1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TI Flats - test question

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by dannylectro, Aug 4, 2020.

1. dannylectro

dannylectro

Aug 2, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Okay, so... I read so much about TI Flats here on TB and have wanted to try some out for a few years. Like many, I’m put off by the price so I don’t want to go through a lot of sets trying to see what works for me.
    My question for the forum is this: which bass, Fender J or Fender P, should I try them on and what gauge set should I start with. Both Fenders are currently strung with Chromes .045-.100

Go!

EatS1stBassist and nixdad like this.
  2. They only come in one set of gauges, 43-100. ;)

3. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    Apparently, the OP has forgotten everything he's read about TI JFs. :laugh:

4. Franzenstein

Franzenstein

Jun 3, 2020
    I prefer them on the P.
    Pino Palladino with the John Mayer Trio is the best example for the possible sound.

Don't worry about the price. I have my TI 8years on the bass and they are still working fine.

5. bwildt

bwildt

Mar 21, 2017
    Wichita, Kansas
    So it appears that you are already using flats on both, so no need to try to convert you to flats. :) I would suggest trying them on the Jazz first. I have TI's on both models. I was really pleasantly surprised with TI's on the Jazz. I think they really brought out the burpy Jazz sound. If one bass is going to continue with the Chromes, I would keep them on the P-bass.

6. uwrossl

uwrossl

Nov 13, 2009
    Huntington Beach
    I agree with this. I definitely dig TI's on a P but they were the first flat that I put on my J that really made it come to life. Something about the way the TI mids fit in the pocket of a J's inherent tonal character.

Loring, scottm, Jeff Scott and 2 others like this.
  7. dannylectro

dannylectro

Aug 2, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Ha! So we’re 2-1 J v P.

further details:
    The P is a ‘75 but with almost no original hardware. It now has a Fralin P/U and CTS/Emerson electronics (it was already modded to active EMGs when I got it back in 1984ish). I changed it back to a passive bass About 10 years ago.
    The J is a completely stock roughly 2014 American Pro model.

nixdad likes this.
  8. Inara

Inara Fierce Fun Fretless Female Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2017
    Seattle, WA USA
    EDIT: see @FranF post below ... I didn't realize that this "deal" then charges $21 shipping.

One tip if you don't already know this: they show up on Amazon as an "accordion accessory" for around $50, which is way cheaper than anywhere else I've seen them. Also, if you hate them, someone here will buy them from you used, so you'd at least be able to get part of your money back.

They're my favorite flats by far. They're almost polar opposite of Chromes ... Very flexible, which I love but some don't.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
  9. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

can't qualify an opinion for you, OP --- i have a set, but i haven't installed them yet. i'm assembling a second lightweight P-bass (i'm not a pushover for P-basses), but it's going to be a red one, so: i don't want to put TI jazz rounds on a second P. when i get the thing assembled i'll try the TI jazz flats (i'm not a fan of flats either :laugh: ) on the new ax. i'll let you know what my opinion is, and whether or not i think they conform to the wild, enthusiastic, over-the-top praise and devotion they get from careless, impulsive, but apparently satisfied players who post on TB. :D

the only reason i'm willing to try them is this:
    0000.jpg
    OP, i think you should try them. first. :) good luck with your resistance. :thumbsup:

looks are for kids. i hate flats. P-basses are limited. the pairing is expected, maybe even boring. looks like i'm all in! :laugh:

Loring, nixdad and Inara like this.
  10. bigswifty1

bigswifty1

Dec 8, 2011
    I've had TIJF's on a wide variety of basses over the years. They tend to do their thing, and IMO that thing works best on a P.

As for the never-ending complaints about the price, I'll just say this. The RRP seems rough, but considering how long these things last, they must be about the most economical strings on the market. They may outlast the bass. Or you.

Gravedigger Dav, JRA, Loring and 4 others like this.
  11. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    Noooo. It's $54 PLUS $21 shipping. Comes out a few dollars more than normal, actually...

12. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    @bwildt's post made me think. I've never before considered flats on a J. I have TI Flats on 3 Ps, but both my Js have rounds, DR Pure Blues to be precise. I've been considering putting a set on my G&L SB-2, but haven't done it yet. I keep eye open for a deal on the TIs. I got 2 sets on Amazon for about $35 US each.
    So now I need 2 more sets.

13. Inara

Inara Fierce Fun Fretless Female Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2017
    Seattle, WA USA
    Oh wow, thanks for posting that! I didn't realize they were doing that!

Edited my post to show that info.

FranF and dannylectro like this.
  14. dannylectro

dannylectro

Aug 2, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Point taken... though the Chromes on another of my basses are around 10 years old, so I get pretty great life out of them, too

15. dannylectro

dannylectro

Aug 2, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Okay - here’s where I think I’m heading. I’ve actually got two Jazz basses, one with Chromes, and an active one with some kind of half rounds on it. The Precision is my oldest bass and wears the Chromes predictably well. I’m gonna spring for the TI Jazz Flats and put them on the passive Jazz. If I don’t like them, I’ll try on the Precision. If I still don’t like, look for a slightly used set here in the Classifieds.
    As always, I appreciate the time and thought people here put into their responses, the actual useful information, and the humor & camaraderie.

JRA, Loring, colicchio and 5 others like this.
  16. bassplace

bassplace Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Annapolis, MD
    TI flats make a Jazz bass come alive.

But it really depends on the type of music you want to use it for. I've had them on my Rick and loved them but went back to rounds for more growl. It depends what you're going for. I tend to switch to different bass/string combinations depending on the band and project.

17. tb-player

tb-player the bass player Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2019
    I went from Chromes to TI. Never looking back. 1000% improvement. I put them on my Bluesman Vintage.

+1 for the P

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
    staurosjohn and dannylectro like this.
  18. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

TI flats sound great on a PB.

They sound incredible on a Jazz.

:)

bassplace, JRA, Loring and 7 others like this.
  19. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    I have TI's on both of my Rics and a Fender Starcaster semi-hollowbody. Two of my basses have had them since 2014.

I just picked up a Fender Jazz, and plan to restring with TI's as well.

Welcome to the club!

JRA, Loring, staurosjohn and 2 others like this.
  20. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    FWIW, I got mine from the TalkBass store.
    Very happy with the whole transaction.

Loring, staurosjohn, FranF and 2 others like this.