1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TI flats with string-thru or XL bass?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by mellowgerman, Mar 15, 2008.

1. mellowgerman

mellowgerman

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    sorry about the confusing title but i didnt wanna turn anyone off who might be able to help me.
    With that said, I have an ibanez artcore semi hollow which requires XL strings. I know string-thru fenders also require a longer string.
    I'm wondering if anybody has put TI long scales on a string through or XL scale bass and if it worked out okay. please help me out here thanks:bassist:

2. mellowgerman

mellowgerman

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    k so nobody has ever tried putting TI flats on a string-thru fender? i find that hard to believe! haha
    come on guys

3. billbern

billbern

Sep 11, 2004
    Daytona Beach, Fl
    Endorsing: Inearz In-ear Monitors
    Not on a Fender for me.
    I have used the JF365 thru the body on both a 55-01 and Peavey Millennium 5+ with great results. A friend of mine uses TI Flats thru the body on a Fender '51 Reissue, I think he uses regular length JF344.
    Bill

4. mellowgerman

mellowgerman

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    thanks bill!

5. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I have the Artcore bass that I have strung with Thomastic JF 344 strings. The E string comes up just about 3/8" short because of the tailpiece and although the string is long enough the silk winding winds up in the nut slot on that string. Rather than special order the 36" scale Thomastics, I used a razor blade to peel back a bit of the silk winding. It works fine, there is no degradation of sound. They sound great on the Artcore. I have them on my Fender P but it uses a standard top load bridge. Also have them on a Carvin Bolt which is string through and they fit fine on it.

I have heard they also will fit a string through Fender.

6. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    I tried Thomastic JF 344 strings through body in my Fender P. The E string seems to be not long enough since the silk winding winds up in the nut slot , so I just moved the strings to the bridge,

7. redstrand

redstrand

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    I have the 36" Thomastik's on my string thru Sting bass.
    Very expensive...but worth every penny. They have less tension and a better thump than Chromes.

8. mellowgerman

mellowgerman

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    I heard casady and lesh used to do the razor blade thing with pyramid golds on their starfires back in the day. i'll give it a try thanks

9. I had the JF344 on my p-bass a while, string-through body, they were as any other strings, no silk over the nut, they were long enough.

10. I had TIs on a Lakland JO4, strung through. Never had a problem, but I was told that flats can split over the bridge saddles if the break angle is too great. So obviously with through body stringing the break angle is greater than with regular bridge strung basses.

Like I say, the strings never broke in my case, and the TIs on the JO4 were fantastic, great tone, great feel.