1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TI flats, string through body or bridge?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Thumper, Feb 13, 2015.

1. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Syracuse Ut
    I'm going to string my P5 with TI flats. P5s can be strung either way, but I don't have any experience with TIs strung through body. Had them on a Sukop and now on a Zon 5/1, neither with the body through option.

I worry that the severe break angle could damage the outer wrap. Should I be concerned or does it not matter?

Does stringing through body change the feel of the string in any way? This is the first bass Ive ever had that offers this option, so I have no knowledge base.

2. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Canada
    I have had success using them top load and string thru. If you are concerned just go top load.

3. Thumper

Mar 22, 2000
    Syracuse Ut
    I was hoping through body would tighten up the feel, even if just minimally, but for all I know its just urban legend.

4. tjh

tjh

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    I have had basses that were STB only and used TI's on them ... noticed no difference from being top loaded ...

.. these days I have come to the conclusion that due to the extended life of flatwound strings, they may very well end up on another bass in their lifetime, and that one may be top load only ... so I top load them all, as not to have witness point bend from where they were STB in my playing area ...

I buy used flats too, that is why I always ask if they have been STB or top loaded .. ;)

Klonk likes this.
  5. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Been playing TI flats string thru for decades. Never had a problem. Whether there's a sonic or tension difference will be debated till the end of days. I just know it's always given me the best tone.
    P1250057.jpg

Gyver, BlazinJzZz and Hoodywah like this.
  6. Thumper

Mar 22, 2000
    Syracuse Ut
    Beautiful bass, wish I hadn't seen it, I WAS relatively gas free, what is it? Tjh, you make a compelling case for top loading, I have no lack of Ps these could go on :) If they go on a P4, I do believe I'd have to get another G, quite a bit of difference in the length of the Gs between P4s and P5s.

Hoodywah likes this.
  7. 2saddleslab

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Thanks, it's a custom body on a Warmoth neck, originally made in '92 but recently modified w/ a TV Jones Thunderblade and Inca Silver finish my MJT.

8. Volkov

Volkov

Oct 20, 2014
    UK/RU
    I do them same, even if they're going back on the same bass it's much easier to reinstall on a top load bridge.

9. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's

I have never found a difference in sound or feel from top load to through-body. The tension is determined by the bridge to nut distance which is the same in any case.

I I do know that in general, flats don't like to bend that much, but the TIs are a little more flexible. It would still make me nervous, flats being wound they way they are. Note that the saddles are quite large in the photo above for a generous bend radius.

Bear in mind that you may need to get the next longer set of strings to accommodate the through-body, and once you do this you can't used them for top loading on another bass.

FRoss6788 and Coolhandjjl like this.
  10. Exactly the reasons why I wouldn't put flats thru body.

11. Thumper

Mar 22, 2000
    Syracuse Ut
    Cool, you all confirmed my thoughts on this issue, thanks for helping me decide. Stringing her up today so the neck can settle in over nite.

12. 2saddleslab

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    No reason to worry, boys. I've done decades of testing for you using LaBella, Pyramid, Fender, GHS, and TI flats. All strung thru and NEVER had a problem with them. That includes removing and reinstalling on other basses. If you prefer top load for whatever reason, fine. But don't let misinformation sway you in the wrong direction for no reason.

13. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    TI Flats like a well defined break angle and precise nut slots. Given that, leave lots of string lenth to get the most wraps on the tunning peg, thereby forcing the string down to the lowest portion of the peg before it widens out. Set your witness points with authority. Do not give the strings that pull-up when tuned to take the slack out. That may damage the silk wraps.

I have them on my Ric, which is known to have one of the more shallow break angles at the bridge. They work fine. Don;t over think it.

14. Thumper

Mar 22, 2000
    Syracuse Ut
    Given the latest, Ive got 2 sets, including a SL (lengths up to 47") so will let the red silk/nut relationship guide my decision.

15. Since flats will usually last longer than most basses will stay in my possession, so I tend to string flats top only. That way, when I want to put them on a bass that does not string through-body, I don't fight 'the kink.

16. All well and good but did you do it with a 5 string set? Might be an issue with a B string.

17. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    How do you get along with the bridge?
    I really like the idea of putting one of these on my P but am unsure about intonation...

18. EdwardofHuncote

EdwardofHuncote I Still Dream of Jeannie Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Southwest Virginia
    I use them on all my basses, and love 'em.

For whatever reason, on TI Jazz Flats (the 345 set) the silks are wound further on the E & B strings, which might be an issue on a 4 + 1 headstock. I had a 34" scale Godin SD-5 like that, and had to string the E & B from the rear load option in order to keep the silks above the nut, but I strung thru body on the A, D, & G. FWIW, I couldn't tell any difference soundwise.

Also consider, the B in that set is a big honkin' .136, with silk winding at the ball end too... might not fit easily through a Fender bridge. I remember it was a tight squeeze on the Godin.

19. Liam Wald

Liam Wald Supporting Member

May 17, 2011
    California Coast
    I am curious too. Although I have never owned this type of bridge (where two strings share the same saddle) I have never owned a bass that when the intonation was set correctly any two saddles were in the exact same place.

20. 2saddleslab

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Good point. I did use 115/ 55 heavy gauge GHS flats for a short time. The bridge handled those fine, unlike my fingers.

I have 4 of these custom bridges my dad made, chrome plated solid brass. Intonation has never been a problem. I've occasionally had to nudge a saddle to one side or the other a touch to help. The witness point on each saddle might look the same but the diameter of the string and where it rests on the channel determines where that point is. Certainly doesn't allow for super fine adjustment but has always worked fine for me the last 29 years.
    My latest string thru mod.
    P1260504_zpsae215c1e.jpg
    P1260492_zpsb110d6bf.jpg

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
    kirillio and Mastermold like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 7, 2021