1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

TI Flatwound string-through question

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by superfunk47, Apr 28, 2009.

1. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    I've seen this addressed before, but I've never seen a straight answer - are TI Jazz Flats okay to use on string through basses?

I know the Labella's supposedly aren't, but TI doesn't seem to advise against it. My concern is looking at the strings going through the body of my 08 Jazz - the G especially has a hard angle put on it not at the saddle, but straight out of the string-through hole. That seems to be more of a risk for breakage than anything else.

Being TI's ($$$) I'd like them to last awhile, but I'd like to use the string through option if possible. I'd especially appreciate advice from anyone with first hand experience stringing them through an 08 Fender.

Thanks! :bassist:

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I haven't strung them through an 08 Fender, but I have them strung through a 2Tek bridge which also has a very steep break angle, and it's been fine for going on six months anyway.

3. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Allot of us on here have done it...no problems.

4. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I've had a set of them on a Carvin string through Hipshot bridge for 6 years now. They sound as good as when they did after they had first been played in. No string has broken even though there's a pretty steep downward angle with this bridge. You don't have to worry about it.

5. GrindYourMind

GrindYourMind

Oct 30, 2008
    They are very long strings, i doubt you will run into any problems from the length. They are BIG though, that could pose a problem.

6. I have two sets on my 96 Precision Fretless and another on a Precision 54 reissue, both strung body-thru. They have been on since last summer with no prorblems. I think the fact they are round core, which makes them more flexible than most hex cores allows them to be able to make the steep angle a little better than most flats. Just my theory anyway.