1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ti flats?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by rbrown13, Mar 26, 2006.

1. rbrown13

rbrown13 supporting member

Sep 9, 2005
    bakersfield ca,
    anyone have any feedback on the enfeld flat wound 5 string, I was wanting to try some on my sr5, any info would be helpful, thanks.

2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

I'm a roundwound guy, but bought a set of TI flats a couple years ago and love 'em. I typically use 'em when I'm playing country or blues, rather than hard rock. But I must say that they sound pretty cool for rock... and while I prefer the tone of slapped rounds, the TI's sounded surprisingly good when slapped!

Again, I'm a roundwound guy. From what I've read quite a few hardcore flatwound users don't care for TI flats, not even after they're broken in.

P.S. The TI flats are very low tension. You may have to adjust your trussrod after installing 'em... and you'll likely have to adjust your technique. Wasn't a big deal for me to get used to 'em, though.

3. I put them on my Spector Legend Fretless 6 as an alternative to the ever eroding roundwounds, because i still desired brightness and decent mids. They are the perfect fit for me and have quite an even response.

Try them out!

4. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I just pulled TI flats off my fretless J because I couldn't stomach the low tension any longer. They feel lower than most rounds to me. Never tried a TI flat B, but I would be suspect of any B string with that low of tension.

5. What scale is your Spector? A friend of mine just gave me some TI flats for my Fender Jazz as a gift and I love them!!!
    I was thinking they'd be great on my Cirrus but I didn't think they did 35" 6 string sets.

6. They (TI Jazz Flats) appear to be the flatwound of choice among those participating in the G&L forum. I just installed a set on my '85 L2K and love them (yeah, I know, it's a 4-banger). YMMV, especially if you do a lot of drop tuning, due to the TI's lower tension. For me though, they ROCK!

Oh yeah, I did have to adjust my truss rod a hair.

7. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I love TI flats. Great sounding. The B string isn't as floppy as you would think. Very playable.

8. LoveThatBass

LoveThatBass

Jun 28, 2004
    The TI Jazz Flat will tame the growl of your SR5. They are good sounding for a flat string. Fast plucking will have to be done near the bridge to get enough tension from the string. Other than that...nice string.