1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TI Flatwound - A String - minimum length for Fender P or J model?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jetgloric, Apr 17, 2017.

1. jetgloric

jetgloric

Apr 17, 2017
    Hi - I'm a Rickenbacker 4003 player and bought a new set of JF344 Thomastek-Infeld Flatwounds. The Ric has a 2 x 2 headstock and I accidentally cut the A string too short! Yeah, I know - you'd think that after 50 yrs as a bass player - lol. Anyway, the A string is brand new but cut to a length of 42 in. I'm wondering if this is long enough for a Fender P or J player to get at least one or two full windings on the tuning post for an install that won't slip. Can anyone please verify this? These TI Flats are amazing sounding, but expensive - I ordered a replacement for $20 for just the A string. I'm thinking I could pass this new string on to a Fender player as long as I can be sure there's enough length for a secure install. Thanks!

Actual string info - JF34070 - Thomastek Infeld - .070 - new condition - cut to 42 inches.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  2. On a standard Fender P or J, the distance between where the ball end sits and the A tuner post is roughly 39". That means you still have 3'' to wrap around the post.

3. jetgloric

jetgloric

Apr 17, 2017
    Thanks - this is exactly the info I was after. All the best.

4. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    That's not much to work with. The A string needs to wrap pretty far down the post to prevent buzzing at the nut on a Fender.

5. Pier_

Pier_

Dec 22, 2013
    Roma, Italia
    I've never used more than two windings on the tuning post, and never had buzzes or anything...
    It's just a myth, urban legend.

6. 3" is what I usually need for the A string to have 3-4 wraps on the tuner.

Attached Files:

7. jetgloric

jetgloric

Apr 17, 2017
    I have to agree - it's been awhile since I owned my P-bass, but I feel that 3 inches past the center post of the tuner is plenty to secure a string on any bass.

8. Sorry, but I was mistaken earlier.
    I just re-measured the headstock on my J bass and it's actually more like 5-6 inches I usually use to wrap around the A post. 3 inches would be more like two wraps.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 6, 2021