1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

TI Flats?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by The Ballzz, Jun 23, 2017.

Tags:
  1. The Ballzz

The Ballzz

Nov 6, 2016
    Hey Folks,
    Please help out a newly "de-flowered" bassist. I've seen the regular mentioning of "TI flats" strings and while I get the "flats" part as being flat wound, I've not found a reference to clarify the "TI" part. Also, what are the perceived benefits of flat wound strings, vs round wound, other than the tonal difference and being gentler on fingertips?
    Please Inform The Uninformed?
    Gene

nixdad likes this.
  2. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

One person on TB, and elsewhere, thinks TI stands for titanium :rollno: (titanium would be abbreviated as Ti). TI stands for Thomastik-Infeld, the manufacturer of Jazz Flats, and other great strings.

3. The Ballzz

The Ballzz

Nov 6, 2016
    Thank You So Much Mr. Scott! Holy crap, them be some pricey strings! :eek:
    Gene

eJake, Element Zero and FenderB like this.
  4. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    They last forever. Nothing sounds like them!

5. Not unusual to get 10+ years from a set of TI flats, so I'd say they are a great bargain. :)

6. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    One of my Jazz's is currently wearing a set that I put on circa 1998-1999. They'll probably still be there in another 20 years.

7. The Ballzz

The Ballzz

Nov 6, 2016
    Thanks For The Replies Folks!
    I smell what you're all steppin' in! I am, however, still wondering about the overall benefits of flat-wound in general over round-wound? From the old days, I always kind of assumed that flat-wounds made the tone more "dull" or "less bright", with less sustain, kinda like the difference between a fretted and fretless and taking away clarity.
    Please Clue Me In!
    Gene

btmpancake and e-flat like this.
  8. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Halethorpe, MD
    Nuttin' to clue in; sounds like you got it to me. I don't like the word dull though. Less harmonics is more accurate.

9. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    When I was first buying them many years ago a 4-string set cost $90.

nixdad and Pbassmanca like this.
  10. Jeff Scott

Here are some other takes on TI Jazz Flats. 2003 Fender AV '62 Jazz Bass through the preamp of an Ampeg PB250 to a Korg D1600 Mk II. These are snippets of jams we'd do to come up with material.

11. Jeff Scott

As they said................ :thumbsup:

nixdad and Pbassmanca like this.
  12. DavC

DavC Supporting Member

May 17, 2005
    Trinity, FL
    i got my last set of Ti flats from Amazon ... $50 shipped w/Prime ...

i've never worn them out ... i just end up selling or trading that bass ...

the Ti are very low tension ( probably the lowest ) ... some folks don't like that ( I DO ) ...

most of my basses wear GHS Pressurewounds ... a kind of 'middle of the road' string for feel /sound ..
    they are Roundwounds , but the outer wrap is wrapped under enough pressure to cause it to have an Oval shape ..!! smoother than regular wounds , less string, fret , finger noise ... they are my favorite all around string ... Ti's are my choice for Flats ( sound & feel )

sometimes Pressurewound strings might be called RollerWound ... same process , ... i use those types of strings on my guitars also ..!

joebar and Clutchcargo like this.
  13. The Ballzz

The Ballzz

Nov 6, 2016
    Jeff Scott,
    Well sir, there is certainly no lack of tone, or skills, in those recordings! My hat goes off to you (as I slink off into the corner, mumbling and pondering my lack of skills)! I really love the way the bass sits in and properly occupies it's own spot in the mix. Fantastic! Can I assume that to achieve that kind of stuff live, requires a boat load of power? As a life long sound engineer, I'm painfully aware that there is no substitute for excessively massive numbers of watts! ;) :thumbsup:
    Thanx 4 Sharon!
    Gene

nixdad and punchdrunk like this.
  14. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Halethorpe, MD
    SPL

15. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    Welcome to flatwould strings! You can find used one here sometimes. TI is at the top of the heap. I've never had a set, but am sure they are awesome purely based on everything you read here. I have some deep talkin' flats on my BEAD 4-string. They can be be had for less that TIs. They're 3 years old and just keep sounding better.

I have Dunlop flats on my 5-String. They're great too, but different.

If you've looked into flats, you probably know that they were first before there were round would strings. I've been playing flats for 5 years and have no plans to go back.

Hope this helps!!

nixdad likes this.
  16. jayridge

jayridge

Jun 26, 2006
    Same set of TI flats on a Pedulla buzz for 11+ years. I clean with GHS fast fret ( mineral oil ) about once a year. There is another set in the case when a string finally breaks. Way less than I used to pay per year for rounds. The guitar jazz flats are also amazing - the 11s bend like 10s.

nixdad, Element Zero and Pbassmanca like this.
  17. Supposedly TI "jazz rounds" are also super cool but I really can't say because I've never tried them myself. I might take a huge risk soon and put a set on my fretless 5. :cool:

nixdad and Element Zero like this.
  18. MVE

MVE

Aug 8, 2010
    If you like thump try flats.
    If you like to slap tap and sparkle, stick to rounds.
    Or, follow the commonly accepted TB practice of having separate basses for flats and rounds. :) (You really need fretted and fretless too, and a P AND a J,..... and a Stringray and a Rick.)
    TIs are the only flats I've used and I have them on both my fretless Hayman and Fretted GL LB100. I really like them and they sound great.

19. The Ballzz

The Ballzz

Nov 6, 2016
    You folks here are a riot! Just like folks on guitar forums, but with different sets of priorities, etc! FWIW, I won't likely become a truly active bassist at age 62, but have merely acquired a fairly nice bass for song writing, recording those songs and keeping my fingers conditioned and exercised during occasional periods of not gigging as a guitarist. I find that one hour of bass playing gives my fingers and callouses as much of a workout as three hours of playing guitar!

I work really hard at NOT sounding like a guitarist who just happened to pick up a bass! Instead, I try to write and play parts that sound like what I would want a bassist to play while I'm playing guitar.

In response to MVE, and though it's aimed at guitar, it still seems pretty valid around here. It's Einstein's relative theory on guitars:

einstein_on_guitars.

Oh yeah, and there's a great bunch of folks around here!

Thanks,
    Gene

20. jmon

jmon Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2002
    Jax Fl.
    I have a set of TIs on 2015 P-Bass. Sticker shock was def there but after 6 months they are fully broken in and sound great. I can still here my wife seeing them in the Amazon order list and saying 65 dollar strings??!!?? But totally worth it. I would normally change strings every 3 months so they have paid for themselves and will continue for many years.

I'm wondering how they would sound on my Stingray. However that seems counter productive sort of since Stingrays are traditionally meant for that top end pop. Anybody try it?