking to buy a set.

4. Hmmm.......OK.

I think they sound huge on my P. I was playin a bunch of 70s funk earlier (because E,W & F) and they fit the bill.

5. Pier_

Pier_

Dec 22, 2013
    Roma, Italia
    You should wait for them to break in! Brand new they are too bright and metallic, compared to other flats.
    Have you setted the pickup height? Its necessary with the changing in gauge.

singlemalt, pacojas and Klonk like this.
  6. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    I think a FRESH set of 9050L or Sadowsky BL 40-100 could serve you well ~~~

7. Klonk

Klonk

Apr 28, 2011
    Norway
    How long did you have them on before you went to that band practice? They don't sound "themselves" until after a few months, like Pier_ said.

That being said, a fresh set of Sadowsky BL flats is never wrong!

SasquatchDude likes this.
  8. There are plenty of posts around here describing the TI flats as being "mid-focused with less bottom". Too bad you had to find that out yourself the hard way.

La Bella 760FL or Sadowsky Black Label Flats would be better options for "a fuller bottom end, particularly on the E and A strings".

9. campbems

campbems Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    4 or 5 string? If they are 5 I will buy them off you if the price is right.

10. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    I've tried them on a few basses (3 different sets) (haven't given them full breakin yet, tho) and the B has plenty Bottom, but the E seems neutered comparatively- doesn't fit between the B and A.
    Even on active basses, couldn't get the bottom out of the E. Maybe just needs time, tho.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  11. trothwell

trothwell

Apr 9, 2008
    I currently have them on a 62-reissue Precision bass. I both like them and understand the disappointment. They do lack bottom end richness. I've used DR flats on this bass as well, and agree they do sound superior in some respects. I came back to the TI flats after a while though, because I felt they sounded overall better, clearer, more well intonated (though that could have just been my imagination).

I would like to have two identical Precision basses, one with TI flats and one with ... something else, maybe DR, maybe Labella. :)

12. twinjet

twinjet Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    I just bought a set of 760FLs off a fellow TBer. Can't wait to put em on!

13. I would say that you should probably give them more than one rehearsal to figure them out. Thats certainly not enough time to be giving a review on them. However I might agree with you on the E string. But I've never been crazy about the E string on my Guild Starfire, so who knows. I played TI's on it for a year and a half. I'm now trying out Pyramids, which are quite different.

14. hotbass57*123

hotbass57*123

Jan 8, 2015
    Ohio
    I have them on my Lakland Skyline 4401 and Ibanez SR530 both with Barts MK1 pu's. I play the Ibanez at church thru an old Peavey tx 2x10 4 ohm cab with an SWR 350 (red face) head. I had to turn the bottom down it was so full. But these both are used sets I picked up here. I wouldn't give up, they may need alot more time.

15. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    Yeah, any brand of flatwounds take a while to break in; some take quite a while - even for flats. IIRC, TIs are one of them. If yours are new, you should probably play the snot out of them for a couple of weeks (if it's feasible), then re-assess. But, if you're pretty certain they are broken in, and they're just "Meh" - well, then they are, I guess. No string is the right one for everybody...:)

16. tzohn

tzohn

Apr 26, 2015
    My ECB81 flats took about 2-3 months to start sounding like proper flats. I even thought that there was some problem with the tone knob...

17. EdwardofHuncote

EdwardofHuncote I Still Dream of Jeannie Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Southwest Virginia
    More for me!!! :hyper: :laugh:

They ain't everybody's thing, that's for sure, and I get that. After all, you gotta' play what works for you. :thumbsup:

18. Relsom

Relsom Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2013
    The Old Dominion
    I have them on my MIJ 62RI P- Bass with Fralins. I love the sound and feel. I think they sound better with age.....I've had them on for years. Seriously, same set for 6 or 7 years and couldn't be happier.

19. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    If you want smooth feel and bottom end i have a set of labella fs flats nice and broken in for sale in classifieds.
    Just sayin

20. vmabus

vmabus

Nov 1, 2013
    7200'
    I tried a set; the GHS Precision Flats are MUCH better!

Camaro and fretlessguy like this.