1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TI flatwounds and Ibanez GSR205

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Joe Lindley, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Joe Lindley

Joe Lindley

Jun 14, 2007
    I'm interested in buying a set of TI flatwounds (JF345) for my 5-string bass, which right now has roundwounds. It is an Ibanez GSR205. My concern is that the hole that the string has to go through on the bridge will be too small, especially the B or E string. I had this problem when I tried the E from a set of flatwound D'Addario Chromes, which is a 100 gauge string (I had these on a 4-string Ibanez and they fit fine). The string itself will pass through the hole, but the problem is that the fabric string that is wound around the string at the bottom makes it too fat to pass through the hole. Does anybody have any experience with the TI jazz flats on my model bass? Has anybody had to get a new bridge or drill the holes out in their bridge to make strings fit?

2. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    Use a drill or little rat tail file to enlarge the hole if necessary. No need to buy a bridge.

3. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    I have no experience with your bass, but you can take a knife or a razor blade and cut the silk off the string. It won't hurt it's functionality atal....

4. Joe Lindley

Joe Lindley

Jun 14, 2007
    So it doesn't actually hold the string together?

5. Joe Lindley

Joe Lindley

Jun 14, 2007
    That's what I thought I might have to do.

6. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    It's a very easy job. You might not even have to do it. You'll know once you try the strings on the bass.

I think you'll love the sound and feel of the Thomastics. I've been using nothing but for the last 10 years on all my basses.

7. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    You can either slice off the silk on the end, or you can drill out the hole a little larger on the bridge. Try the silk part first. No need to be hacking into your bass if that does the trick. Also, moving the saddle of the B string as far forward as possible when stringing it through the hole will allow the string to pass through as straight on as possible. A lot of times, it is just the angle you are pulling the string through that makes it hang. Of course, you'll have to check the intonation of that string afterwards. But you should check your intonation for all strings after every string change anyway.

If you drill out the hole, note that you will be removing some of the protective plating finish of the bridge, so you should dab on some fingernail polish over the exposed metal so it doesn't rust on you.

I have no idea why bridge manufacturers continue to put tiny holes in the bridges (especially 5 string bridges). Most B strings are at least 125.

8. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    Money. It takes less time and parts to drill all the holes the same size.

9. Joe Lindley

Joe Lindley

Jun 14, 2007
    Thanks for all the comments and advice.